Confused About Light vs. Dark Rewards Armor Sets

Xina_LA

I'm rather confused about how the armor sets from the Light vs. Dark event reward packs are supposed to work.

When I received my first tier of rewards, 5 packs, there were several pieces of armor inside. When I moused-over these pieces, I could tell by the tooltip that they are obviously part of a set. After I equipped them once, they showed up as part of my Collections. I assumed that I would be able to unlock the set for other characters once I obtained the rest of the pieces.

Yesterday I completed the second tier of Light vs. Dark and received 10 packs. I opened them and noticed 2 problems --

* There were many duplicate items, just my bad luck. They show as having a value but cannot be sold to vendors. Since they're bound to character and can't be sold, they're completely useless, right? I thought we would be able to sell duplicates to vendors?

* None of the armor pieces have a tooltip that they are part of a set. However, if I go into my Collections, they are supposed to be part of a set. Even after equipping them, there's no progress toward set completion. I can also find the armor offered as a set in the GTN. How can the LvD reward pieces have the exact same name but not actually unlock in Collections toward a set?

I read somewhere that there is a bug, preventing multiple characters from working together to unlock a set. This is not that situation. All of these packs have been opened by the same character.

Between the high number of duplicates and the lack of Collection unlocking, this is making me feel like I did a whole lot of work for extremely little gain. What went wrong here?

Edited by Xina_LA

You were really, really, really, really, really lucky that you got full sets in your first batch.

Basically, RNG. I haven't gotten a full set out of any of the ones I have gained (although, I predominately have had bad luck with all the gamble packs).

Edit: I'm referring to the rewards from the first three tiers (all currently obtainable) of the event, not the purchase packs.

...I also have bad luck with the purchase gamble packs, too.

Edit 2: you have to wear the WHOLE set for the pieces to unlock, not just part of the set.

Edited by myrdinn

I don't have a whole set of anything. I thought that I could work toward a whole set. That's why I'm totally confused that none of the armor pieces from the last 10 packs have progressed me toward a set.

I know that you have to equip the full set to unlock it in collections. However, I can usually see my progress towards a whole set in the tooltip of the armor pieces. It will say something like 3/7 and highlight all the pieces that I have equipped at some point, making it easy for me to see what pieces I still need.

The armor pieces from the last 10 packs come from sets I can find in Collections. However, they don't tooltip as being part of the set (no list of pieces) and they don't show as making progress toward unlocking them all.

Maybe this will make my predicament more clear:

Imagine that you have Exiled Revolutionary's Jacket. When you mouse-over the jacket, the tooltip shows you a list of all 7 pieces of the set.

Now you buy some Exiled Revolutionary's Gloves. You equip the Jacket and the Gloves.

When you read the tool-tip for the set, two of the seven pieces are highlighted and your progress is 2/7.

Now you open a Light vs. Dark pack and out falls "Exiled Revolutionary's Bracers" and "Exiled Revolutionary's Goggles".

Both of these items have NO tooltip. You equip them and check your other pieces, but you aren't at 4/7.

So... what is different about the pieces that came out of the LvD packs as opposed to other packs? The names are identical, the appearance is identical, so what gives?

Now imagine you get a second set of the Goggles from a pack. Not only is it Bound, you can't sell it to a vendor, even though the tooltip says it's worth 2,000 credits.

So, I know Exiled Revolutionary is a bad example because it may not be one of the sets that comes out of the LvD reward packs, but you get the idea.

Just for clarity, these items have all come out of the packs you get automatically as a reward, not purchased from the Cartel Market.

Edited by Xina_LA

I don't have a whole set of anything. I thought that I could work toward a whole set. That's why I'm totally confused that none of the armor pieces from the last 10 packs have progressed me toward a set.

Random is random. When you get the whole set, and wear it, then it'll show up in your collections.

But each "box" doesn't know about the results for any other box. They are all granting random rewards... each of the boxes are independent gamble attempts. It is possible you will never assemble a whole set from straight DvL box rewards.

Aye, I know. But that counter won't count until the whole set is worn; not all the suits seem to count right (1/7, 2/7, etc). This predates the DvL rewards; had the same bad luck with some sets out of cartel (and socials purchased, etc).

Edited by myrdinn

Aye, I know. But that counter won't count until the whole set is worn; not all the suits seem to count right (1/7, 2/7, etc). This predates the DvL rewards; had the same bad luck with some sets out of cartel (and socials purchased, etc).

Okay, so you're saying... some sets don't show the tooltip counter right, but they'll still unlock once I get all the pieces? I hope that's correct, because that's a huge relief! :)

Okay, so you're saying... some sets don't show the tooltip counter right, but they'll still unlock once I get all the pieces? I hope that's correct, because that's a huge relief! :)

Ye got it.

Edit: some folks are even mixing and matching DvL sets with what they can buy off the GTN. The mixed sets work.

Edited by myrdinn

Good to know. I haven't gotten anything I even kinda like so far, so no big deal yet, but it has crossed my mind many times.

Ye got it.

Edit: some folks are even mixing and matching DvL sets with what they can buy off the GTN. The mixed sets work.

As an add-on:

For some sets, mixing and matching doesn't seem to work (there's a Bug Forums thread about it and which sets)