Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

An Easy Guide to Primary Stats and Others

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
An Easy Guide to Primary Stats and Others

ElweSingollo
01.20.2013 , 08:38 AM | #131
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffandthat View Post
Okay! So I am a little confused. Just say I have a Consular which has a primary stat of willpower. Are you saying that if I find an item that increases my willpower but reduces armor that I should just ignore the armor stat and equip it anyway?

And just say I know someone that has been playing a Jedi Knight and hasn't geared them up by focusing on the strength stat so much, how would you recommend that they change all their gear? Using credits or by using WZ comms?
Looks like I may be responding to a dead thread, but hopefully this will help you. Yes, you should concentrate on increasing your primary stat. If you haven't been doing that, you will not be competitive (pvp) and will have more trouble completing quests (pve). What other stats does the item increase? You didn't mention what advanced class you are pursuing, either - shadow or sage? Either way, as DPS (shadow) or healer (sage) armor should not be a great concern.

As long as you are not trading a higher level item for a lower level one (eg, a resolve mod 5 for a force user mod 4) increasing your primary stat is the action that you should be taking. Armor values should increase with each higher level item mod.

Wildskull
02.08.2013 , 11:56 AM | #132
Holy crap, I am so glad that I found this!

My main is a Jedi Sage, but on all of my Jedi / Sith characters, I had been stacking Willpower. Seemed to make lore sense to me.

In any case, my highest level of these "mistake characters" is a level 20 Marauder. For quest rewards, I usually ignored most of the gear, since it didn't have Willpower! and when drops with WP showed up, I snatched them up.

So, is there any way to fix this? Or should I just delete the character and start over?

Thanks in advance, dudes.

Cyllenius
12.31.2013 , 06:31 AM | #133
In relation to the question of whether to raise the character's primary stat or to raise endurance.

Endurance only improves health, which determines the total ampunt of damage a character can absorb.

However, the primary stat will presumably improve defence ratings (avoiding getting hit in the first place or avoiding damage if hit) and will also improve healing powers.

It is also possible to gear up with various armour types with secondary defensive stats or to use shields, depending on class specialization.

So increasing endurance isn't the only way of increasing the 'survivability of the character?

Cyllenius
12.31.2013 , 09:52 AM | #134
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyllenius View Post

However, the primary stat will presumably improve defence ratings (avoiding getting hit in the first place or avoiding damage if hit) and will also improve healing powers.
Havimg checked into this, primary stats do not seem to affect defensive stats directly but the basic point I am making is that by investing in the primary attribute you can brimg enemies down more quickly, (and stun or impair them using powers) giving them less chance to harm you (especially a grpup of weaker foes) and you can heal better, so you may not need quite so much health.

And you can mitigate direct damage to health by investing in class appropriate armour and boosting defensive secondary stats.

So endurance is important but I would not invest in it at the expense of my character's primary attribute.

Kaos_KidSWTOR
12.31.2013 , 10:21 AM | #135
Quote: Originally Posted by Wildskull View Post
Holy crap, I am so glad that I found this!

My main is a Jedi Sage, but on all of my Jedi / Sith characters, I had been stacking Willpower. Seemed to make lore sense to me.

In any case, my highest level of these "mistake characters" is a level 20 Marauder. For quest rewards, I usually ignored most of the gear, since it didn't have Willpower! and when drops with WP showed up, I snatched them up.

So, is there any way to fix this? Or should I just delete the character and start over?

Thanks in advance, dudes.
Just go on the GTN and buy a bunch of Orange or Cartel Gear that you like the look of and put Strength Armorings and Mods in it. along with Power and Endurance Enhancements.

Edit: I would also like to add something that the OP from ages ago didnt even scratch.

If you find a Datacron with say Cunning if your a Bounty Hunter, go ahead and pick it up! Cunning is a minor boost to tech damage as a Bounty Hunter, and the majority of damage that the BH deals is Tech, for both Merc and PT. But say a Strength Datacron, that's particularly useless because there are no Melee damage abilities for Merc or PT, Rocket Punch is NOT a Melee Damage type ability, it is a Tech Damage Type ability.

Damage types in SWTOR are divided into 4 catagories

Ranged, Melee, Tech, and Force.

All abilities are classified by atleast one of these 4 types. There are also damage Modifiers like Internal and Kinetic, those modifiers do different things depending on what they are. For instance Crushing Darkness is an Internal Force ability, it will pierce some amount of armor due to it being an Internal damage ability.

Valyencia
04.20.2014 , 01:58 PM | #136
Thank you for this...just what I needed!
Valyencia

MiketheSWman
04.26.2015 , 01:48 PM | #137
This post definitely helped me for understanding the bonus stats more, thanks bud.
When in doubt, Frag out.