A rookie's take on GSF

Raposaescura

So I'm about 50 or so matches into GSF. I'll be honest. I'm doing it primarily for the conquest points but I'm enjoying it more than regular PVP and hopefully, I'll get the hang of it eventually. However, there is one thing that absolutely drives me mad. I don't mind getting blown up by other pilots who i can't even see. I don't mind that the learning curve makes me feel like I'm looking a vertical rock face from the bottom. I don't mind that the tutorial woefully under prepares one for the game. What I hate the most is that the game trolls me while I'm playing. I'm out there trying to, at the very least, not be affecting my team negatively and avoid getting killed. I'm breaking line of sight from missile locks by trying to scrape them off on asteroids or other obstacles and up comes the message that i'm not contributing. Then, to make it worse, when I die, it tells me that I'm contributing again. Yeah, sure. To the other team. As a beginner, the game is challenging enough without the negative commentary from the game itself. I understand the principle and the game wanting to keep all players engaged but enough is enough. Maybe several hundreds of games into the future, I'll either be skilled enough to where it doesn't happen or that I simply won't care any more.

"Contributing" as the game sees it consists of:

Hitting an enemy player with a damaging weapon/ability (includes hitting mines and drones)

Hitting an enemy turret with a damaging weapon/ability

Being within range of a satellite for at least one "tick" of the sat defense timer (about 0.5-2 seconds to register depending on where in the count the timer is and how bad your latency is).

Picking up a power-up in a Team Death Match.

I can't remember for sure if healing teammates with Repair Probe counts or not. I may have forgotten miscellaneous other "contributions."

At any rate, depending on how purely defensive your defensive flying style is when under pressure it can still happen sometimes even if you have thousands of games played.

If you want to win the game as a primary objective, then don't worry about it. Your uncounted contribution of flying as defensively as you can if that's what is needed definitely counts.

If your primary objective is earning requisition on a character, then avoid non-contributing status, as even a few seconds will pretty seriously reduce your requisition earned for that match.

Once you know what the rules for "contribution" are and have decided whether or not you care much about requisition gain for a match it's pretty easy to avoid non-contributer status if you want to.

For a newer player it can be hard to do both "official" and team types of contribution at the same time in tight matches.

The hint I'd give in those cases is to go for satellites/turrets/drones/mines/power-ups, because those are PvE objectives that if approached carefully are not very effective at damaging players (compared to a skilled player controlled ship).

Edited by Ramalina

To add to the things Ramalina said:

As far as I know just collecting power-ups in a death match doesn't count as contribution.

I remember a few times where I was on an extensive power-up search and got the message that I'm not contributing.

Maybe the time between the power-ups was too long, but personally I don't think so.

Btw. does anyone know how long the timer for not contributing is?

Another thing that counts as contributing is dying (either killed or selfdestructed).

In my case if I'm too far off in a Death Match I rather destroy myself than getting kicked out of the game.

(I know it was mentioned in Raposaescura's post but mentioning it again might not hurt ^^')

Also if I die in a good game I rather enjoy it since it means that I can still get better and those games where you stand 12-6-0 tend to be rather boring. Well you still get better in such a game by noticing your hit percentage which could be better in your opinion. But questions like 'How could I have evaded death' or 'How could I have killed' contribute more to getting more skill. This is the case since start thinking on how to fly better in terms of flying or build strategies. In the other case it would be your technical that gets better (Not saying that better technique is not good).

Well this is my few after around 2000 games and maybe it will change later on who knows.

As long as I enjoy GSF it is ok I guess.

I think 9/10 matches (i.e. I've played 10 matches) told me I wasn't contributing. Quite frustrating and just makes me want to play it even less.

If you follow these simple steps, you will be contributing and that irksome message will trouble you no more:

DOMINATION MATCH:

1. Fly to point A, B, or C on your map. Choose the one where the greatest number of your teammates are heading.
  2. Maneuver close to the satellite that you will find there.
  3. Shoot at enemies that are in range, but focus on staying alive by dodging pursuers and staying out of gunship line of sight by using the satellite's structure.

TDM

1. Let your team take the lead when initially engaging the enemy.
  2. Approach while keeping obstacles between you and enemy gunships.
  3. Look for an enemy that is engaged with one of your teammates. Target that enemy and open fire!
  4. Don't overpursue. Land some shots, get to cover, and find a new target.

GENERAL

1. Try equipping Cluster Missiles if your ship offers them. They lock very quickly compared to other missiles.
  2. When firing lasers, make sure you are in range. Center your target before firing.
  3. Do not use Rapid Fire Lasers.

Following these fundamental steps will lead to you contributing and helping your team.

Also, I wrote a guide for beginners that you might find useful. So did other people.

- Despon

I've made no assumptions. The information I'm presenting is geared towards people in exactly the situation you're in.

Then I guess you still don't understand how little I know about it.

I could probably learn some stuff eventually from beginner's guides but I haven't put the effort in since I have no incentive to play right now.

To the OP: I can sympathize with your frustration. While the intention behind the game's tracking of your contributing status makes sense (in trying to weed out people who genuinely sit idle and do nothing), it's far from perfect and unfortunately catches a lot of folks in its net that don't deserve to be caught. The example you provided - of someone who is trying to both learn and help by focusing on being evasive - is a good one to illustrate that.

There are also many other ways of contributing to a match that the game doesn't recognize. One of the most crucial I can think of are pilots who are keeping a satellite neutral by flying evasively around it and preventing its being captured by the other team; that pilot gets zero objective points for their effort, and may be dealing out no damage at all - and yet they are doing possibly one of the most critically important things you can do in a domination match to help win a victory for your team. I was once in this exact position for almost five whole minutes (it was a seriously crazy match around that Shipyards B satellite), and I too got that nasty "you are not contributing!!!" warning multiple times. In my case I can afford to shrug it off because I have spare requisition oozing out of my ears, but requisition is a precious currency to pilots who are still working toward mastering their ships and it's extremely unfortunate that the game doesn't have a more sophisticated way of tracking contribution. :(

Unfortunately, GSF (despite what its detractors who haven't given it sufficient time to know better like to say) is very nuanced in its gameplay and there's just no way to write an algorithm that can truly track what a player is doing to contribute to their team. Merely tracking damage dealt and received and objective points around a satellite you already control is nowhere near enough, but it's a limitation of the mechanic we have to live with.

While it's easier said than done, I can only strongly encourage you to disregard that warning message and not give it weight. Anyone with experience playing GSF can sympathize with you and will know that that message is often meaningless. In my experience, I've never yet met a pilot who judged another person's contribution based solely on the non-contributing icon in the lobby, or called people out just for that reason; seeing where a player is on the map and what they're doing as you fly by them is a much more accurate way to tell how/if someone is contributing. If I see a player out there in the scrum, I know they're participating, no matter what the non-contributing icon might say.

As for some advice to avoid the message in future, Despon gave some good generalized tips on ways to contribute outside of direct kills. To echo some of them:

1. Fly to point A, B, or C on your map. Choose the one where the greatest number of your teammates are heading.
  2. Maneuver close to the satellite that you will find there.
  3. Shoot at enemies that are in range, but focus on staying alive by dodging pursuers and staying out of gunship line of sight by using the satellite's structure.

You can still get a lot of practice in with your evasive flying while following this strategy. In fact, you're learning some of the most crucial evasive flying in the game: being hard to hit in a close quarters fight around a satellite. Rest assured that even if you're getting killed frequently doing so, you are absolutely contributing to your team's shot at victory.

[*]Don't overpursue. Land some shots, get to cover, and find a new target.

This is a very good point. It can be fun to doggedly pursue (and I am very guilty of this sometimes), but it is also an extremely risky tactic to take while still in the learning phases of GSF. Pursuing a target who are themselves falling back to a safer area means exposing yourself to much more enemy fire, and putting yourself on the defensive in turn. You might experience more luck by trying to engage targets who are already involved in other fights and, as Despon suggested, taking one or two shots and then falling back to reassess your situation. If you do this - darting in here and there for a nibble - even if you are otherwise spending almost all of your time just being evasive you will avoid that non-contributing headache.

[*]When firing lasers, make sure you are in range. Center your target before firing.

This - firing while out of range - is the most common mistake seen from newer pilots. The thing is, GSF has as much minutiae to learn as any other aspect of the game - only it's asking you to do so in a hair-trigger-speed live-fire situation, which makes recognizing and understanding the nuances while in the match itself pretty much impossible. The tutorial is sub-par, and trying to jump into a GSF match for a total newcomer is like jumping into a shark tank with several open wounds already bleeding chum out into the water.

Despon recommended some guides, and I know that several other regulars will probably drop in here with guide recommendations of their own. These are all great guides and worth reading, but I'm also of the opinion that many of the guides GSF enthusiasts have put together over the years don't break things down to the real core basics a true beginner needs. For example, Despon's tip to make sure you are in range before firing is a crucial one... and yet I've seen countless scores of new players who don't even know that their weapons have ranges, which indicates that most tips GSFers would typically offer (on tactics and strategy and loadouts) are going to be no help whatsoever because a handle on the core basics is still needed before those can be processed. And that's just one example from a whole host of things that might be preventing a newer GSF player from getting maximum enjoyment out of the game.

So... I've never done this before, but I'd actually like to offer up a guide some of us on the Begeren Colony server put together for some GSF events we hosted there: Begeren Colony Flight Academy. That guide takes absolutely nothing for granted in terms of what it believes a new GSF player ought already to know, and it walks you through all sorts of game mechanics explanations that might help you to see less of that non-contributing message. At the very least, if it tells you even just one little thing you might not have known before, then it's done its job. GSF needs all the happy new pilots it can get! :D

To add to the things Ramalina said:

As far as I know just collecting power-ups in a death match doesn't count as contribution.

I can add my anecdotal evidence as well to support this. Power-ups do not count toward your contribution status. There have been plenty of blow-out matches in which I opted for restraint and chose to go power-up hunting instead of rampaging through a rookie team who might just like the chance to play a match through without being relentlessly perforated, and I've gotten plenty of non-contributing warnings for doing so. Though I like to think I'm contributing to the match by not making it a miserable experience for some pilot on the other side who's only starting to explore GSF. :p

Then I guess you still don't understand how little I know about it.

I could probably learn some stuff eventually from beginner's guides but I haven't put the effort in since I have no incentive to play right now.

TheRandomno, I'm not sure exactly the point you were trying to make here. Was it that the guides/tips as provided are not well suited to your current experience level? If so, then maybe there's something in the guide I linked to above that might help. Trying to break some GSF tips down to their absolute most basic level was the goal of that guide.

But if you meant that you weren't interested in guides right now because you're not interested in playing GSF... then I'm not sure what your interest in commenting here was?

Edited by JediBoadicea

TheRandomno, I'm not sure exactly the point you were trying to make here. Was it that the guides/tips as provided are not well suited to your current experience level? If so, then maybe there's something in the guide I linked to above that might help. Trying to break some GSF tips down to their absolute most basic level was the goal of that guide.

But if you meant that you weren't interested in guides right now because you're not interested in playing GSF... then I'm not sure what your interest in commenting here was?

All I said was that it's annoying to be told that you're doing nothing (via the game's "not contributing" message) when you don't know how to do anything.

I'm sure I wouldn't see that message if I took time to learn the basics, but that wasn't the point.

Edited by TheRandomno

All I said was that it's annoying to be told that you're doing nothing (via the game's "not contributing" message) when you don't know how to do anything.

I'm sure I wouldn't see that message if I took time to learn the basics, but that wasn't the point.

Ah, so you simply wanted to complain about something in a public forum instead of seeking advice, applying it, practicing, and getting better. Please note: this isn't ground pvp - we try to help people here, rather than complain loudly enough for the devs to nerf a class. If you want the message to go away, you'll need to take (rather than shun) the helpful advice that others are giving you. In this game mode, the devs will not simply make it go away because someone complained on the forums.

I've played 10 matches I know way less about GSF than you assume.

You got an answer tailored to the lowest assumptions. Literally the minimum you need to do in order to avoid the annoying "non contributing" message. What does your knowledge have to do with it?

I would generally try and convince you to learn, but why? You have no incentive, whatever that means.

If you don't want to play a game for fun, which incentive would you look for in a game? Special gear? A nice title?

To OP, I think your question has been answered thoroughly. Stick to it, and know that under certain situations (when flying a Warcarrier/Legion in TDM, for example) that message might be unavoidable. It's often not an accurate representation of real contribution, and most players will appreciate your effort whether you got the message or not.

You got an answer tailored to the lowest assumptions. Literally the minimum you need to do in order to avoid the annoying "non contributing" message. What does your knowledge have to do with it?

Do you really expect I know enough about the game right now to understand caederon's advice?

I would generally try and convince you to learn, but why? You have no incentive, whatever that means.

If you don't want to play a game for fun, which incentive would you look for in a game? Special gear? A nice title?

I had trouble finding the right word for it. I just don't want to try playing right now but that may change in the future. I do actually have an incentive which are the achievements for it, but there are a lot of other achievements I can do first.

Do you really expect I know enough about the game right now to understand caederon's advice?

Yes, I do. His advice requires you to know nothing other than how to fly forwards, that your left mouse button fires your blasters, and that red = bad and green = good. I guarantee you knew that.

If you didn't, now you do.

Yes, I do. His advice requires you to know nothing other than how to fly forwards, that your left mouse button fires your blasters, and that red = bad and green = good. I guarantee you knew that.

If you didn't, now you do.

His guide definitely requires me to learn more than that. I don't think you can disprove that just based off the fact I did not understand most of the advice. Even if I understand what he's saying it doesn't mean I know how to that in a match.

His guide definitely requires me to learn more than that. I don't think you can disprove that just based off the fact I did not understand most of the advice. Even if I understand what he's saying it doesn't mean I know how to that in a match.

Fair enough, I certainly can't argue with that. Let me do you one better, and break down his advice to beginner-friendly language:

DOMINATION MATCH:

• Fly to point A, B, or C on your map. Choose the one where the greatest number of your teammates are heading.

You said you have flown 10 matches. There is a slim chance that all of them were deathmatch (highly unlikely, since there are more domination maps), so I'll assume that they were. When you enter a GSF match, you'll see at the bottom right corner of your screen a map, just like in the ground game. This map will show the location of you and your teammates, as well as visible enemies. Teammates will appear as green arrows, and enemies will appear red. You will appear as a a slightly larger green arrow, with eddies pulsing outwards of you.

On this map (in the case of domination matches) will also appear three letters - A, B, and C. They signify the locations of the three satellites (referred to as nodes). If you point your arrow on the map towards one of these letters, you will fly there. Make sure that there are lots of green arrows to protect you, or you might very well die.

• Maneuver close to the satellite that you will find there.

Once you've reached the satellite, fly close to it, and don't stray far from it. This will give you objective points, and thus prevent the "non-contributing" message.

• Shoot at enemies that are in range, but focus on staying alive by dodging pursuers and staying out of gunship line of sight by using the satellite's structure.

Enemies appear red. They will also have a red circle in front of them, known as their lead indicator (or reticle, or reticule). If this lead indicator is red, fire at them by placing your cursor on it and clicking your left mouse button. Don't allow firing at enemies to take precedence over staying near your node, though.

TDM

• Let your team take the lead when initially engaging the enemy.

TDM is team deathmatch, the second game mode in GSF. The objective here is to kill enemies faster than they kill you. New players will generally find this mode harder to contribute in, since the only way to do so is by dealing damage to the enemy. This tip will not directly help you avoid the dreaded message, but it will help you avoid the dreaded respawn screen. Staying back means you won't be a primary target of the enemy. This in turn means that you won't die as much, which means you will have time to learn how to fly.

• Approach while keeping obstacles between you and enemy gunships.

Gunships are the snipers of GSF. They are easily seen from afar, thanks to a (commonly) orange, blue, or (rarer) red halo that surrounds them as they charge up their shot. If you see such a halo, put an object between you and it. Remember - if you can't see them, they can't see you. A more advanced way to do this would be by targeting said gunship (placing your cursor on it and pressing "E"), and then checking your direct line of sight to your target (by pressing "C").

However, you can place an object between you quite easily without doing this, by simply flying around a rock or beneath a wall.

• Look for an enemy that is engaged with one of your teammates. Target that enemy and open fire!

You will know the enemy is targeting someone else by two different ways:

1. They will be shooting, but you won't be taking any damage. You can tell if you're taking damage when your screen flashes red, your shields and/or hull change color (seen at the bottom left of your screen) and your copilot starts foreseeing your demise vocally.
  2. Looking at your targeting screen (top right corner of the screen), "target of target" appears above the ship model. If you are your target's target, in addition to your name being there, it will also be red.

Shooting at enemies who aren't shooting at you is a good way to contribute, since you're peeling for a teammate with out putting yourself in as much danger.

• Don't overpursue. Land some shots, get to cover, and find a new target.

If your target died, great! You just earned an assist (or kill if you landed the killing blow). If they ran away back towards their team, leave them alone. Let someone else kill them. Fly back towards your own team, and see if you can pick up another target matching the same criteria as the previous one.

Hopefully this makes his tips much clearer. I don't know of a way to make them more beginner-friendly without actually getting into a match with you and talking over voice.

Edited by Greezt

Please note: this isn't ground pvp - we try to help people here, ..

Exactly. - If this was the ground PvP forum , their advice would probably be a lot more insulting, toxic and offensive.

Between posters here, we've got all the servers covered, OP. - so 'm sure one of them can team up with you and give you some pointers in-game. -That is, if you're willing to accept a little coaching.:)

I found

that goes through the basics of GSF. I did a quick search to see if I could find tactics a new player can use in various situations but that's all I saw. Most of the videos I've seen have been a little more advanced than I would expect a new player to make use of.

• 1 month later...

I get flagged sometimes when a complete gankup is going in with multiple ships trying to kill me. There is absolutely no chance to fly straight enough to get a shot in to unflag, and there is no way I'm going to stop dodging fire and die. When flagged as non contributing, that allows people to vote kick you. I only vote kick people I know that are known to spawn in and AFK for conquest points. I do not vote kick people I do not know. You will probably be safe from getting kicked from the map providing you are legitly actively playing.

There is too much detailed and good advice in here for me to write more.