Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Crafting while leveling?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Crafting while leveling?

Drackonn
12.26.2011 , 11:08 PM | #1
I was looking around for answer but haven't found a straight one. I do notice a lot people saying that they are broke.

I am only level 15 so I don't know a whole lot yet, but what else do you need to buy as you level besides your "mount" and skills?

Anyways - Level 15 Sith Sorcerer, I usually play with 2 buddies of mine and while we are grouped we use my other friends Khem Val (he has better gear than mine) since I cannot keep my companion out I just constantly send him on missions (bio/bio/diplo).

Am I going to hit a road block up ahead where I don't have enough money for something if I keep doing this?

Thanks for the answer!

nezitx
12.26.2011 , 11:19 PM | #2
Me and my friend leveled together from 1-50 (first 50s on our server) and crafted the whole time.

We had some money differences because I had slicing, but he constantly had his companions out doing stuff and was fine. Here are a few tips:

1) Don't send your companions out to get your "green" quality crafting materials that you can just harvest in the world. It's expensive and unnecessary, you'll get plenty running around.

2) Don't buy new ranks of skills you don't use. For example as a Sorcerer/Sage I didn't train the melee ability that you use 1-10 after I became a Sorcerer. I'm 50 with 1.25 million credits and I still haven't bought it lol.

3) If you are Bio I wouldn't go crazy trying to get purple, reusable stims/med packs until you get to 50. You'll level fast enough that old ones won't be very useful anymore. In general I wouldn't spend tons of resourcesing REing until 50. Maybe shoot for some blue implants but that's it.
Nezy - 50 Marauder (main)
Nez - 50 Operative (alt)
Nezix - First 50 Sorcerer on Vrook Lamar. (retired)

Jester-Head
12.26.2011 , 11:25 PM | #3
i have crafted almost the entire time ive been playing.
im at level 34. and while i've hit a few bumps with running out of money. its never been anything 2 hours of questing or doing PVP couldn't fix.

you can constantly craft. Just don't ignore your daily quests. and make sure to finish a few questlines per day and you'll do fine.

When i was levels 20 and below i just kept in mind to never drop below about 8k creds.
now that im lvl 34. i dont like dropping below 12k creds. its not that i'll need them. but if i level up and want atleast 1 skill to train that will take care of it. and i can usually rack up 40k in 1-2 hours of questing if i REALLY need something.

Speeder training at 25, as well as buying inventory slots are your biggest cred worries right now.

JamieKirby
12.26.2011 , 11:27 PM | #4
What my brother does is when he starts a new mmo, he picks the skills to make money and any future characters does the crafting and stuff.

Works for him in wow anyway, has over 500,000g spread over several characters.

Drackonn
12.26.2011 , 11:38 PM | #5
Thanks for the responses everyone, I guess I should pay more attention to daily quests, I didnt realized any of them were dailies at this low of a level ... should probably know better (not my first mmo lol)

Stillnotking
12.26.2011 , 11:39 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Drackonn View Post
I am only level 15 so I don't know a whole lot yet, but what else do you need to buy as you level besides your "mount" and skills?
That's pretty much it. Don't train skills you don't use -- depending on your AC, there will probably be a few of these. The mount costs are:

Level 25: 40,000 training + 8,000 speeder
Level 40: 210,000 training + 25,000 speeder
Level 50: 330,000 training + 55,000 speeder
Imperial Agent - Operative - Medic
"Every man is surrounded by a neighborhood of voluntary spies." - Jane Austen

Drackonn
12.26.2011 , 11:52 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Stillnotking View Post
That's pretty much it. Don't train skills you don't use -- depending on your AC, there will probably be a few of these. The mount costs are:

Level 25: 40,000 training + 8,000 speeder
Level 40: 210,000 training + 25,000 speeder
Level 50: 330,000 training + 55,000 speeder
thanks for the break down, that makes it way easier, now I can set goals and a budget

also is their any easier way to spot things I can harvest on while running around? they dont really stick out, I notice them on the minimap from time to time, or is there just not that much plant stuff to harvest?