Healer's role?

Jagaimee

...is to heal, obviously. :p Or, at least, it is in PvE. I've never done a warzone...heck, my only experience with PvP was wayyyyy back before 3.0 when some marauder surprised my gunslinger. (Outcome: I panicked and lost. XD) But now, for DvL, I'm levelling a sorc healer - which is really, really fun.

Currently, he's level 24-ish, and I still have the introduction to warzones quest blinking away in my quest log. Which leads me to my question - what is a healer's role in a lowbie warzone? Should I concentrate just on healing my teammates, or should I try to do some damage, or go after objectives (...which would probably lead to me running about like a headless chicken)? Or a blend of all three?

For that matter, is level 24 far too late to start doing warzones? From the way people talk on here, and in-game, I need to be level 15 and IMMEDIATELY head into warzones if I want to do them at all.

Level 24 is not too late. Don't be afraid to just hop in and have at it. You'll have more fun that way, anyway.

Sorc healers are very strong in pvp. If I were you, I'd mainly just focus on healing. You'll slowly learn the maps and objectives. You should not node guard as a healer, especially as somebody new to warzones. It's situational, but you should definitely focus most of your efforts on healing. People will love you - every dps wants a healer in warzones. :DOn the flip side, everybody on the other team will hate you and you'll have a big target marker over your head much of the time, haha.

Edited by teclado

Level 24 is not too late. Don't be afraid to just hop in and have at it. You'll have more fun that way, anyway.

Sorc healers are very strong in pvp. If I were you, I'd mainly just focus on healing. You'll slowly learn the maps and objectives. You should not node guard as a healer, especially as somebody new to warzones. It's situational, but you should definitely focus most of your efforts on healing. People will love you - every dps wants a healer in warzones. :DOn the flip side, everybody on the other team will hate you and you'll have a big target marker over your head much of the time, haha.

Thank you!! A'right, so, focus on healing. [meditates] Be like a barnacle. Attach self to DPS and/or tank and DON'T. LET. GO. On the plus side, I get someone to hide behind should the entire other team come screaming after me. A symbiotic relationship.

...Got it. :D

And thank you for the healing guide, Razortron. I've looked up guides on Dulfy, but they all seem to be for level 65. I'll be sure to study that in detail. :D

IIRC, the intro to warzones mission rewards you with a few items, including relics. When you enter a warzone, you'll get bolstered to level 65 equivalent and you'll get some expertise. You want to have something in all 14 slots (including relics, earpiece, implants, etc.) as soon as possible, because that affects how much bolster you receive. With fewer than 14 pieces equipped, you'll get less expertise. The maximum expertise with level 65 pvp gear is 2018. At under level 65, you can get up to about 1936 IIRC. You'll want to get to that 1936 number. If you don't already have all 14 pieces, that doesn't preclude you from running warzones. Just something to keep in mind and fill those slots when you get the pieces.

Level 24 is a great time to start PvPing. You've got some spells now. Life will get much better at 26 when you get Innervate, but you can use those two levels to get the feel for how things are.

Just make sure you have some piece of gear in every slot. Doesn't even matter what it is... just something.

Your main job is to keep everyone alive. That doesnt mean its necessary to keep them at full health. The first priority on your list is yourself. Next would be your tank, if you have one. Outside of that, I try to determine who is playing well and kinda prioritize them over the people who just sit in the damage and do not use their DCDs. But if I can heal everyone, I will.

Since you are your own first priority, you'll have to be very watchful of your position. Do not get flanked if you can keep from it. If you get leapt to, do not stand still. Move. I always move around, even retreat very far away, to make the melee get tired of chasing me. Hopefully the team will help get the melee off you. The ranged attackingyou, you'll need to LoS and CC them.

I pre-emptive bubble alot as well. And if the battle is at a lull or no one is taking dmg, I use that time to start handing out bubbles again. The only time I stop mashing buttons is when there are no more bad guys or no more health needing repaired.

Thats your immediate concern.

Secondarily, you make a great person to activate nodes. You can click nodes as the battle allows you (when people are not in threat of dying) and they can stay on point. Not only does this give you a chance at gaining the node, but it also makes them get off their current target and try to get to you. You have to realize that you'll likely be switched to so you don't want to do this without some exit plan in mind.

Same goes with interrupting enemy node clicks. Force storm has incredible reach, since it has a max distance and the radius as well. The mechanics of LoS will let your AOE reach around the side of a node where a single target ability might be LoSd.

I always have grenades, mez grenades and stun grenades. I don't care if its regs or ranked, I use them both. Stun grenades in the fray, mez grenades on outliers.

Additionally, do not be shy about using your damage spells. When I'm in a 2v2 at a side node, I'll always make sure I'm using my instant casts at the very least, and Force Lightning. So thats shock, force slow, the green dot, force lightning.

Lastly, I'm always looking for opportunities to CC. I will hardcast Whirlwind on ranged DPS all day long. I'll look for people who I can interrupt with knockback and interrupt as well.

Stay mobile, always be aware of positioning and heal - after you've mastered that, try and assist the situation in auxiliary fashions.

Edited by Wimbleton

Sorcerer healing guide here.

*finally watches that video*

......boooooooo. :p

* whew *

Whoa. Thank you, SO MUCH! That's amazingly helpful. I just got Innervate at level 26 (yay for skyrocketing XP gains), so that'll be nice to have. As soon as I get two missing pieces of gear for the slots I don't have filled yet, I'll FINALLY be ready for PVP. Huh...actually kind of excited about this.

Whoa. Thank you, SO MUCH! That's amazingly helpful. I just got Innervate at level 26 (yay for skyrocketing XP gains), so that'll be nice to have. As soon as I get two missing pieces of gear for the slots I don't have filled yet, I'll FINALLY be ready for PVP. Huh...actually kind of excited about this.

Also don't judge yourself a lot by lowbies. Sorc turns into a real healer with its post-50 abilities and utilities. (Roaming mend, phase walk, barrier, stun bubble, innervate on the move.)

A great time to do PVP is in lowbie or midbie, since you get the bolster & you don't have to worry about expertise.

Also doing you're daily & weekly for PVP will give a great amount of XP with an active boost & double XP

It will enable you to get you DVL achievement done & out of the way as well

Rules:

1.) Stay alive!

2.) Keep your members alive!

3.) Ban different effects from your mates.

4.) Mark enemy roles (healer, tank, main targets)

5.) Disturb your enemies, with roots, kicks, cc, e.g.

6.) Do Damage.

Do not:

- defend anything

- stay at one position

- try to solokill

- let you seperate from your group

- do nothing, because nothing happens

the first wz you only can heal and try to stay alive.

the more games you play, the more you can support

your team.

if you think, you are an average sorc heal,

delete it and try merc or operative. much more

fun to play.

Edited by fabsus

Don't worry. Soon they'll be replaced by merc healers and nets will fly all over the warzone.

I don't think they are changing any numbers for merc healers, just increase survivability. Which means it's still the worst AoE healing class, most abilities casted, poor energy management and remember that having 2 merc healers is a heal loss because Kolto Shell/Trauma Probeis can stack only once so even if there are 4 merc healers only 1 of them will use Kolto Shell. I would really love to see sorc healers replaced with mercs in 5.0. When i see 4 sorc healers that are healing each other with roaming mend i want to puke.

I don't think they are changing any numbers for merc healers, just increase survivability. Which means it's still the worst AoE healing class, most abilities casted, poor energy management and remember that having 2 merc healers is a heal loss because Kolto Shell/Trauma Probeis can stack only once so even if there are 4 merc healers only 1 of them will use Kolto Shell. I would really love to see sorc healers replaced with mercs in 5.0. When i see 4 sorc healers that are healing each other with roaming mend i want to puke.

Well, tbh i'm more afraid of the multitude of arsenal mercs that would flood the warzones.

Well, hopefully today or tomorrow I'll get a chance to do a PvP match... wasn't able to, the past few days. So if you're on Ebon Hawk and you see a tiny purple-gray togruta sorcerer running around like his montrals are on fire (which they just might be), frantically healing anybody in sight... wave and say hi; that's me. :D

And if you're on the other team....uh..... *awkward crickets chirping*

@OP

I'd like to hear your feedback on how its been going. If you would like, I'd be happy to queue along side you on Harbinger or I could make a char wherever you are. I could make a tank and tank for you or play a healer along side you and we could watch each other play and critique our mistakes and talk about our good plays.

Lemme know.

@OP

I'd like to hear your feedback on how its been going. If you would like, I'd be happy to queue along side you on Harbinger or I could make a char wherever you are. I could make a tank and tank for you or play a healer along side you and we could watch each other play and critique our mistakes and talk about our good plays.

Lemme know.

I had made up my mind to PvP yesterday, to work off the stress of the election. ...and then I just worried and stressed about the election and didn't PvP. Whoops. THEREFORE, TODAY SHALL BE THE DAY. Hopefully.

Wow, thank you for that offer! That's really kind of you. :) Playing alongside someone would be wonderful, and I'd take you up on that - I'm on the Ebon Hawk - but my play schedule is really erratic. I hardly know, myself, when I get a chance to play and when I can't. Trying to coordinate with someone else would be kind of a hassle for both me and you... sorry; but thank you, again, for offering!