Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Exploits and Galactic Command

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Exploits and Galactic Command
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Nmyownworld
11.28.2016 , 10:42 PM | #41
The first post restates BW's exploit policy. I don't have an issue with this. Part of the second post is vague.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
The reason that we put out this messaging is that we know players are going to want to push the boundaries to gain CXP as fast as possible, and we are totally ok with that. I just wanted to caution how you go about those gains and should you find a way to gain CXP that goes around intended mechanics, it could be an exploit. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is, report it to us so we can see if there is an issue.
Sure, a blatant exploit is clear. Say a player found a way to bypass the CXP weekly cap limit. Okay, I get it -- BW would consider this an exploit, "going around intended mechanics." I think the vague part of this post is the things ingame that have been there so long and never previously considered exploits.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rolodome View Post
I appreciate the response and I understand you are just the messenger, but I want to make a point of noting that the following statement:

is a tautology, aka: circular.

"What is an exploit?" It's what isn't intended.

"What's not intended?" Anything that is an exploit.

Might seem obvious to the devs, since they know what their intentions were, but we don't all know what the intentions are.
Rolodome expresses my concern. We don't know what was not considered exploiting in pre-5.0 could be considered exploiting in 5.0. Where's the line we aren't supposed to cross without committing what is considered an exploit? The only blatant exploit I can imagine is somehow bypassing the weekly CXP cap. Otherwise, the line not to cross is vague.

There's the potential for gains other than CXP from exploits. I get it. My concern is about what BW gave a wink and a nod to in pre-5.0 becoming exploits in 5.0 because of CXP. What's been done by players for so long that, while never as intended by BW, is done all the time but might now be considered an exploit?

MeNaCe-NZ
11.28.2016 , 11:23 PM | #42
Soo of all the posts and frustration you purposely ignore with 5.0 you decide to post this?

You've basically just admitted there is an exploit,, BWA know what it is and will be watching vigilantly and handle any and all instances of exploitation.

Lol yeah ok sure because BWA have proven so well in the past they are more intelligent than the exploiters at getting on top of these things hence the blown out economy on vanity items after the recent exploits. Great job of tracing and removing those credits.

I think if there is indeed an exploit and you went ahead and went live with it anyway then that's incredibly poor of BWA not to mention posts like this which basically encourage those who would exploit to actively hunt for one now.

I don't think I've ever seen more negative attitude towards an expansion so if there is an exploit expect it to be taken advantage of more than ever as this time there is just far more people who just wouldn't give a **** about consequences.

But hey maybe I'm wrong and I'm interpreting this all incorrectly, there is no exploit and this was all pre-emptive posting "just in case" but how strange to get this post when we got stuff all else in ways of communication recently.

ivanhedgehog
11.28.2016 , 11:52 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by MeNaCe-NZ View Post
Soo of all the posts and frustration you purposely ignore with 5.0 you decide to post this?

You've basically just admitted there is an exploit,, BWA know what it is and will be watching vigilantly and handle any and all instances of exploitation.

Lol yeah ok sure because BWA have proven so well in the past they are more intelligent than the exploiters at getting on top of these things hence the blown out economy on vanity items after the recent exploits. Great job of tracing and removing those credits.

I think if there is indeed an exploit and you went ahead and went live with it anyway then that's incredibly poor of BWA not to mention posts like this which basically encourage those who would exploit to actively hunt for one now.

I don't think I've ever seen more negative attitude towards an expansion so if there is an exploit expect it to be taken advantage of more than ever as this time there is just far more people who just wouldn't give a **** about consequences.

But hey maybe I'm wrong and I'm interpreting this all incorrectly, there is no exploit and this was all pre-emptive posting "just in case" but how strange to get this post when we got stuff all else in ways of communication recently.
You just dont understand. This is BW's way of building excitement for their latest masterpiece!!! Feel the hype!!

ekwalizer
11.28.2016 , 11:56 PM | #44
If only there were a place where large numbers of people that actually know how to play this game could search these potential problems out in advance of it going to live servers ....
Let this sink in, this game is Free to Play, boasts one of the most popular IPs on the planet and yet 76.47% of the servers are empty.

Aeristash
11.28.2016 , 11:58 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by kvandertulip View Post
Do many MMOs you play preempt an exploit that they already know exists with warnings and threats, instead if fixing the expoit? It takes just as much effort for them to police the players that use it, as it does for them to fix it.
If you're playing the straight & narrow and not looking for shortcuts to speed up cxp or get more crates than allowed, you got nothing to worry about. Those sweating over supposed exploits will be the ones trying to find short cuts to lighten their workload.

MeNaCe-NZ
11.29.2016 , 12:25 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by ivanhedgehog View Post
You just dont understand. This is BW's way of building excitement for their latest masterpiece!!! Feel the hype!!
"Rumor' has it from "sources" that there are indeed discovered exploits from pts about to make it into live hence this heads up. Not even hard to discover ones either.

Honestly if that's the case it's just not good enough. It happened before where they ignored pts reports of exploits that made it to live and the fall out was massive, for it to happen again ... I hope it's just rumor anyway, people pay for this product ffs.

Sundown
11.29.2016 , 12:41 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Aeristash View Post
If you're playing the straight & narrow and not looking for shortcuts to speed up cxp or get more crates than allowed, you got nothing to worry about. Those sweating over supposed exploits will be the ones trying to find short cuts to lighten their workload.
That is a rather narrow minded comment. Finding the easiest or most rewarding way is and always has been part of the game. It is rather natural. You need to think out of the box to be able to do it - something I consider a value rather than dismiss it. You need to be smart to be able to be lazy and successfull at once.

You of course seem to be more into walking down that path having laid before you by the stampede...

Halinalle
11.29.2016 , 12:45 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Rolodome View Post
I mean, say I stumble upon an exploit and accidentally do it once. How can you tell the difference between that and testing it, or that and doing it intentionally to get unintended rewards/progression? I don't see how you possibly could tell the difference and if you punish for first time offenders, that's not going to be taken well.
Maybe you should figure out at some point that "something's wrong here. this shouldn't be possible."

If you're experienced gamer you can't just accidentally exploit a bug or mechanic that devs didn't block and be like "that must be part of the game!".

MeNaCe-NZ
11.29.2016 , 12:53 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Halinalle View Post
Maybe you should figure out at some point that "something's wrong here. this shouldn't be possible."

If you're experienced gamer you can't just accidentally exploit a bug or mechanic that devs didn't block and be like "that must be part of the game!".
Sort of like when the odd person sold a chat back to a vendor and got punished/warned because it was giving more credits than it cost to buy even though those specific people may have only done it once and legitimately and never known it cost more?

It's an extreme example I guess but it goes to show it is indeed possible to just be doing something ordinary and be "viewed" as trying an exploit 1 time once it's out in the wild.

TyHeaton
11.29.2016 , 01:07 AM | #50
As idiotic as a lot of the doomsayers in this thread are, even I have to agree that saying "an exploit is doing something in a way that isn't intended" is incredibly vague.