Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Companion same sex marriage and reputation

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Companion same sex marriage and reputation

IoNonSoEVero
09.22.2017 , 09:35 AM | #221
Quote: Originally Posted by Eshvara View Post
Hmmm, well I'd at least think Luke would be bi if anything, he did like his sister quite badly, until he kinda figured stuff out.🤔
That's quite true, he was attracted to Leia. Even though it's totally fine *whatever* his orientation actually is, I'm personally sorry they didn't find a way to keep him with Mara Jade in the films, because that was a very cool relationship IMHO.

Eshvara
09.22.2017 , 10:16 AM | #222
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
That's quite true, he was attracted to Leia. Even though it's totally fine *whatever* his orientation actually is, I'm personally sorry they didn't find a way to keep him with Mara Jade in the films, because that was a very cool relationship IMHO.
I don't know much about her, but I remember they had kids together?
Hairy Co-pilot.
👀

IoNonSoEVero
09.22.2017 , 10:42 AM | #223
I don't know much about her, but I remember they had kids together?
Yes - their kid is Ben Skywalker. Since the movies now use the name 'Ben' for Kylo Ren as Leia's kid, it's probably safe to say that Luke's kid in the old EU is wiped clean in the new canon. In the books, FWIW, Leia and Han have three kids - a set of twins and a younger boy (Jaina, Jacen and Anakin).

Mara is a very fierce Force user - she is one of the Emperor's Hands charged with hunting down Luke, and obviously that doesn't work out. She basically removes herself from the world because she's so upset about failing the Emperor, but she and Luke eventually hook up.

Eshvara
09.22.2017 , 11:34 AM | #224
Yes - their kid is Ben Skywalker. Since the movies now use the name 'Ben' for Kylo Ren as Leia's kid, it's probably safe to say that Luke's kid in the old EU is wiped clean in the new canon. In the books, FWIW, Leia and Han have three kids - a set of twins and a younger boy (Jaina, Jacen and Anakin).

Mara is a very fierce Force user - she is one of the Emperor's Hands charged with hunting down Luke, and obviously that doesn't work out. She basically removes herself from the world because she's so upset about failing the Emperor, but she and Luke eventually hook up.
Ahhhh, well that sounds pretty interesting! I wish they would make series of the old stuff, much more of a fan... personally.
Hairy Co-pilot.
👀

IoNonSoEVero
09.22.2017 , 12:02 PM | #225
Ahhhh, well that sounds pretty interesting! I wish they would make series of the old stuff, much more of a fan... personally.
I agree, I wish they'd gone with that for the films or made a series out of it. I suppose the issue with making films from it is that there's no surprise; so many details are already known (the books go pretty far into the kids' adult lives. With Leia's twins, one ends up going Dark Side and the other is Light, for instance. And Luke has a Jedi order but it's different than the old one; marriage and love are allowed).

They wrote the books and comics in the extended universe for...decades...and it's a shame that all got thrown out for The Force Awakens. But I do love the new Darth Vader comics they've done since then. They have had him adventuring with what are essentially murderous versions of C-3PO and R2-D2 and they're almost as hilarious as the HK droids.

drug_cartel
01.13.2018 , 09:12 PM | #226
At this point, I don't want anything to change the original story. I think it'll cause bugs, and even if it was handled perfectly, it would annoy me to no end when I look at the 18 characters I've already played to cap and think that I might want to have handled some of them differently. Especially when accessing the expansions ended the original companion stories, so there is no way to go back and play them (and in many cases, those companions haven't even yet returned).

Instead, what I would like to see is, as companions are introduced in the future, both new ones and the return of old ones, give them a simple companion quest chain for conversations. Include a romance option for both male and female characters. Maybe your female Bounty Hunter was friend-zoned by Mako for years, but now that you're back together after all that time, she's more open to it. Maybe a returning Doc finally has the courage to confess his feelings to your male Knight. Same companion characters, and I am totally up for opening the door to same gender relationships, but I want it to be done in the new story, not as a rework of the old one.

And while they're at it, there is no reason why certain other characters cannot be romanced at all. My Trooper feels her kinship with Tanno Vik. My Smuggler loves her protective Bowdaar. My Sith Warrior wants to have more than just a one night stand with Lt. Pierce. Why are 3/4ths of companions so stand-offish that they never will even so much as allow you to flirt with them?

Nozybidajj
01.14.2018 , 12:16 PM | #227
As someone returning to TOR for the first time since release, its pretty bad this is still a problem. Still no same sex companions for the first 60 levels. Bad enough the devs totally dropped the ball on this at release, even worse that they haven't corrected their mistake over the years.

Adjusting or recording a few new lines of dialogue for the companions to be ready for a same sex PC wouldn't take all that much work. Apparently 6 years still isn't enough time for them to fix that. Really shows how little they care about LGBT issues even today.

husospalacsinta
01.15.2018 , 02:30 AM | #228
Quote: Originally Posted by Nozybidajj View Post
Adjusting or recording a few new lines of dialogue for the companions to be ready for a same sex PC wouldn't take all that much work. Apparently 6 years still isn't enough time for them to fix that. Really shows how little they care about LGBT issues even today.
It is troubling that a game this old still has this issue, and if you think about it, Bioware has joined the LGBT+ advocate train the last decade, (Dragon Age, Mass Effect always have had LGBTQ choices) while this game never included this up until recently.

I... firmly believe they are afraid of backlash from the (Amurrican) Christian community, since the hatred lobby there is insanely strong. They should just do it, and do it WELL, so when someone plays it, it won't seem like a lobby-influenced feature (like in ME: Andromeda).

Just do it.

IoNonSoEVero
01.15.2018 , 12:04 PM | #229
Quote: Originally Posted by husospalacsinta View Post
It is troubling that a game this old still has this issue, and if you think about it, Bioware has joined the LGBT+ advocate train the last decade, (Dragon Age, Mass Effect always have had LGBTQ choices) while this game never included this up until recently.

I... firmly believe they are afraid of backlash from the (Amurrican) Christian community, since the hatred lobby there is insanely strong. They should just do it, and do it WELL, so when someone plays it, it won't seem like a lobby-influenced feature (like in ME: Andromeda).

Just do it.
Unfortunately I think that is exactly what it was, they were afraid of backlash from specific communities that are homophobic, and because Star Wars has such a brand name, they didn't want to risk it. Which is why we are where we are now, with only one F/F LI, only two M/M LIs and no same-gender flirts until Makeb. It's been mentioned numerous times that they actually did script SGR in the original game and it was pulled. It's disappointing, really, that they didn't just go for it.

Nozybidajj
01.15.2018 , 09:37 PM | #230
Unfortunately I think that is exactly what it was, they were afraid of backlash from specific communities
At the time (at and during the first few months after launch) I didn't think that. Coming back though 6 years later and it still isn't fixed? Its either fear of backlash or outright disdain for those that want the content added. 6 years.

I get at release they kinda had a whole pile of other issues they were trying to address and this got put on the back burner, but 6 years? If they didn't have the money for it they could have just had some intern edit the sounds files on his lunch breaks and still had it done long before now. 6 years, and still no progress at all has been made. That is just... pathetic.