Do I need to cancel my subscription to get 1 free month?

ViciousFett

F2P player were sent an email today with a promotion to get a free month if they resub. Sooooo, does that mean all the loyal subs need to cancel their subs to take advantage of this deal?

*Update*

the fine print reads: "THIS OFFER IS EXCLUSIVE TO NAMED RECIPIENT. A PURCHASE OF ANY RECURRING SUBSCRIPTION PACK BY OCTOBER 5 2016 AT 11:59PM PDT IS REQUIRED TO RECEIVE BONUS GAMETIME. BONUS GAME TIME AWARDED AT THE END OF THE FIRST PAID MONTH OR PAID SUBSCRIPTION PERIOD OR END OF THE FIRST PAID GAME TIME CARD PERIOD. OFFER MAY NOT BE SUBSTITUTED, EXCHANGED, SOLD OR REDEEMED FOR CASH OR OTHER GOODS OR SERVICES. MAY NOT BE COMBINED WITH ANY OTHER OFFER, GIFT CARD, REBATE OR DISCOUNT COUPON. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED, TAXED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. LIMIT ONE OFFER PER ACCOUNT."

So, yeah. The loyal playerbase gets dicked over once again....

Edited by ViciousFett

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F2P player were sent an email today with a promotion to get a free month if they resub. Sooooo, does that mean all the loyal subs need to cancel their subs to take advantage of this deal?

It wasn't just F2P. I've been subbed for quite some time and I got the email today too. But I use the 2-month at a time, non-recurring cards, so maybe that's why I received it.

I'm fairly confused by it though. Do I need to just be subscribed on the date in question to get the free month? Or do I need to switch to a recurring sub to qualify? Any clarification from Eric or other BW folk would be most appreciated.

Edit: Never mind, I saw in the fine print that it needs to be a recurring sub.

Edited by sithlordschmidt

As mentioned in one of the live streams (don't ask me which one) these promotions are sent to random players. Be they Sub or F2P. Such as none of mine be it sub or f2p has had this promotion this time round. However a few months back one sub and 2 f2p got it out of my 5 accounts. The promotion that time was free or extra CC. That time round you just had to be a sub on a given day. So my sub account got it, not my f2p accounts as I did not sub for them. Edited by DreadtechSavant

Okay, so they essentially trolled me with that email this morning? No fair- I'm paid up till the end of February...:mad: That's incredibly rude and I've half a mind to open a ticket just to vent. My first targeted promotion and it's not even one I can use- it's not very nice. So can a dev confirm those of us who are subbed essentially just got a troll email?

Okay, so they essentially trolled me with that email this morning? No fair- I'm paid up till the end of February...:mad: That's incredibly rude and I've half a mind to open a ticket just to vent. My first targeted promotion and it's not even one I can use- it's not very nice. So can a dev confirm those of us who are subbed essentially just got a troll email?

You are not being trolled... You will get your free month extra

BONUS GAME TIME AWARDED AT THE END OF THE FIRST PAID MONTH OR PAID SUBSCRIPTION PERIOD OR END OF THE FIRST PAID GAME TIME CARD PERIOD

so if next billing cycle is on February then you get free March

And i think i know how to become an 'target' of promotion...... because it is an second time happening.... the second time it is happening :D

It wasn't just F2P. I've been subbed for quite some time and I got the email today too. But I use the 2-month at a time, non-recurring cards, so maybe that's why I received it.

I'm fairly confused by it though. Do I need to just be subscribed on the date in question to get the free month? Or do I need to switch to a recurring sub to qualify? Any clarification from Eric or other BW folk would be most appreciated.

Edit: Never mind, I saw in the fine print that it needs to be a recurring sub.

^ I do the same thing, and I'm bummed that the timecards done count (don't have a creditcard/paypal/whateverthing, too broke for that and this is cheaper than a couple of nights in a bar), because I got the email too. =(

^ I do the same thing, and I'm bummed that the timecards done count (don't have a creditcard/paypal/whateverthing, too broke for that and this is cheaper than a couple of nights in a bar), because I got the email too. =(

They do count.

BONUS GAME TIME AWARDED AT THE END OF THE FIRST PAID MONTH OR PAID SUBSCRIPTION PERIOD OR END OF THE FIRST PAID GAME TIME CARD PERIOD

So far they have counted for everything that required a subscription.

I got this email, too. I am subscribed via time cards. Canceling subscription now won't change that on Oct 5 the current subscription is still active. I will just see what happens. People who were subscribed and got the free bonus coins promotion also simply remained subscribed and got their coins (even though some only got them after contacting CS).

Edited by KyaniteD

They do count.

So far they have counted for everything that required a subscription.

I got this email, too. I am subscribed via time cards. Canceling subscription now won't change that on Oct 5 the current subscription is still active. I will just see what happens. People who were subscribed and got the free bonus coins promotion also simply remained subscribed and got their coins (even though some only got them after contacting CS).

AWESOME! I got distracted by the other stuff in the email. A free month's not too bad, that'll make my $30 for 60 days become $10 a month for three months.

I got this email, too. I am subscribed via time cards. Canceling subscription now won't change that on Oct 5 the current subscription is still active. I will just see what happens.

I also am subscribed via gametime cards. The promo mail says:

"A PURCHASE OF ANY RECURRING SUBSCRIPTION PACK BY OCTOBER 5 2016 AT 11:59PM PDT IS REQUIRED TO RECEIVE BONUS GAMETIME."

To me that sounds like gametime cards won't count as they are not recurring. Since there are a couple of gametime cards subs in this (small) thread, could it be possible that they want us to change to a sub through their site (thus getting all the money instead of sharing it with retailers)?

I also am subscribed via gametime cards. The promo mail says:

"A PURCHASE OF ANY RECURRING SUBSCRIPTION PACK BY OCTOBER 5 2016 AT 11:59PM PDT IS REQUIRED TO RECEIVE BONUS GAMETIME."

To me that sounds like gametime cards won't count as they are not recurring. Since there are a couple of gametime cards subs in this (small) thread, could it be possible that they want us to change to a sub through their site (thus getting all the money instead of sharing it with retailers)?

Yes, but in another sentence it says that "BONUS GAME TIME AWARDED AT THE END OF THE FIRST PAID MONTH OR PAID SUBSCRIPTION PERIOD OR END OF THE FIRST PAID GAME TIME CARD PERIOD", which implies that game time cards count as well.

I'm certain that someone who

1. got this email
  2. is not subscribed right now
  3. adds a game time card (or any other kind of subscription) before Oct 5 11:59PM PDT

is eligible for the free month.

What is left unclear is whether people who are already subscribed and will remain through Oct 5th are eligible as well if they

• do nothing
  • will cancel & re-activate their recurring subscription
  • are subscribed via time cards and add additional time via time cards or recurring subscription before Oct 5th

Yes, but in another sentence it says that "BONUS GAME TIME AWARDED AT THE END OF THE FIRST PAID MONTH OR PAID SUBSCRIPTION PERIOD OR END OF THE FIRST PAID GAME TIME CARD PERIOD", which implies that game time cards count as well.

Indeed. I missed that sentence within the wall of TEXT in the e-mail.

Honestly, I am confused and would wish that some BW official could post some clarification, thanks.

Answer from CS:

Thank you for contacting us in realtion to the recent promotional email you received. You will only be eligble for the promotion if you purchase a new subscription before October 5th. This will add time onto your current subscription and time cards will count towards this as well.
(Reference: Ticket #29863993)

So current subscribers are eligible, and time cards count as well.

Edited by KyaniteD

Answer from CS:

(Reference: Ticket #29863993)

So current subscribers are eligible, and time cards count as well.

Thank you for contacting us in realtion (sic) to the recent promotional email you received. You will only be eligble (sic) for the promotion if you purchase a new subscription before October 5th. This will add time onto your current subscription and time cards will count towards this as well.

I am displeased with the clarity of their response. I honestly cannot tell if using a time card qualifies one for the promotion or whether they mean the additional time earned by purchasing a new renewing subscription will be added to your current time (regardless whether you are currently using a subscription or time card). Grammatically, the reference to time cards seems ill-placed in a statement about how the additional time will be applied rather than the preceding statement of how the additional time is earned.

This is nothing new. It's a sound strategy to get people to resub again.

My sub ended 4 days ago after 2.5 years. They dont blind my eyes by free 1 month of sub, promotion is nice but nothing to do anyway in game. My guild was very active now 358 people and in last 7 days only 3 login to game (+ their alts). Fleet is empty, only credit spammers, forget about GSF, PvP You can do after 15 minutes. They already sucked a lot of money from my sub + CC sometimes. No more sub until some multiplayer objectives and more players on server.

Now im in game at this moment and fleet 34 people, on my guild me and one man.

Edited by tummiswtor

I am displeased with the clarity of their response. I honestly cannot tell if using a time card qualifies one for the promotion or whether they mean the additional time earned by purchasing a new renewing subscription will be added to your current time (regardless whether you are currently using a subscription or time card). Grammatically, the reference to time cards seems ill-placed in a statement about how the additional time will be applied rather than the preceding statement of how the additional time is earned.

Maybe I should include my original questions to which they replied.

1.) When I click on the link to "upgrade", only recurring subscriptions are listed on the webpage. However, the terms quoted above state:

BONUS GAME TIME AWARDED AT THE END OF THE FIRST PAID MONTH OR PAID SUBSCRIPTION PERIOD OR END OF THE FIRST PAID GAME TIME CARD PERIOD.

So does a subscription via time card count for this promotion as well, or do only subscriptions count that are purchased through the link?

-----

2.) I am currently subscribed. I will be subscribed by OCTOBER 5 2016 AT 11:59PM PDT and after that.

Am I eligible for this promotion?

-----

3.) I am currently subscribed through a time card and am currently in the first 30 days period of this time card.

Do I have to purchase and add another time card to be eligible for this promotion?

I don't think it's particularly unclear with regard to time cards. There's current subscription (for which the method doesn't matter) and additionally purchased subscription, toward which time cards will count as well.

What still remains unclear is how people with a current recurring subscription and a fixed billing cycle are supposed to buy any new subscription time without a time card. That's a question I didn't ask and that someone else may seek clarity on with reference to this ticket.

In the end, OP may be right in that current recurring subscriptions need to be canceled and re-activated in order to trigger the promotion. :rak_02:

Edited by KyaniteD

Sorry but I've been burned too many times with their promotions. I don't read it that way as well.

I don't think it's particularly unclear with regard to time cards.

A PURCHASE OF ANY RECURRING SUBSCRIPTION PACK BY OCTOBER 5 2016 AT 11:59PM PDT IS REQUIRED TO RECEIVE BONUS GAMETIME.

That sentence says "RECURRING SUBSCRIPTION PACK". To me that's via the swtor website.

BONUS GAME TIME AWARDED AT THE END OF THE FIRST PAID MONTH OR PAID SUBSCRIPTION PERIOD OR END OF THE FIRST PAID GAME TIME CARD PERIOD.

To me, they're saying that the bonus time is added at the end of any current time and that current time may include game time cards. They're saying your current time can consist of either sub or game card time.

This will add time onto your current subscription and time cards will count towards this as well.

That supports it. They're talking about time cards affected your current subscription.

But yes, that's a poorly worded response on their part. Having said that, they're probably answering hundreds of questions as quickly as possible.

Look at it this way. If you get a free month, it's a bonus. If you don't, it's normal around here.

edit: I'm just amazed that they didn't exclude the first of the month like they did all those times previously. Nice to see them not screw over us retirees like they've done in the past. Some of us get (retirement, pension, SSI, trust, lottery winning, union kickbacks, etc.) checks on the 26th, 1st and/or 3rd.

Edited by dr_mike

Same here: Got that mail, 78 days of gametime-card time left.

• If I do nothing, will I get the 30 extra days just as a thank-you for being subbed on the 5th?
  • Will I get the 30 extra days if I buy a new 60-days card before the 5th?
  • Will I get this only if I switch to a recurring subscription?
    Would this even be billed before the remaining 78 days run out?
    Would it count for the 30 days if it isn't billed?

A promotion shouldn't leave us scratching our heads about what to do.

Let's hope for a dev post.

Edited by Mubrak