Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Alacrity for Corruption: Waste Not Want Not

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Alacrity for Corruption: Waste Not Want Not

dyrtyryce
12.28.2011 , 09:10 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Nicarras View Post
Faster heals are great, unless you dont have enough mana to finish a fight. With fixed mana pools for Sorcs in this game it's a bit different than comparing that to mana systems of other games where a guy standing next to you can have a completely different mana pool. Especially since you basically have Free Life Tap and can get mana back that way in this game too.
I think I've gotten the point, but I will still say that some healers that weren't great at managing mana were still constrained for mana. It does make sense to say that Alacrity will not increase throughput without draining the resource pool as opposed to Crit which will increase chance of throughput with any resource drain. I guess that's what all the fuss was about.
"I have studied you and found nothing but weakness."
-Darth Sion

Drotara
12.28.2011 , 11:31 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by iDerrien View Post
this statement is wrong. alacrity reduces the global cooldown aswell. thats why alacrity is so awesome.
From what I've read you are incorrect and the GCD is not affected by Alacrity. And due to the nature of animations, even if it did you couldn't cast anything since the game forces animations to finish first.

Unless I missed something and you have evidence to the contrary?

Zuqual
12.28.2011 , 03:27 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Drotara View Post
From what I've read you are incorrect and the GCD is not affected by Alacrity. And due to the nature of animations, even if it did you couldn't cast anything since the game forces animations to finish first.

Unless I missed something and you have evidence to the contrary?
Spec into the lightning tree to pick up the 20% alacrity buff and test it out for yourself. It clearly reduces the gcd bellow 1.5s allowing you to spam 1.3s lightning strikes (with 0 rating from gear).

slacey
12.28.2011 , 03:47 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Zuqual View Post
Spec into the lightning tree to pick up the 20% alacrity buff and test it out for yourself. It clearly reduces the gcd bellow 1.5s allowing you to spam 1.3s lightning strikes (with 0 rating from gear).
A talent that increases cast speed reducing the GCD is not the same thing as alacrity reducing the GCD. They might look like they're the same thing, but they're not (from a coding POV). One could reduce it while the other fails to do so.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that testing using Polarity Shift is not a valid test.

Badgerpanic
12.28.2011 , 09:06 PM | #15
For healing, haste is the opposite of efficient (your heals heal for the same amount and you spend more force per second), it's what's called a throughput stat (more healing per second at the cost of more force per second). whereas crit/surge increases the size of your average heal without costing any more force.

Or in other words, alacrity Makes you more time efficient, crit/surge makes you more force efficient.

So if you are having a hard time keeping your targets alive but have lots of leftover force, get more alacrity.

If you are running out of force, but having no problem keeping your targets up, get more crit/surge.

The only exception to this is our resurgence talent. You probably want around 20-25% crit so that you are guaranteed a free consumption.

Sassykins
12.29.2011 , 10:09 AM | #16
I have found that Crit is more important to my spec then alacirty. Right now I literally crit everytime I innervate after a resurgence. My force never goes down (unless a boss fight runs super long)

I healed a Directive 7 (as a 46) up to Bulwark last night... and the crits are really important when I am 4 levals lower then what instance is requiring. I had to call it at this boss as it got to late for me to finish so we are doing it later today.

Since there is a lot of damage that the tank takes in 50 instance (it is nice to seeing Resurgences hit for 1k plus a second)

I do have about 4 pieces of gear that have alacrity on them... which reduce my group heal down to 1.9 seconds and my Dark Infusion to 2.4 (when the 1.5 doesnt proc)

So yes the cooldown goes down slightly... but i don't think its worth losing the crit.

.1 of a second frankly won't save anyone. But a great crit will!

Kholvan
12.29.2011 , 10:51 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by slacey View Post
A talent that increases cast speed reducing the GCD is not the same thing as alacrity reducing the GCD. They might look like they're the same thing, but they're not (from a coding POV). One could reduce it while the other fails to do so.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that testing using Polarity Shift is not a valid test.
I've got a couple of implants with +15 alacrity on them, and my Dark Heal shows 1.4s cast time when I use them. Not that it's a big difference, but the cast time is definitely lowered under 1.5.

Zuqual
12.29.2011 , 12:20 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Kholvan View Post
I've got a couple of implants with +15 alacrity on them, and my Dark Heal shows 1.4s cast time when I use them. Not that it's a big difference, but the cast time is definitely lowered under 1.5.
This is not the issue. Clearly you can lower casts below 1.5s. The question is whether the gcd can be lowered. i.e. once you finish your 1.4s cast can you immediately begin another cast or do you have to wait 0.1s until the gcd finishes to begin another cast.

Ahtan
12.29.2011 , 12:31 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Sathla View Post
You want to get your crit up first to have inervate proc a free consumption.
If you abuse Force Bending, you can basically get a crit on at least one tick with innervate every single time you use it.

Randkin
12.29.2011 , 01:03 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by slacey View Post

Considering the talent itself says it grants 20% alacrity rather than reducing the cast time of X spell, isn't this splitting hairs? It almost looks like you're saying "Something that makes me swing my axe faster isn't the same thing as something that makes me able to act more quickly". Both stem from pure Alacrity stat. All that matters is how much of it, and the talent's case is a pure 20% regardless. So if Alacrity affects the GCD, then there you go. And if it doesn't, then again there you go. The way you word it almost makes it sound like the talent and the stat itself are different entities, and they aren't.

Also, I remember EJ telling Shadow Priests to not stack Haste as a top priority in Wrath. Yet no other Priest on my server could ultimately keep up, and this was with folks who had better gear to boot. Not a single time would they even match me, much less surpass me, with what EJ told them to do. Never think that they're always right without fail. They are, like anyone or thing else, a group of opinions, and if everyone listened to those all the time without fail the forums would have about 60% less posts due to lack of arguments.