HDD Space???

cunctatorg

I admit that I am very stupid... :rolleyes: I had bought back in December 2011 a lovely Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSD and now it's out of available space!!.... Two F*cks plus F*ck squared!! I just made use of this lovely SSD in order to install and run Windows 7 Pro En, NVIDIA drivers, Norton Internet Security, Microsoft Office ... AND SW:TOR ... and 111-114.5 GB have already gone by the bytes!! :mad:

Not to mention that two years ago the OS had to remove the "pagefile.sys" from the primary HDD to the auxiliary one ... and this is a file of 15.9 GB... Inform people about that issue, don't let them believe that SW:TOR needs at least 37 GB of HDD 'cause 120 GB ARE NOT ENOUGH!! :mad: Well, it just needed 38.3 GB so far but you have to also install Windows, Anti-Virus, GPU drivers etc. ... AT LEAST!!

I am ready to buy a 480 GB SSD and reinstall the flaming game after reinstalling NIS... :o Any suggestions?!?

Edited by cunctatorg

So you're blaming Bioware because your windows and other programs take up too much space on your hard drive?

And I realize that the colors and graphics are fun to use and rambling on without actually stating what your question is is a hoot but it makes it hard for those of us trying to help you.

I do not put the blame on BioWare for the 38.3 (or even ... 56,8) GB out of 111 GB of HDD space!

Read more :cool: carefully please:

... Inform people about that issue, don't let them believe that SW:TOR needs at least 37 GB of HDD 'cause 120 GB ARE NOT ENOUGH!! :mad: Well, it just needed 38.3 GB so far but you have to also install Windows, Anti-Virus, GPU drivers etc. ... AT LEAST!!...

Edited by cunctatorg

I am ready to buy a 480 GB SSD and reinstall the flaming game after reinstalling NIS... :o Any suggestions?!?

You don't need to re-install the game. Just copy the entire SWTOR folder to your new drive and run Launcher from there. And them make a new desktop icon or modify the path on the old one, or pin it to the taskbar.

Btw, unless you moved your Libraries and some other stuff to another drive, you may find that your 120Gig SSD has all your documents, downloads, browser cache, etc, taking up much of the space.

So, I suggest you do what I did - I bought a 500Gig SSD to replace my HDD and moved SWTOR (and Libraries) to it. Keep the 120GIG just for the OS.

Or, if you want to replace the 120 Gig with a larger drive, just use cloning software to copy your current system to the new drive.

I admit that I am very stupid
You said it.

don't let them believe that SW:TOR needs at least 37 GB of HDD 'cause 120 GB ARE NOT ENOUGH!! :mad: Well, it just needed 38.3 GB so far but you have to also install Windows, Anti-Virus, GPU drivers etc. ... AT LEAST!!
That 30-whatever GB is how much space is needed just for the game itself. It's not how big of a hard drive is big enough for SWTOR, and the OS, and everything else you want to run on your system. The space taken up by Windows, AV, etc., ... you need that without SWTOR. BW can't control how much other stuff you have on your drive, and how much space all that other stuff needs, and whether or not your drive is big enough for SWTOR plus all that other crap. Edited by Adric_the_Red

Why do you even put SWTOR and the system on the same HDD/SSD? :eek: The system on one and the games and data on another one - that is basic security and safety. :)

Back in December 2011 I had bought a desktop PC with two HDD, one "primary" (not a "master", I guess...) that should be fast enough and thus I had bought one just 120 GB SSD and one just for the data, some saved files etc., thus a "secondary" 600 GB "magnetic (= non-SSD) HDD".

i) It seems to me (and everybody says so!...) that every program I would like to run must be exclusively installed in the "primary" HDD and only data and such in the "secondary" HDD. Now the primary is full of 111GB and there are only 8 GB in the "secondary" plus the 15.9 GB "pagefile.sys" of the Windows 7 OS, read my post above!...

ii) As only the "primary" HDD is the fast one, namely an SSD, I was in fact also obliged to install every program I wished to run there; otherwise no need to buy a 120 GB SSD and one 600 GB "magnetic=classical" HDD, I could buy two 600 GB slow, namely "classical" HDD. Of course this isn't the main issue, the main issue is what I claim in (i)!!... Any ideas, remarks and/or suggestions?!? :cool::eek:

As far as I'm informed and I understand, the two HDD are not subject to the old "master-slave" mechanics; I'm informed that only one is able to run programs!! The fact that this one is also a fast one was a result of this information and my wish to run programs in the fast lane. The fact that I also bought a 600 GB "secondary" has only to do with the fact that these HDD are/were comparatively very cheap and I had decided ..., well..., not to run out of space!! F*ck and f*ck again!! :mad:

You said it.

That 30-whatever GB is how much space is needed just for the game itself. It's not how big of a hard drive is big enough for SWTOR, and the OS, and everything else you want to run on your system. The space taken up by Windows, AV, etc., ... you need that without SWTOR. BW can't control how much other stuff you have on your drive, and how much space all that other stuff needs, and whether or not your drive is big enough for SWTOR plus all that other crap.

I know that, that's why I wrote that people must informed that a "primary" HDD of just 120 GB is not enough ... FOR ALL THESE programs!!

I'm informed that only one is able to run programs!!

You can calm down now. You have been seriously mis-informed. Any drive, SSD or HDD can "run" programs.

I have a 120Gig SSD for the OS (Windows 10) and a 500Gig SSD on which I have SWTOR and other games and apps.

Btw - any reference to a "primary drive" just means the drive that the OS is installed on - otherwise known as the "boot" drive. The rest of the drives are "secondaries" but programs can be run from any of them.

Also - The programs are actually run in the RAM, not on the drives - the drives are just storage.

Take a deep breath, fix your CAPS LOCK KEY!!! and ease up on the bold coloured text. :D

Edited by JediQuaker

I) You don't need to re-install the game. Just copy the entire SWTOR folder to your new drive and run Launcher from there. And them make a new desktop icon or modify the path on the old one, or pin it to the taskbar.

II) Btw, unless you moved your Libraries and some other stuff to another drive, you may find that your 120Gig SSD has all your documents, downloads, browser cache, etc, taking up much of the space.

So, I suggest you do what I did - I bought a 500Gig SSD to replace my HDD and moved SWTOR (and Libraries) to it. Keep the 120GIG just for the OS.

III) Or, if you want to replace the 120 Gig with a larger drive, just use cloning software to copy your current system to the new drive.

III) I know nothing about cloning software, I know nothing about its reliability and I guess that it's either too expensive or unreliable... I guess that re-installing the Norton Internet Security and SW:TOR is less expensive and less cumbersome... :(

II) - I) As far as I am informed, the mechanics of the connection of the two HDD I make use, only permits one (the "primary" HDD to run programs. The other one is just a warehouse, a storage space, a repository! I'll ask again though...

By the way, the OS (Win 7, Prof, English) installed in this "primary" SSD HDD has a system of many files, one file named "Program Files" and one file named "Program Files (x86)"; NIS (Symantec) is installed partly in "Program Files" and partly in "Program Files (x86)" and all SW-TOR is installed in "Program Files (x86)"; in fact a small part of SW-TOR is installed in a sub-file of it called "Common Files" and the bigger part (just 34.3 GB, damn it!!) in another file named "Electronic Arts". It seems to me that it's dangerous to play with all that... :rak_02:

Edited by cunctatorg

You can calm down now. You have been seriously mis-informed. Any drive, SSD or HDD can "run" programs.

I have a 120Gig SSD for the OS (Windows 10) and a 500Gig SSD on which I have SWTOR and other games and apps.

Btw - any reference to a "primary drive" just means the drive that the OS is installed on - otherwise known as the "boot" drive. The rest of the drives are "secondaries" but programs can be run from any of them.

Also - The programs are actually run in the RAM, not on the drives - the drives are just storage.

Take a deep breath, fix your CAPS LOCK KEY!!! and ease up on the bold coloured text. :D

:)Seriously reflect on this I will!!... :csw_yoda:

Take a deep breath, fix your CAPS LOCK KEY!!! and ease up on the bold colored text . :D

:csw_bluesaber: Reflect I did and ask about I also did! :csw_yoda:

Your argument about the RAM as actually running space/device and every HDD as just storage device is obviously correct! Thanks a lot!

Btw, do you have any idea about the meaning of the old "Master-Slave" mechanics, regarding the connection of two HDD?!?

They told me that I can transfer (either by uninstalling and re-installing or by just copying) the Folder "Electronic Arts" (which contains the Folder "BioWare" which contains the folder "Star Wars - The Old Republic") to another HDD, another SSD perhaps and they also claimed that perhaps the "primary HDD" (the one with the OS) should be "slightly" faster than any other HDD, even an SSD...; I really don't know; anyways.

I asked if I could keep the OS (namely ONLY the Folder "Windows") in the "Win 7 (C: )" HDD and move the Folders "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" (which contains the Folder "Electronic Arts" etc.) to another HDD (namely "New Volume (G: )" or whatever and they said to me to not make this because the Folders "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" are presumably Parts,Folders (components or so) of the OS and it's presumably necessary to run these folders from the "primary HDD" where the OS is! Is it so?!?

I asked what to do with the "magnetic" HDD and they said to me to keep it also as a "third" HDD, just to buy a second one HDD, an SSD if great speed is needed, and make use of three HDD.

Btw: what about the 15,9 GB OS file "pagefile.sys"? It had been initially in the "primary" and it has been transferred two years ago to the "secondary" by the OS itself in order to free space of the "primary" HDD. Back to primary or what?!?

:rolleyes: Any suggestions, remarks or whatever?!? Thank you anyways and thanks in advance!! :)

Edited by cunctatorg

The Master/Slave thing was to do with how the old IDE hard drives worked.

They could have 2 drives on each connector. When using 2 drives you set 1 of them to master and the other to slave. It didn't really matter which way around they went, as long as they were set to once of each. It made no difference to the OS/software however

Btw, do you have any idea about the meaning of the old "Master-Slave" mechanics, regarding the connection of two HDD?!?

The Master/slave thing had to do with the old IDE method of connecting drives to the system. It has been replaced by SATA and there's no need to be concerned with it unless you are into computer history.

They told me that I can transfer (either by uninstalling and re-installing or by just copying) the Folder "Electronic Arts" to another HDD, [or] another SSD

Yes. The easiest method is to just "move" it to the other drive. (Move = Copy and then delete the old). After you move it, run Launcher.exe from the new location, to tie SWTOR back into Windows

they also claimed that perhaps the "primary HDD" (the one with the OS) should be "slightly" faster than any other HDD, even an SSD...
Perhaps from a performance angle the OS drive "should" be faster, but there's nothing that makes the drive faster by having the OS on it, and you could have SWTOR on a faster drive if the new SSD happens to be faster.

I asked if I could keep the OS (namely ONLY the Folder "Windows") in the "Win 7 (C: )" HDD and move the Folders "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" to another HDD (namely "New Volume (G: )" or whatever and they said to me to not make this because the Folders "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" are presumably Parts,Folders (components or so) of the OS and it's presumably necessary to run these folders from the "primary HDD" where the OS is! Is it so?!?

Yes and no.

There's more to the OS install than just the Windows folder.

Most of the programs installed in "Program Files" and Program Files (x86)" can't be simply moved to another drive. Most of them would need to be re-installed. (SWTOR is an exception - it can simply be moved.)

There is no problem with having a Program Files and/or Program Files (x86) folder on another drive. (Or several drives.), but there's no need to either.

I asked what to do with the "magnetic" HDD and they said to me to keep it also as a "third" HDD, just to buy a second one HDD, an SSD if great speed is needed, and make use of three HDD.

Yes, you can keep the HDD and add another SSD or just replace the HDD with an SSD.

Btw: what about the 15,9 GB OS file "pagefile.sys"? It had been initially in the "primary" and it has been transferred two years ago to the "secondary" by the OS itself in order to free space of the "primary" HDD.
It's best to leave the page file on the drive with the most free space.

The Master/slave thing had to do with the old IDE method of connecting drives to the system. It has been replaced by SATA and there's no need to be concerned with it unless you are into computer history.
It's also relevant if, like me, you have an old system with a couple EIDE drives in it (not so ancient as to be just plain IDE) It ain't just "computer history", like floppy drives, AGP and VLB slots, or needing to know your hard drive was MFM format or whatever - not yet, anyway.

Yes and no.

There's more to the OS install than just the Windows folder.

Most of the programs installed in "Program Files" and Program Files (x86)" can't be simply moved to another drive. Most of them would need to be re-installed. (SWTOR is an exception - it can simply be moved.)

There is no problem with having a Program Files and/or Program Files (x86) folder on another drive. (Or several drives), but there's no need to either.

:)Thank you very much for your time and particularly for your attention and cautious reply!

I would like to repeat one question which may be important!

I obviously have already the Folders "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" (which are part of the OS Win7,Prof, En) in the "Primary" HDD and there are various programs installed in both Folders.

It is certainly boring but it may also be useful to write down the existing organization (created during the installation of the OS...) of the "Primary" HDD, the (poor) 120 GB SSD.

[[Win7 (C: )

[ $Recycle Bin

Boot (13.8 MB)

Documents and Settings

Intel

MSOCache

NPE

NVIDIA (2.11 GB)

Perflogs

Program Files (8.89 GB)

{it's important to point out that this Folder contains sub-folders like: Common Files, DVD Maker, GIGABYTE (the motherboard's software?!), Google, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Silverlight, MSBuild, NVIDIA Corporation (some extra software regarding the GPU presumably...), Realtek, Reference Assemblies, Symantec (some extra software regarding the Anti-Virus NIS presumably...), TeamSpeak 3 Client, Uninstall Information, Ventrilo, Windows Defender and various Windows programs...}

Program Files (x86) (38.1 GB)

{{it's also important to point out that this very Folder contains sub-folders like: Adobe, Common Files, Electronic Arts (bingo!...), Etron Technology, GIGABYTE, Google, HiDefMedia, ..., Intel, Internet Explorer, JAVA, Microsoft, ..., Microsoft Office, Microsoft Silverlight, ..., MSBuild, Norton Internet Security, NortonInstaller, NVIDIA Corporation, Oracle, ..., Realtek, Reference Assemblies, ..., Windows Defender, Windows Live, ...}}

Program Data (4.98 GB)

{{{ ..., Futuremark, Google, Intel, Microsoft, ..., Mozilla, Norton, Norton Installer, NVIDIA, NVIDIA Corporation, Oracle, ...}}}

Recovery

System Volume Information,

Temp

Users (1.21 GB)

Windows (44.7 GB)

AVScanner.ini

bootmgr

BOOTSECT.BAC

cab.log

hiberfil.sys (11.9 GB)

Install.log

RHDSetup.log

SecurityScanner.dll

and two years ago it also contained the aforementioned

pagefile.sys (15.9 GB) ]]

Well, my question (a hard one to be answered?!?) is exactly the following: can I move (by copy and paste, then delete PERHAPS the old one or (wiser....) some of its content!... ) the already existing Folders "Program Files" and/or "Program Files (x86)" and/or "Program Data" from the "Primary" Win7 (C: ) SSD to another ("secondary") SSD or I just can create another Folder named "Program Files (x86)" to some "secondary" SSD, I'm intending to buy asap?!?

The point is that, during installation of a new Program, the OS always asks permission to install this new Program to an address including a HDD (up to now the "primary" one) and some "Program Files" Folder... :rolleyes:

Of course I could just follow your cautious piece of advice and just move the "Electronic Arts" sub-folder from the folder "Program Files (x86)", already existing in the "primary" SSD, to another drive ... but what about probably new programs to install in the future? The "primary" drive will have not too much space... :cool:

Edited by cunctatorg

Well, my question (a hard one to be answered?!?) is exactly the following: can I move (by copy and paste, then delete PERHAPS the old one or (wiser....) some of its content!... ) the already existing Folders "Program Files" and/or "Program Files (x86)" and/or "Program Data" from the "Primary" Win7 (C: ) SSD to another ("secondary") SSD or I just can create another Folder named "Program Files (x86)" to some "secondary" SSD, I'm intending to buy asap?!?

The point is that, during installation of a new Program, the OS always asks permission to install this new Program to an address including a HDD (up to now the "primary" one) and some "Program Files" Folder... :rolleyes:

Of course I could just follow your cautious piece of advice and just move the "Electronic Arts" sub-folder from the folder "Program Files (x86)", already existing in the "primary" SSD, to another drive ... but what about probably new programs to install in the future? The "primary" drive will have not too much space... :cool:

Leave the program folders for the time being and move only the mentioned SWTOR folder to anywhere you like.

Folder name/path is irrelevant. When you install a new program the installer will usually let you choose a location.

If you never use the hibernation feature you can free up space by disabling it, in your case 12 GB (hiberfil.sys).

To do so, open an elevated command prompt and type powercfg /h off.

Edited by Voidtower

Well, my question is exactly the following: can I move some of its content!... ) the already existing Folders "Program Files" and/or "Program Files (x86)" and/or "Program Data" from the "Primary" Win7 (C: ) SSD to another ("secondary") SSD or I just can create another Folder named "Program Files (x86)" to some "secondary" SSD, I'm intending to buy asap?!?

Yes you can move the folders, but as I already mentioned, most of the programs won't work afterwards.

If you want to move most apps and games, other than SWTOR, you'll need to re-install them.

You can, of course, just move the apps/games and then try to run them from the new location. If they won't run, then re-install them.

You are not required to have a Program Files or Program Files (x86) folder. Windows makes them automatically, and has some specific "permissions" attached to them, but you don't actually need them.

You could - and in fact, I recommend - create a "Games" folder on your new SSD and just copy the SWTOR folder into there. You can leave out all the "program Files", "Electronic Ats, etc, folders. So that, in the end, you have SWTOR installed in D:\Games\SWTOR

The point is that, during installation of a new Program, the OS always asks permission to install this new Program to an address including a HDD (up to now the "primary" one) and some "Program Files" Folder...

The simplest thing to do is - when it says it wants to install to (for example) C:\Program Files\Some Game, simply edit the line and change the "C" to "D" or whatever the drive letter is of the drive you want to install.

Beyond that you could also delete "Program Files" and insert "Games" instead. (for example).