Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Alacrity for Corruption: Waste Not Want Not

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Alacrity for Corruption: Waste Not Want Not

dyrtyryce
12.26.2011 , 10:51 PM | #1
This wouldn't be my first time asking a question about a stat that increases cast speed. I used to be an avid WoW player, and I asked about it over on EJ. They dismissed my thread as rubbish. But as a newer community, I am hoping that someone would provide some feedback on Alacrity.

Quote: Originally Posted by AstralFire
Alacrity increases the speed of your two most important abilities - Dark Infusion and Innervate - but exhausts your Force more quickly. Alacrity is probably a stat of interest to a PvP Corruptor, but a PvE Corruptor will rate it of low concern.
My first question is about HoT ticks. In WoW there was a mechanic that increased ticks of HoTs and DoTs when Alacrity (using SWToR terms here) reached certain points. Certain HoT and DoT classes strived for a sweet spot with Alacrity. Is this the same case in SWToR?

My second question (the one for which I was shunned on EJ) is why is Alacrity a bad stat for Corruption? I understand that (using fake examples) a Sorcerer using no Alacrity may be able to cast a spell 20 times over 60 seconds before going OoF, and a Sorcerer stacking Alacrity may be able to cast the same spell 20 times over 30 seconds before going OoF. Is it really such a bad thing for that spell to have a cast time half that of someone with no Alacrity? Alacrity allows for one to cast low-cost, high HpF spells in the place of the high-cost low HpF emergency healing spells. If Alacrity has the same mechanics as WoW, then wouldn't there be a "plateau" for which Sorcerers should strive for that extra Innervate tick?

It would still make sense to me to stack Crit over Alacrity as secondary stats, but in this case, I don't think Alacrity should be looked at as a near worthless stat. Thanks for the help.

Acronyms:
EJ - Elitest Jerks
HoT - Heal over Time
DoT - Damage over Time
OoF - Out of Force
HpF - Heals per Force

nezitx
12.26.2011 , 11:50 PM | #2
The argument that you run out of power faster as a healer with more alacrity is dumb. That can apply to DPS, but as a healer you don't need to heal if you're target doesn't need healing.

Imo, Alacrity would be good for healing because all the power and crit in the world won't save your tank if you can't finish your cast time. I'm sure a healthy balance of the three will suit most players. At least until we get a mathematical breakdown of what the "best" combination would be.

Couple other facts: Alacrity lowers your GCD on spells with a cast time if that cast time dips below the normal GCD of 1.5 seconds. So if your spell takes 1.5 seconds to cast normally, and with alacrity it's 1.0, you won't have to wait that extra .5 seconds for the GCD.

The hard cap for alacrity % from RATING is 30%. Good luck getting it that high though. But this does mean that you could have say a 15% rating, pop an ability like the one near the end of the lightning tree for 20% more and get 35% as only the rating is capped.

Seems to have no effect on instants, dots or hots though I have not extensively tested those.
Nezy - 50 Marauder (main)
Nez - 50 Operative (alt)
Nezix - First 50 Sorcerer on Vrook Lamar. (retired)

SIowpoke
12.27.2011 , 02:30 AM | #3
Yes, dots/hots scale with haste in SWTOR.

Haste was always the numero uno healing stat in WoW, I'm not sure why EJ would have said otherwise. Was that immediately after haste came out?

Sinuouss
12.27.2011 , 09:28 AM | #4
Remember, it took a lot more crit rating to get 1% in wow than haste rating. This is often why haste was preferred over crit.

This may not be the case in SWTOR. Healing also isn't as strong in this game, so crits are far less likely to over heal.

I'm guessing that crit is going to be more valuable in this game compared to WoW, but maybe this isn't the case when you're in full epics, and in harder content speed is far more important.
I think a healthy mix of both is what I'll be going for unless I read otherwise or my experience is telling me it's not working.

dyrtyryce
12.27.2011 , 03:47 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by nezitx View Post
Imo, Alacrity would be good for healing because all the power and crit in the world won't save your tank if you can't finish your cast time. I'm sure a healthy balance of the three will suit most players. At least until we get a mathematical breakdown of what the "best" combination would be.

Couple other facts: Alacrity lowers your GCD on spells with a cast time if that cast time dips below the normal GCD of 1.5 seconds. So if your spell takes 1.5 seconds to cast normally, and with alacrity it's 1.0, you won't have to wait that extra .5 seconds for the GCD.
This was exactly my point. Haste would allow for better force efficiency due to the lower cast times and lower GCD. Of course there is an optimal haste rating that would allow for faster a decent cast time for spells without sacrificing other stats. At the same time, healers that have an issue with standing still would also like haste.

Quote: Originally Posted by SIowpoke View Post
Yes, dots/hots scale with haste in SWTOR.

Haste was always the numero uno healing stat in WoW, I'm not sure why EJ would have said otherwise. Was that immediately after haste came out?
I meant will it scale to a point in which something like Innervate get a 5th and 5th tick with enough Alacrity.

This was a little while after Cataclysm was released. I had just dinged 85 on my disc priest and the rule was that haste is a pretty negligible stat. Theorycrafters were saying stack enough until you're comfortable with cast times, but there was no hard number to hit.
"I have studied you and found nothing but weakness."
-Darth Sion

Sathla
12.28.2011 , 02:10 AM | #6
You want to get your crit up first to have inervate proc a free consumption.

Kishva - 60- Vigilance Guardian
- Sathla - 60 - Corruption Sorcerer

Pax Dominus - Pax Imperius

Nicarras
12.28.2011 , 02:53 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by dyrtyryce View Post
This was a little while after Cataclysm was released. I had just dinged 85 on my disc priest and the rule was that haste is a pretty negligible stat. Theorycrafters were saying stack enough until you're comfortable with cast times, but there was no hard number to hit.
Priests at EJ were using haste initially, until we realized that there was no need for it since the encounters made you gear for having more mana not faster heals. We were mana constrained initially so we geared and spec'd for mana. There wasnt an issue of 'omg he died because I had slow heals' it was 'omg he died because I have no mana'. Your thread at EJ probably got deleted because you didnt read the main Priest thread that had all your answers for you.

Faster heals are great, unless you dont have enough mana to finish a fight. With fixed mana pools for Sorcs in this game it's a bit different than comparing that to mana systems of other games where a guy standing next to you can have a completely different mana pool. Especially since you basically have Free Life Tap and can get mana back that way in this game too.

Haste does make hots/dots tick faster, it doesnt reduce the GCD here though.

Zidaen
12.28.2011 , 03:05 AM | #8
Alacrity is bad because unlike wow and haste it does not reduce GCD. Crits put out more HPS and are more efficient force cost.

iDerrien
12.28.2011 , 06:53 AM | #9
sorcerer with healer spec has infinite force.

you can go 24/7 without running out of force. Resurgence -> Innervate -> Consumption. I'm at 80%-100% force all the time even when constantly healing and shielding teammembers. all you need for that is about 20% crit-chance.

iDerrien
12.28.2011 , 06:59 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Zidaen View Post
Alacrity is bad because unlike wow and haste it does not reduce GCD. Crits put out more HPS and are more efficient force cost.
this statement is wrong. alacrity reduces the global cooldown aswell. thats why alacrity is so awesome.