Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A rookie's take on GSF

TheRandomno
09.12.2016 , 06:37 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by JediBoadicea View Post
TheRandomno, I'm not sure exactly the point you were trying to make here. Was it that the guides/tips as provided are not well suited to your current experience level? If so, then maybe there's something in the guide I linked to above that might help. Trying to break some GSF tips down to their absolute most basic level was the goal of that guide.

But if you meant that you weren't interested in guides right now because you're not interested in playing GSF... then I'm not sure what your interest in commenting here was?
All I said was that it's annoying to be told that you're doing nothing (via the game's "not contributing" message) when you don't know how to do anything.

I'm sure I wouldn't see that message if I took time to learn the basics, but that wasn't the point.
Unobtainable achievements list over 1000 points players can't get
Overall Achievements Leaderboard
Click for my referral link, you get some free stuff and so do I. (learn more)

Wildtee
09.13.2016 , 09:25 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRandomno View Post
All I said was that it's annoying to be told that you're doing nothing (via the game's "not contributing" message) when you don't know how to do anything.

I'm sure I wouldn't see that message if I took time to learn the basics, but that wasn't the point.
Ah, so you simply wanted to complain about something in a public forum instead of seeking advice, applying it, practicing, and getting better. Please note: this isn't ground pvp - we try to help people here, rather than complain loudly enough for the devs to nerf a class. If you want the message to go away, you'll need to take (rather than shun) the helpful advice that others are giving you. In this game mode, the devs will not simply make it go away because someone complained on the forums.

Greezt
09.13.2016 , 09:49 AM | #13
I've played 10 matches I know way less about GSF than you assume.
You got an answer tailored to the lowest assumptions. Literally the minimum you need to do in order to avoid the annoying "non contributing" message. What does your knowledge have to do with it?

I would generally try and convince you to learn, but why? You have no incentive, whatever that means.

If you don't want to play a game for fun, which incentive would you look for in a game? Special gear? A nice title?

To OP, I think your question has been answered thoroughly. Stick to it, and know that under certain situations (when flying a Warcarrier/Legion in TDM, for example) that message might be unavoidable. It's often not an accurate representation of real contribution, and most players will appreciate your effort whether you got the message or not.

TheRandomno
09.13.2016 , 10:35 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Greezt View Post
You got an answer tailored to the lowest assumptions. Literally the minimum you need to do in order to avoid the annoying "non contributing" message. What does your knowledge have to do with it?
Do you really expect I know enough about the game right now to understand caederon's advice?

Quote:
I would generally try and convince you to learn, but why? You have no incentive, whatever that means.

If you don't want to play a game for fun, which incentive would you look for in a game? Special gear? A nice title?
I had trouble finding the right word for it. I just don't want to try playing right now but that may change in the future. I do actually have an incentive which are the achievements for it, but there are a lot of other achievements I can do first.

Greezt
09.13.2016 , 12:12 PM | #15
Do you really expect I know enough about the game right now to understand caederon's advice?
Yes, I do. His advice requires you to know nothing other than how to fly forwards, that your left mouse button fires your blasters, and that red = bad and green = good. I guarantee you knew that.

If you didn't, now you do.

TheRandomno
09.13.2016 , 12:24 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Greezt View Post
Yes, I do. His advice requires you to know nothing other than how to fly forwards, that your left mouse button fires your blasters, and that red = bad and green = good. I guarantee you knew that.

If you didn't, now you do.
His guide definitely requires me to learn more than that. I don't think you can disprove that just based off the fact I did not understand most of the advice. Even if I understand what he's saying it doesn't mean I know how to that in a match.

Greezt
09.13.2016 , 01:24 PM | #17
His guide definitely requires me to learn more than that. I don't think you can disprove that just based off the fact I did not understand most of the advice. Even if I understand what he's saying it doesn't mean I know how to that in a match.
Fair enough, I certainly can't argue with that. Let me do you one better, and break down his advice to beginner-friendly language:

Quote:
DOMINATION MATCH:
  • Fly to point A, B, or C on your map. Choose the one where the greatest number of your teammates are heading.
You said you have flown 10 matches. There is a slim chance that all of them were deathmatch (highly unlikely, since there are more domination maps), so I'll assume that they were. When you enter a GSF match, you'll see at the bottom right corner of your screen a map, just like in the ground game. This map will show the location of you and your teammates, as well as visible enemies. Teammates will appear as green arrows, and enemies will appear red. You will appear as a a slightly larger green arrow, with eddies pulsing outwards of you.

On this map (in the case of domination matches) will also appear three letters - A, B, and C. They signify the locations of the three satellites (referred to as nodes). If you point your arrow on the map towards one of these letters, you will fly there. Make sure that there are lots of green arrows to protect you, or you might very well die.

Quote:
  • Maneuver close to the satellite that you will find there.
Once you've reached the satellite, fly close to it, and don't stray far from it. This will give you objective points, and thus prevent the "non-contributing" message.

Quote:
  • Shoot at enemies that are in range, but focus on staying alive by dodging pursuers and staying out of gunship line of sight by using the satellite's structure.
Enemies appear red. They will also have a red circle in front of them, known as their lead indicator (or reticle, or reticule). If this lead indicator is red, fire at them by placing your cursor on it and clicking your left mouse button. Don't allow firing at enemies to take precedence over staying near your node, though.

Quote:
TDM
  • Let your team take the lead when initially engaging the enemy.
TDM is team deathmatch, the second game mode in GSF. The objective here is to kill enemies faster than they kill you. New players will generally find this mode harder to contribute in, since the only way to do so is by dealing damage to the enemy. This tip will not directly help you avoid the dreaded message, but it will help you avoid the dreaded respawn screen. Staying back means you won't be a primary target of the enemy. This in turn means that you won't die as much, which means you will have time to learn how to fly.

Quote:
  • Approach while keeping obstacles between you and enemy gunships.
Gunships are the snipers of GSF. They are easily seen from afar, thanks to a (commonly) orange, blue, or (rarer) red halo that surrounds them as they charge up their shot. If you see such a halo, put an object between you and it. Remember - if you can't see them, they can't see you. A more advanced way to do this would be by targeting said gunship (placing your cursor on it and pressing "E"), and then checking your direct line of sight to your target (by pressing "C").

However, you can place an object between you quite easily without doing this, by simply flying around a rock or beneath a wall.

Quote:
  • Look for an enemy that is engaged with one of your teammates. Target that enemy and open fire!
You will know the enemy is targeting someone else by two different ways:
  1. They will be shooting, but you won't be taking any damage. You can tell if you're taking damage when your screen flashes red, your shields and/or hull change color (seen at the bottom left of your screen) and your copilot starts foreseeing your demise vocally.
  2. Looking at your targeting screen (top right corner of the screen), "target of target" appears above the ship model. If you are your target's target, in addition to your name being there, it will also be red.

Shooting at enemies who aren't shooting at you is a good way to contribute, since you're peeling for a teammate with out putting yourself in as much danger.

Quote:
  • Don't overpursue. Land some shots, get to cover, and find a new target.
If your target died, great! You just earned an assist (or kill if you landed the killing blow). If they ran away back towards their team, leave them alone. Let someone else kill them. Fly back towards your own team, and see if you can pick up another target matching the same criteria as the previous one.

Hopefully this makes his tips much clearer. I don't know of a way to make them more beginner-friendly without actually getting into a match with you and talking over voice.

Storm-Cutter
09.14.2016 , 12:11 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Wildtee View Post
Please note: this isn't ground pvp - we try to help people here, ..
Exactly. - If this was the ground PvP forum , their advice would probably be a lot more insulting, toxic and offensive.

Between posters here, we've got all the servers covered, OP. - so 'm sure one of them can team up with you and give you some pointers in-game. -That is, if you're willing to accept a little coaching.
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================

aakrea
09.14.2016 , 03:44 PM | #19
I found this tutorial that goes through the basics of GSF. I did a quick search to see if I could find tactics a new player can use in various situations but that's all I saw. Most of the videos I've seen have been a little more advanced than I would expect a new player to make use of.

ThrakhathSpawn
10.16.2016 , 11:54 PM | #20
I get flagged sometimes when a complete gankup is going in with multiple ships trying to kill me. There is absolutely no chance to fly straight enough to get a shot in to unflag, and there is no way I'm going to stop dodging fire and die. When flagged as non contributing, that allows people to vote kick you. I only vote kick people I know that are known to spawn in and AFK for conquest points. I do not vote kick people I do not know. You will probably be safe from getting kicked from the map providing you are legitly actively playing.

There is too much detailed and good advice in here for me to write more.
If it weren't for all the other kinds of ships everyone would fly a strike fighter.