Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

GSF and the Republic Hyperspace Armada - Easy Incentives for Participation

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
GSF and the Republic Hyperspace Armada - Easy Incentives for Participation

JediBoadicea
10.30.2016 , 01:05 PM | #1
I wanted to suggest a change that might give some love to two of the game's long neglected game modes (GSF and Space missions), which I also hope will be both easy to implement and effective in drumming up more participation (and giving more rewards to the most loyal players). I'll cut right to the chase:

Allow GSF to earn reputation with the Republic Hyperpsace Armada / Imperial First Mobile Fleet faction. Have the Daily and Weekly missions for GSF reward rep trophies for this faction. I believe that both the folks who still enjoy doing the Space missions and GSFers would benefit from this merge, provided it went hand in hand with the next suggestion:

Add more items to the Armada / Mobile Fleet / Fleet Comm vendors, gated by reputation level requirements. For ages, in many forum posts and at community cantinas, GSF fans have tried to suggest that adding more rewards for GSF would do a great deal to promote the game mode (and to reward loyal GSFers by the wayside - who are sitting on heaps of Fleet Commendations they can't buy much with ). By merging GSF with the Armada / Mobile Fleet reputation faction you bring in even more players, all of whom could be motivated by the promise of more rewards as their reputation level goes up. Additionally, the merge of GSF & Space missions for this faction would open up new avenues for folks to get those items (their choice of Space or GSF), and it would give completionists incentive to try game modes they don't normally try in order to max out that rep.

For items to add to the vendor, here are some suggestions I can think of:
  • More cosmetic pilot related gear (including navy & tech uniforms) - take a look at the many outfits the NPC personnel on the Starfighter Launch Decks at the two Fleets are wearing for some examples.
  • Space themed decorations - In this thread several people chimed in with ideas for space themed decos, and I linked to a couple in my SH suggestions thread here (one of those suggested items are showing up in next month's pack which is awesome). Chief of all - artwork, artwork, artwork! Use all that gorgeous concept art!
  • Additional astromech pets - preferably some sized a little larger than the miniaturized ones we've already got.
  • Some of the more rare GSF cosmetic items (such as the epic rarity pink-purple engine reactant and canisters)

This next suggestion is sort of separate from the overall point of this post, and I realize it may not be terribly likely (probably some coding nightmare behind it, trying to interface the closed environment of the GSF hangar with the open environment of vendors), but just because it never hurts to ask I'll add:

Allow us to transfer GSF Ship and Fleet Requisition between characters. The best example is of course the legacy-bound Warzone comm grants... which is ironic, yes, since those are about to be removed. But if it's at all possible to interface GSF Requisition with the outside-hangar world, some way to buy legacy-bound grants would be awesome. The GSF community has asked for years for legacy-wide requisition. It remains a great idea. Even if (assuming GSF could gain rep with the Armada / Mobile Fleet) one had to be at a certain reputation rank before being able to purchase these legacy transfers, it would still be great - both incentive and reward in one!

Post updated on 10/31/16 with the confirmed news that Fleet Commendations will remain in the game with 5.0!

Sorrai
10.30.2016 , 11:31 PM | #2
Thank you for posting these great suggestions. They are very solid and I support this 100%. I am a passionate fan of GSF and it has been very upsetting to see such an awesome mini-game fall into this state of decline and neglect for so long. Merging GSF with the Hyperspace Armada/Imperial First Mobile Fleet reputation faction is a practical and smart idea.

Devs, STOP TORTURING YOUR GSF FANS and start giving more incentives for players to participate!!!

BenduKundalini
10.31.2016 , 01:23 AM | #3
/signed

nepochop
10.31.2016 , 04:49 AM | #4
I dont approve the Hyperspace Armada reputation gain. I am now farming the reputation to buy the Tirsa speeder for the achievment. Its been a few weeks and this is my last and im gonna get the speeder.

Others before me have done the same, although this was easier at the start when missions were repeatable every day i think (but not sure). It took the people before me and me a lot of time to get the reputation up. They shouldnt take that effort away from us!

JediBoadicea
10.31.2016 , 11:54 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by nepochop View Post
I dont approve the Hyperspace Armada reputation gain. I am now farming the reputation to buy the Tirsa speeder for the achievment. Its been a few weeks and this is my last and im gonna get the speeder.

Others before me have done the same, although this was easier at the start when missions were repeatable every day i think (but not sure). It took the people before me and me a lot of time to get the reputation up. They shouldnt take that effort away from us!
I confess I am not really understanding the reasons for your argument against this suggestion. Could you clarify? You yourself mention that the way reputation for this faction works has changed since it was introduced; change is the nature of MMOs. The change I am now suggesting actually favors players by giving them an additional option for reputation gain.

My suggestion in no way takes your effort away from you, it merely offers a choice of avenues by which reputation with this faction could be acquired - Space missions or GSF. People farming this rep via GSF still have to put in all the work, just via a different method. Some people will love one game mode and hate the other, and still be taking an exclusive track toward rep gain. A very few people might love both, in which case they are being rewarded for devoting more time to the game... which is precisely the point of reputation gain, is it not? (Not to mention the general thrust behind the new Galactic Command system altogether.)

More importantly, neither Space missions nor GSF have received much in the way of attention or love for a very long time, so one of the hopes behind my suggestion is that by lumping them together we can get some attention and reward for both more easily, by combining the player base and thus making it more likely to get developer attention.

Additionally, assuming that GSF were rolled into this reputation faction, Space missions would still be at an advantage for reputation gain (if for some reason that truly is very important to you). See the following breakdown, using a base reputation game average of 270 for green trophies and 630 for blue trophies, and assuming that GSF Dailies were to be given greens and the Weekly a blue:

Space missions can currently earn 4,050 rep per week: 1 green + 6 blues.

GSF could potentially only earn 2,520 per week: 7 greens + 1 blue. (And never mind the fact that GSFers would be at the mercy of queue pops, while Space missions can be run solo at will at any time.)

But even balanced like this, I am 100% certain that every loyal GSFer out there would happily take that deal. Because right now they've got nothing in terms of rewards of any kind.

LyraineAlei
10.31.2016 , 12:00 PM | #6
*signs*

A little more incentive to do those things again, if at all in the first place never hurts.

caederon
10.31.2016 , 01:08 PM | #7
Integrating GSF into the systems of the 'main' game is long overdue. Giving people additional choices for how to productively spend their time in the game is easy to support. I hope they consider your ideas.

- Despon

HeatRacer
10.31.2016 , 02:15 PM | #8
Agreed. With all of this.
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

nepochop
10.31.2016 , 03:47 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by JediBoadicea View Post
I confess I am not really understanding the reasons....
Still dont agree, u get much more than 4k rep per week, with 2 toons u reach the cap. Im using 3 toons in order to avoid the "Impossible Sector" mission which is long, too easy and daily available rewarding the smallest green reputation item.

Its also not the same. GSF has over 2600 achievement points and Space missions only few. You are gaining much more by doing GSF, credits, achievements titles etc. Its really good as it is with the reputation gain.

JediBoadicea
10.31.2016 , 04:11 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by nepochop View Post
Still dont agree, u get much more than 4k rep per week, with 2 toons u reach the cap. Im using 3 toons in order to avoid the "Impossible Sector" mission which is long, too easy and daily available rewarding the smallest green reputation item.

Its also not the same. GSF has over 2600 achievement points and Space missions only few. You are gaining much more by doing GSF, credits, achievements titles etc. Its really good as it is with the reputation gain.
I am still not following your arguments, Nepochop. By your own words here, by the strategy you yourself are taking, Space missions net you significantly more in reputation gain even than what I articulated in my earlier post, which was already almost twice as much as what GSF might gain were it to be included. What you say you are achieving here by running Space missions with two characters, a GSFer would only be able to achieve using 4-5 characters - a proposition that is extremely unlikely, due to being reliant on queue pops and unable to just trigger a mission whenever they want. Further, Space missions take 3-7 minutes each (again available on demand) while GSF matches will takes 2 to 3 times as long (again, only if you're lucky enough to get a match pop).

It's true that GSF offers more in the way of achievements, but that is because, as PVP, the number of variables involved are greater. Even so, in my opinion I feel it is fair to say that achievements are not at all comparable to material in-game rewards (cosmetic & vanity items) in terms of motivation. By that measure, GSF suffers enormously by comparison, since it currently has zero exclusive in-game rewards.

My suggestion takes absolutely nothing away from players who enjoy flying Space missions. In fact, were both parts of my suggestion to be taken into consideration then players who enjoy flying Space missions benefit at no cost to them, with the addition of more rewards being made available to them!

But all of that is really beside the point, in my opinion. Ultimately it comes down to this: What could it possibly hurt to reward more of the player base? To incentivize more people to try both modes - Space and GSF? The addition of new and more universally attractive items for that reputation faction might convince some Space mission folks to try GSF, and some GSF folks to try Space missions, and even - most crucial of all - some players who've never tried either mini-game to explore whichever one of the two they want? The more players playing a game mode, the more attention the game mode will get from the devs, and the more those players who already enjoy the game mode(s) will benefit.

I may be misinterpreting you (and if so please correct me), but it sounds as though what you're ultimately saying is that you don't want the game to be more inclusive, because in the past you did it a certain way and therefore it should never change. That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me; it's not healthy for the game, either from an evolutionary standpoint or from a population standpoint. The more opportunities more players have to feel motivated (always searching for a new shiny!) the better. I would not be at all opposed to GSF getting its own brand new reputation faction, but given that we haven't seen new factions introduced in years that seems extremely unlikely; killing two birds with one stone by bringing two smaller communities within the game together to form one stronger community seems to make much more sense (and be much more feasible). Especially considering they already share the same token currency (Fleet Commendations), a currency that is not going away in 5.0.