Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So basically im BROKE if i dont pick slicing?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
So basically im BROKE if i dont pick slicing?

Tiresias
12.27.2011 , 12:04 AM | #21
Slicing? Are you serious? I took Slicing, but only because I don't care to craft and figured that being able to open lockboxes around the world is a decent trade-off.

I have 500k creds at level 37 with all pack slots, current gear, every speeder bike I have encountered so far (I like collecting them) and all skills. How? Because I took a gathering skill and a crew skill and I sell EVERYTHING on the GTN. As I'm typing this I have over 120k worth of sold good waiting for the money to make its way to me from the AH (darn one-hour delay).

I powerleveled the heck out of my crew skill, and it has been a good investment. I am the only provider of Tier 4, 5, and 6 crafting mats on the Republic side of my server, and since I'm the only game in town I can charge whatever I like and people will pay -- especially the hardcore guilds that are gearing up for Operations and need to level their crafting.

I have figured out how to make the system work, but my secrets are my own. I can't remember the last time I sent a crew member on a Slicing mission -- it's a waste of time, and time is money to me.

Smellis
12.27.2011 , 12:08 AM | #22
Sigh, just be smart with your money people.

Cybertech/Underworld/scavenge.

I could buy all my skills, speeder training. While still having enough to keep 2 companions deployed on missions at all times and buying vendor stuff from specialty goods vendors

Fsixknight
12.27.2011 , 12:15 AM | #23
Wrong, wrong wrong.

Slicing does not make you rich.
Crafting does not make you poor.

Proper credits management and using your brain makes you rich (or less poor)

First off all, you do NOT need to buy new ranks for every skill on your trainer.
Check your advanced class, check the skill tree you invest points in and learn which skills you will use in your rotation and which skills you will never ever ever use with your current advanced class. Don't upgrade those skills. They are a waste of money until we get dual speccing.

Secondly, do you really need that extra 10% speed from buying speeder piloting 2 at level 40? I don't think so. That's 200k saved right there. Just get it when you are swimming in credits later on. (Same for the level 50 speeder piloting, which is only another 10% speed increase)

Thirdly, don't buy loads of expensive gear from the auction house that you will out-level in 2 hours. Total waste of credits. You can get the occasional nice piece of gear for a good price but too many people go overboard when they see that shiny purple item for "only" 20k on the auction house. That's 20k wasted on an item you'll replace within a day when you are still leveling up. If you don't have an armor crafting profession, then make some friends who do. Ask them to make you some armor for a fair price or buy some cheap materials off the auction house and have your armor made. Gatherers are swimming in green quality crafting materials and are throwing them practically for free on the auction house this early in the game.

Lastly, don't pay your companions to go on gathering missions. Gather stuff yourself (scavenge, bioanalysis, archaeology)
I'm currently level 39 with about 310 armormech, 330 scavenging and 395 underworld trading. i'm sitting on 300k+ credits and don't know what to spend it on.
I haven't done a single scavenging mission in my life and have 100-200 spare of each grade 1 to 4 scavenging material, just from questing and grabbing all the junk I find on the floor. I also haven't sold a single underworld trading material on the auction house yet. All my credits are from quest rewards and selling grey / green junk to vendors.

If you still can't make any credits after reading the above 4 points then maybe you are just destined to be poor. But that is NOT due to the game design.