Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The Case for an Alderaan Stronghold

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Strongholds
The Case for an Alderaan Stronghold

Capella's Avatar


Capella
10.28.2016 , 01:05 PM | #1
I've been wanting an Alderaan stronghold ever since the Strongholds system was announced. Here's my reasonings why and ideas for what could go along with it. I'd be happy to hear other people's suggestions.


Plausibility

There are many planets on which I'd love to have a stronghold, but recognize that due to lore and story, it might not be possible. For example, while Voss is a lovely planet I'd be happy to live on, the Voss have an indifference towards outsiders and the fact that they contain the aliens into a specific trade quadrant means we probably aren't getting a wilderness mansion. Likewise, Manaan is beautiful and often requested, but the Selkath are also isolationist and unlikely to want outsiders having a retreat in their sacred spaces.

So why do I think Alderaan is plausible?
  • It's on a planet both Republic and Empire can access.
  • It's neutral territory not owned by either side.
  • Given that most of the player classes have done decent-sized favors for at least one noble House during their class stories, and that doing the factional planetary quests give you popularity among others, it makes sense the PC would have the resources to acquire some land.


Appearance

What would an Alderaan stronghold look like?

1.) It's a different type of environment from what we have now
  • It's not a sterile desert like Tatooine ; an untamed wilderness like Yavin ; or a city-bound apartment like Nar Shaddaa, Kaas, or Coruscant
  • If they keep it with the lighting of the planet it will have a clear neutral lighting (unlike Tatooine and Yavin and Nar Shaddaa and Kaas) . Alternately maybe they'll give it some kind of weather like snowy or make it set at night or something
  • There's the chance to have dramatic environmental features (mountains, waterfalls) like with Kaas or Tatooine
  • If there aren't thrantas circling in the sky or vorn tigers prowling outside I'm going to be disappointed


2.) There's some cool architecture options:
  • There's the towering mansion style (think House Organa or Thul): a central large building, 2-3 stories, with a big hall in the middle and large sized rooms on each floor, with the outside views being balconies like in the current city strongholds. Maybe there's a small courtyard where one could put statues or a garden, and overlooking a pond or river or the mountains.
  • There's the large courtyard moderate house style of stronghold (like House Cortess): a big walled courtyard area with plenty of room for sculptures, fountains, gardens, etc would dominate this design. There could also be a few smaller buildings in the courtyard that are single rooms that serve as like, stables or storage or guard facilities. There would be a main building near the back of the stronghold that would be the main house, 2 stories, with a grand hall and some public-oriented rooms (for trophies or meetings) on the first floor, while the second floor would have rooms intended for the family's use (bedrooms or studies).
  • Something that doesn't look like the noble Houses at all. Maybe it's a small retreat in the woods that used to be a hunting preserve, and it would have lots of open space, a river, a medium size building to live in and maybe one or two smaller ones.
  • A ruined retreat your character's fixing up. This would be more like Yavin is now, with open outdoor areas and a building that's not entirely sound - it'd be based off of the Elysium area, a former place of culture and learning and import. There could be some parts of it fixable to live in as private rooms and other areas exposed to the elements.


Decorating

Alderaan would be an awesome stronghold to add because there are a bunch of awesome Alderaan-themed decos already in the game, and there's a lot of potential to add more decorations that could appear in game in a bunch of ways.
  • Allegiance: The Noble House banners and flags. We have Ulgo, Thul, Rist, and Alde banners and flags in game. We're lacking Organa, Teral, Cortess, Panteer, and others. Adding additional House banners and flags would be great to give your stronghold the feeling of being owned by someone aligned to the noble House(s) of your choice - and it's criminal we don't have Organa for the Republic when we have Thul for the Empire.
  • Personnel: People make strongholds look lively, and there's a bunch of relevant categories.
    a.)Nobles: male and female nobles wearing the liveries of all the Houses
    b.) Guards: male and female guards wearing the guard armor of all the Houses
    c.) Civilians: bartenders, waitresses, servants, people standing around conversing
  • Furniture and Civic: Art, sculpture, and various kinds of furniture
    a.)Statues: There are a few kinds of sculptures we see around Alderaan, including the statue with a book and a columnar one, which would look good.
    b.) Artwork and Collectibles: There's already an Alderaan painting and the one you get from Civil War pvp, but what about adding some more art? A Thranta or Vorn Tiger one to match the nerfs one; some paintings of the major Houses; maybe some mounted weapons like swords to look like ornamental pieces
    c.) Furniture: The elegant themes of Alderaan would lend themselves well to a set of furniture like the craftable Voss ones. I'm thinking desks, chairs, a few ceiling and wall lights that actually cast light (as sconces or chandeliers), a couple fancy bed options (canopy bed?); more libraries
    d.) Outdoor Decor: there's a few beautiful fountain designs found on Alderaan (the long ones outside of House Organa); the curved sculpture found on the Elysium and other locations
  • Environmental:
    a.) Animals: Tethered thrantas, pacing vorn tigers or manka cats, a few big fluffy nerfs - there's a lot that could be added
    b.) Plants: The noble Houses tend to have gardens. So plant arrangements would be great (something like the Yavin tree plot but with the deciduous-like trees or evergreens we see on Alderaan), something formal and flowery like orchids, etc.

I'm sure other people could come up with more great ideas to this stronghold. Please, let me know what you think!
The Sunfall Legacy - Ebon Hawk
Max-level chars: Capella (Guardian) ; Ishev (Commando) ; Thyreophora (Vanguard) ; Auriva (Juggernaut) ; Khouris (Sorcerer) ; Xadhira (Marauder)
Please fix the Zabrak skin tone bug!

Capella's Avatar


Capella
10.28.2016 , 01:06 PM | #2
Acquisition

Here's the most radical idea I have for this stronghold: Give us three ways to earn it, not just the traditional two we've had.

1.) Buy the unlock with credits from the Fleet terminal - pay credits to re-activate if it's ever closed. Let's say it's 3 million credits for the base.
2.) Buy the unlock with Cartel Coins from the Fleet terminal - do not pay credits to re-activate if it's ever closed. Let's say it's 2,000 CCs for the base.
3.) Make the stronghold unlockable via an item acquired when reaching reputation cap with the new Alderaan reputation track

I propose adding a rep track that works exactly like Voss reputation does right now. Add a weekly "Befriending Alderaan" quest that is updated by completing all of the heroics. Completing each heroic rewards a blue rep token in addition to the credit and commendation/lockbox/Galactic Command XP rewards. Completing the weekly quest provides a purple rep token. There may be green tokens dropped from mobs during the heroics or elsewhere on planet.

As you advance through the rep track, you can purchase items from vendors located in the House capital for your side. These items include:
-decos
-mounts
-armor sets for the Noble Houses that don't have sets (currently missing include Baliss, Cortess, Girard, Teral)
-personnel
-noble titles

The vendor will also sell an item called the Stronghold Key. It requires the full reputation to buy, and costs a significant amount less than buying the unlock with credits from the fleet (maybe 1 million or even only 500,000) - reflecting the fact that you put a lot of work into earning it. Maybe there's even a short quest where a representative of the noble House your side is aligned with commends you for your service to their House and the planet and rewards you with a small piece of land.

This would be a way of earning the stronghold that doesn't currently exist for the other ones. It would reward players for doing the rep grind. It would provide something to work towards, and if all the vendor items were available for credits it could be a credit sink. I think it would be more of a novelty than just spending CCs to get the stronghold.

What do other folks think?
The Sunfall Legacy - Ebon Hawk
Max-level chars: Capella (Guardian) ; Ishev (Commando) ; Thyreophora (Vanguard) ; Auriva (Juggernaut) ; Khouris (Sorcerer) ; Xadhira (Marauder)
Please fix the Zabrak skin tone bug!

KindlyOne's Avatar


KindlyOne
10.28.2016 , 06:43 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Capella View Post
This would be a way of earning the stronghold that doesn't currently exist for the other ones. It would reward players for doing the rep grind. It would provide something to work towards, and if all the vendor items were available for credits it could be a credit sink. I think it would be more of a novelty than just spending CCs to get the stronghold.
There's no Alderaan reputation, is there? Just so I understand this: you're asking for more grind in an MMO forum? Isn't that like standing on a hill in the middle of a thunderstorm, flying a kite, and yelling, 'All Gods are bastards!'?

Be careful what you ask for.
________________________________________
"There's but three Furies found in spacious hell;
But in a great man's breast three thousand dwell."
The White Devil, Act IV, Scene iii.

BenduKundalini's Avatar


BenduKundalini
10.31.2016 , 01:05 AM | #4
Most excellent!

/signed

Capella's Avatar


Capella
10.31.2016 , 11:46 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by KindlyOne View Post
There's no Alderaan reputation, is there? Just so I understand this: you're asking for more grind in an MMO forum? Isn't that like standing on a hill in the middle of a thunderstorm, flying a kite, and yelling, 'All Gods are bastards!'?

Be careful what you ask for.
Correct that there is no Alderaan reputation right now. I'm proposing one be added to facilitate this. When the legacy reputation system got added there was Voss, Oricon, Section X, etc - I don't think any new ones have been added since then? But I didn't mind grinding those for concrete rewards. The way I see it is, so many decos come out for the Cartel Market packs but there's no way to earn them in game - so doing an ingame task (planetary missions) in order to get rep to earn decos, armor, etc, feels more enjoyable. And wouldn't a whole new stronghold be one heck of a top level reward for all the grinding? If it doesn't wind up going over well, the next one can be sold like they are now.

(There's more rep grinds in KotFE and probably KotET with the Alliance, but I don't find those as enjoyable because it's per character and while there are some cosmetic things I can buy from my Alliance base, I don't remember anything being locked to a certain influence level).

I like your imagery of me tempting fate here though!
The Sunfall Legacy - Ebon Hawk
Max-level chars: Capella (Guardian) ; Ishev (Commando) ; Thyreophora (Vanguard) ; Auriva (Juggernaut) ; Khouris (Sorcerer) ; Xadhira (Marauder)
Please fix the Zabrak skin tone bug!

Jesira's Avatar


Jesira
11.01.2016 , 11:14 AM | #6
If it were legacy-wide reputation, and easy to gain by doing things in-game then I would be interested in this idea but with how BioWare does things I wouldn't trust this not to be made miserable.
ATTENTION: Include the Twi'lek into the 3 new eye colours from Appearance Options: Expanded Selections in the next patch. It was a huge mistake to not do this from the start as they are being grossly neglected as a playable species.

StarChanneller's Avatar


StarChanneller
11.05.2016 , 07:19 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Acquisition

Here's the most radical idea I have for this stronghold: Give us three ways to earn it, not just the traditional two we've had.

1.) Buy the unlock with credits from the Fleet terminal - pay credits to re-activate if it's ever closed. Let's say it's 3 million credits for the base.
2.) Buy the unlock with Cartel Coins from the Fleet terminal - do not pay credits to re-activate if it's ever closed. Let's say it's 2,000 CCs for the base.
3.) Make the stronghold unlockable via an item acquired when reaching reputation cap with the new Alderaan reputation track

I propose adding a rep track that works exactly like Voss reputation does right now. Add a weekly "Befriending Alderaan" quest that is updated by completing all of the heroics. Completing each heroic rewards a blue rep token in addition to the credit and commendation/lockbox/Galactic Command XP rewards. Completing the weekly quest provides a purple rep token. There may be green tokens dropped from mobs during the heroics or elsewhere on planet.

As you advance through the rep track, you can purchase items from vendors located in the House capital for your side. These items include:
-decos
-mounts
-armor sets for the Noble Houses that don't have sets (currently missing include Baliss, Cortess, Girard, Teral)
-personnel
-noble titles

The vendor will also sell an item called the Stronghold Key. It requires the full reputation to buy, and costs a significant amount less than buying the unlock with credits from the fleet (maybe 1 million or even only 500,000) - reflecting the fact that you put a lot of work into earning it. Maybe there's even a short quest where a representative of the noble House your side is aligned with commends you for your service to their House and the planet and rewards you with a small piece of land.

This would be a way of earning the stronghold that doesn't currently exist for the other ones. It would reward players for doing the rep grind. It would provide something to work towards, and if all the vendor items were available for credits it could be a credit sink. I think it would be more of a novelty than just spending CCs to get the stronghold.

What do other folks think?
I.... absolutely LOVE this idea! *Applause*
Want to get some items? When you click someone's referral link, SWTOR gives you stuff! Below is my referral link, and yes, I do get stuff as well if you click it. It's mutually beneficial. At least I'm honest about my ulterior motive :3
http://www.swtor.com/r/5lNVP6

BlazeSeyton's Avatar


BlazeSeyton
11.09.2016 , 02:05 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Capella View Post
I've been wanting an Alderaan stronghold ever since the Strongholds system was announced. Here's my reasonings why and ideas for what could go along with it. I'd be happy to hear other people's suggestions.


Plausibility

There are many planets on which I'd love to have a stronghold, but recognize that due to lore and story, it might not be possible. For example, while Voss is a lovely planet I'd be happy to live on, the Voss have an indifference towards outsiders and the fact that they contain the aliens into a specific trade quadrant means we probably aren't getting a wilderness mansion. Likewise, Manaan is beautiful and often requested, but the Selkath are also isolationist and unlikely to want outsiders having a retreat in their sacred spaces.

So why do I think Alderaan is plausible?
  • It's on a planet both Republic and Empire can access.
  • It's neutral territory not owned by either side.
  • Given that most of the player classes have done decent-sized favors for at least one noble House during their class stories, and that doing the factional planetary quests give you popularity among others, it makes sense the PC would have the resources to acquire some land.


Appearance

What would an Alderaan stronghold look like?

1.) It's a different type of environment from what we have now
  • It's not a sterile desert like Tatooine ; an untamed wilderness like Yavin ; or a city-bound apartment like Nar Shaddaa, Kaas, or Coruscant
  • If they keep it with the lighting of the planet it will have a clear neutral lighting (unlike Tatooine and Yavin and Nar Shaddaa and Kaas) . Alternately maybe they'll give it some kind of weather like snowy or make it set at night or something
  • There's the chance to have dramatic environmental features (mountains, waterfalls) like with Kaas or Tatooine
  • If there aren't thrantas circling in the sky or vorn tigers prowling outside I'm going to be disappointed


2.) There's some cool architecture options:
  • There's the towering mansion style (think House Organa or Thul): a central large building, 2-3 stories, with a big hall in the middle and large sized rooms on each floor, with the outside views being balconies like in the current city strongholds. Maybe there's a small courtyard where one could put statues or a garden, and overlooking a pond or river or the mountains.
  • There's the large courtyard moderate house style of stronghold (like House Cortess): a big walled courtyard area with plenty of room for sculptures, fountains, gardens, etc would dominate this design. There could also be a few smaller buildings in the courtyard that are single rooms that serve as like, stables or storage or guard facilities. There would be a main building near the back of the stronghold that would be the main house, 2 stories, with a grand hall and some public-oriented rooms (for trophies or meetings) on the first floor, while the second floor would have rooms intended for the family's use (bedrooms or studies).
  • Something that doesn't look like the noble Houses at all. Maybe it's a small retreat in the woods that used to be a hunting preserve, and it would have lots of open space, a river, a medium size building to live in and maybe one or two smaller ones.
  • A ruined retreat your character's fixing up. This would be more like Yavin is now, with open outdoor areas and a building that's not entirely sound - it'd be based off of the Elysium area, a former place of culture and learning and import. There could be some parts of it fixable to live in as private rooms and other areas exposed to the elements.


Decorating

Alderaan would be an awesome stronghold to add because there are a bunch of awesome Alderaan-themed decos already in the game, and there's a lot of potential to add more decorations that could appear in game in a bunch of ways.
  • Allegiance: The Noble House banners and flags. We have Ulgo, Thul, Rist, and Alde banners and flags in game. We're lacking Organa, Teral, Cortess, Panteer, and others. Adding additional House banners and flags would be great to give your stronghold the feeling of being owned by someone aligned to the noble House(s) of your choice - and it's criminal we don't have Organa for the Republic when we have Thul for the Empire.
  • Personnel: People make strongholds look lively, and there's a bunch of relevant categories.
    a.)Nobles: male and female nobles wearing the liveries of all the Houses
    b.) Guards: male and female guards wearing the guard armor of all the Houses
    c.) Civilians: bartenders, waitresses, servants, people standing around conversing
  • Furniture and Civic: Art, sculpture, and various kinds of furniture
    a.)Statues: There are a few kinds of sculptures we see around Alderaan, including the statue with a book and a columnar one, which would look good.
    b.) Artwork and Collectibles: There's already an Alderaan painting and the one you get from Civil War pvp, but what about adding some more art? A Thranta or Vorn Tiger one to match the nerfs one; some paintings of the major Houses; maybe some mounted weapons like swords to look like ornamental pieces
    c.) Furniture: The elegant themes of Alderaan would lend themselves well to a set of furniture like the craftable Voss ones. I'm thinking desks, chairs, a few ceiling and wall lights that actually cast light (as sconces or chandeliers), a couple fancy bed options (canopy bed?); more libraries
    d.) Outdoor Decor: there's a few beautiful fountain designs found on Alderaan (the long ones outside of House Organa); the curved sculpture found on the Elysium and other locations
  • Environmental:
    a.) Animals: Tethered thrantas, pacing vorn tigers or manka cats, a few big fluffy nerfs - there's a lot that could be added
    b.) Plants: The noble Houses tend to have gardens. So plant arrangements would be great (something like the Yavin tree plot but with the deciduous-like trees or evergreens we see on Alderaan), something formal and flowery like orchids, etc.

I'm sure other people could come up with more great ideas to this stronghold. Please, let me know what you think!
The idea is great, but I still feel that the Manaan Stronghold would be a better option. I see your point as to why they might not do it due to lore, but if it's following a similar trend to the yavin stronghold where they brought out yavin themed decorations then it's manaan for sure. Either that or it's something like the Shroud's base from the HK chapter with an underwater section. Take a look at the emergency submarine ceiling decoration. That will not fit in any of the stronghold especially alderaan.
Galactic Crime Lord

"Those who do not submit to the will of the Exiled Republic will die!"

casirabit's Avatar


casirabit
11.09.2016 , 04:07 PM | #9
I honesty don't think they going to make any more strongholds.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing. If you like redheads click my Referral link Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj

Tsillah's Avatar


Tsillah
11.10.2016 , 03:07 AM | #10
Real Estate on Alderaan has no future.

Seriously though, you make a good case but for many of those same reasons I would prefer Hoth as a location for a Stronghold. I suppose it's because of the Empire Strikes Back where there is the rebel base and I've always wanted to have a base on Hoth because of that.

I would welcome any new Stronghold pretty much though that's not city based. I hate how orange Nar Shaddaa and Coruscant are, one sand desert is enough for me and Yavin, though beautiful was too much of a pain to decorate because it was so horribly assymetrical.

That's why I would prefer Hoth, because a base in a snowy mountainside will give me a stronghold with a clean white slate to decorate in/on. That's what I missed most. I would also be happier if there would be base colour skins for our strongholds. Honestly, two orange strongholds...
Don't freak out, I'm just here by the grace of a referal. Nothing more.