Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to beat Vaylin in Chapter 9

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
How to beat Vaylin in Chapter 9

xXNinjasXx
02.04.2017 , 10:43 AM | #71
Oh my god... After a few attempts of button bashing, I finally defeated her. Here's how I did it:
Stay close to her when she doesn't do that massive pushback ability that takes forever to charge up. I'm not sure about this, but it seems as if you take less damage when right next to her? Idk XD
Her massive ability that takes forever to charge up does have limits area wise. When she starts channelling her ability, go to where you started off from and stick to the far edge. You should see a faint circle, indicating the area in which the ability works in. As long as you stay on the outside of this, you shouldn't get pushed back. After her ability has finished, pick up the memory of healing that spawns basically right next to you to gain some MUCH NEEDED health. A few moments after this, another memory of healing will spawn on the other side of the area you fight vaylin in. You can either pick it up yourself for some more health, or lead vaylin into it, which deals damage to her and stuns her momentarily. For me, I alternated between picking up both memories of healing and luring vaylin to the second memory of healing. After maybe a couple of minutes of fighting her using this method, she should be defeated allowing you to carry on with the story.

I'm not saying this is a perfect method (it may be, who knows? :P), but it certainly worked for me.

P.s. it may be a bit easier if you have health packs, stims etc. , but it should still be possible without them.
Good Luck!

ThaddeusPondgull
02.24.2017 , 10:19 AM | #72
I'm having a problem where I'm entering the green orbs and nothing happens and the same occurs when Vaylin enters one. So either my computer is lagging a lot or I'm not doing something right.

DarthCadius
04.20.2017 , 02:47 PM | #73
So I have a question on this fight.

I am losing LOTS of HP and she is no where near me and the lightning is not on me. She is doing over load and I am like 10+ meters out of the red and jumping. All of a sudden I lose like 50k HP.

Or another thing is that while I am fighting her I am being Dotted but no debuffs. Am I in a bugged fight or something?
Seething hate, rage ANGER I will harness unlimited power.I live off the sufering of the weak, their pain gives me strength, their agony gives me life and their death feeds the force from which I keep their suffering never-ending.

Riaknar
04.20.2017 , 06:42 PM | #74
This was hands down the most boring, long battle I have ever been a part of - the catch is to use force speed right after she stuns you and bolt to a healing circle. The close the distance again. I must have done that nearly a hundred times before she died. By the end it felt more like a job than a game. But hey - its the Eternal Throne: right - and your mind and soul. Whichever comes first for you.

MikeCobalt
04.25.2017 , 04:18 AM | #75
I just made sure I had my back against the stone to the side of the stairs; it was almost as if she came to me, face to face also. I did beat her with my Main (Gunslinger) but it was a Lonngg fight. An endurance thing like others.

cisconetdude
06.26.2017 , 06:21 AM | #76
This is the dumbest fight ever. The developers just wanted you to die over and over until you get frustrated and quit. I have tried this about 50 times and you either die in 5 seconds or you die in 25 seconds. pulling her to the green health pools works wonders but you do not get sprint and she has a force jump that clears any distance and obstacle. once she trashes you on the ground you can say the fight is over as you will be almost dead and she will follow up with a blast or jump that will finish you off. Oh and this is on story mode not vet or master. This is total crap I just wanted to finish the dang story. Gees.

SteveTheCynic
06.27.2017 , 03:03 AM | #77
Quote: Originally Posted by cisconetdude View Post
This is the dumbest fight ever. The developers just wanted you to die over and over until you get frustrated and quit. I have tried this about 50 times and you either die in 5 seconds or you die in 25 seconds. pulling her to the green health pools works wonders but you do not get sprint and she has a force jump that clears any distance and obstacle. once she trashes you on the ground you can say the fight is over as you will be almost dead and she will follow up with a blast or jump that will finish you off. Oh and this is on story mode not vet or master. This is total crap I just wanted to finish the dang story. Gees.
Then read all the advice published in all the threads about this fight. And follow the advice. Recap below.

First part: As solo boss fights in SWTOR go, this is mechanics-heavy. Measured against Ops bosses or Master Mode FP bosses, or almost any boss fight in GW2, the mechanics are almost non-existent, but they *are* significantly heavier than you normally find in SWTOR solo boss fights. (Exceptions: Arcann in Chapter XVI, that one droid in Chapter XIV, the Gemini Captain in Chapter XV, and Vaylin herself in Chapter VIII(ET).)

Second part: how do we beat the mechanics?

There are three main mechanics: damage reflection, a huge knockback and the bouncy thing called Force Slam.

Fight her up close, inside the purple circle attached to her feet. If you fight her from further away, she reflects your attacks and you hurt yourself instead of her. If you're dying really, really fast, this is probably what's doing you in. That is, you are killing yourself.

Force Slam is simple to deal with. This is the ability where you are stunned and she is slamming you up and down, doing huge damage each time you hit the ground. All classes have a "stun break" ability. The tooltip will say something similar to "Purges incapacitating effects". Find yours, put it somewhere useful on your action bars, and use it to counter Force Slam. Do not use it for anything else, because you absolutely don't want it on cooldown when she launches Force Slam.

There is another way to get stunned, of course, so don't get stunned by that other means. Fortunately, it's entirely avoidable.

From time to time, on some condition or other that I haven't needed to find out what it is, she will curl up into a ball and float in the air. She stays like this for about ten seconds (with a cast bar), then launches a huge knockback. If you happen to be thrown into a wall or something, you are stunned for a bit. (This is the stun that's entirely avoidable.) If not, you will learn that HK-55 was right. Meatbags can't fly. (That is, you'll be thrown over the edge of the floating island and you'll die.)

So during those ten seconds, instead of attacking her, run away. There will be a (large) (possibly hard to see) red circle on the floor, with a raised edge that is much easier to see (much like Arcann's yellow cast zones in Chapter XVI). Get beyond that edge. Ten seconds is plenty of time to do this, even on classes like Commando that don't have an ability like "Force Speed". Once outside the red zone, wait for her to finish, or go looking for a green circle to heal yourself.

If you have self-heal abilities, use them as necessary. If you can position yourself so that, after casting the knockback, she approaches you through a green circle, so much the better. She'll take damage equal to 20-25% of her max health each time. If not, then at least touch them yourself while you wait for her to cast the knockback, so that they heal you.

Use damage-reflect abilities against her, if you have them. Use other defensive abilities as necessary. Review and adjust your utility abilities in the "K" panel. Review your gear, and get rid of tank pieces (defense/absorb/shield) if you're not a tank discipline, or add them if you are. In the same vein, tanks should equip Shields, and non-tanks should equip the other thing. Tweak and update your gear to get the best results. Use stiims (Purple requires-level-61 Advanced Versatile Polybiotic for DPS, for example) to give yourself a boost. Bring a medpack. Repair your gear.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

Dmmitry
12.24.2017 , 01:32 PM | #78
It's not VERY hard as some say, but is't VERY boring fight. No way i'm going through KotET story again with another character.

wmtyrance
12.30.2017 , 02:41 PM | #79
After dying a few times i logged out and looked up the fight. Logged back in and didn't bother to attack. I just dragged her into the healing circles which give her major damage. She died quickly that way. Don't waste time trying to fight her when the healing circles do more damage than i could. I'M a Jedi Sage.