Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Companion same sex marriage and reputation

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Companion same sex marriage and reputation

TrixxieTriss
07.18.2016 , 10:35 PM | #1
This is an old arguement, why can't we have this? We never had this option before Lana and Theron were introduced in an expansion. Originally it was planned to have same sex relationships and I believe it was even in the alpha and beta versions. But was removed because of the crazy Christian lobby in America having a hissy fit. Since Disney took over SW, all that has changed, that don't give a rats what the zealots think.
So if you want to be with the same sex you can now be with Lana or Theron. But even now you can't cement the relationship. And let's face it, they aren't really relationship material, lol.
With Bio now concentrating on story mode in this game, there needs to be some tweaks for the original stories. All we need is the same options we have on the opposite sex companions to be an option on the same sex companions.
I understand this maybe a little bit of a challenge for the Devs, but seeing as they want this to be based mainly on story, while letting the MMO part of the game die, I can't see why they can't put a small amount of reasources into tweaking this.
Even if all this is in the too hard basket, how about letting us have that option with our returning companions during the new story. And for the love of God, please give us back ones we can romance and not things like Quaz.
Some of you will ask why all of this is an issue for me and others, it's because we are gay or lesbian and it's off putting having to chose the opposite sex to romance. Also this isn't some gay agenda I'm pushing for either, I just want to be able to submerge myself in the story the same as every other person can.
Lastly, if all that is still too hard, can you at least remove the negative reputation we get when we say no to our opposite sex companions advances. I literally had no option with the Warrior companion Doc in a few conversations to choose anything but flirt if I didn't want a big negative. I didn't even have a neutral option as 2 of them say flirt (he really is a dirty perve lol)

leene
07.18.2016 , 10:48 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Lastly, if all that is still too hard, can you at least remove the negative reputation we get when we say no to our opposite sex companions advances. I literally had no option with the Warrior companion Doc in a few conversations to choose anything but flirt if I didn't want a big negative. I didn't even have a neutral option as 2 of them say flirt (he really is a dirty perve lol)
Oh gosh, so much this (although, Doc's a Knight comp ). Someone who doesn't want to be in a relationship does not necessarily have to be an ******e.

Also the other things you said. My female smuggler has been holding a torch for Risha for so long... sigh.

AllisonLightning
07.18.2016 , 11:04 PM | #3
[QUOTE=leene;9002791]Oh gosh, so much this (although, Doc's a Knight comp ). Someone who doesn't want to be in a relationship does not necessarily have to be an ******e.

Agreed, with Revel/annoying pirate twit for the Inquisitor I was literally afraid to brush him off for 'disapproves'. It's bad enough female players have so few options and the OP has even more reason to be frustrated since they had to wait until expansions for relationships that match them... but forcing us or with any companions we don't want to romance to pick romance options for approval is the height of stupidity at best and offensive at worst.

And pre 4.0, I think is when we could lose influence.
http://www.swtor.com/r/xsvzTv

Come to the dark side, where you get cookies and so do I.

Rolodome
07.18.2016 , 11:05 PM | #4
I agree, though unfortunately, I think part of the issue with romances in the class stories is that some of the dialogue is gender-specific. "Man this," "woman that." So they'd almost have to fudge with soundbites or get the voice actors back for a quick session in a few spots. Not to mention the complaints that may arise if they fundamentally change any of the dialogue (not that I'd care about them removing a reference or two to man and woman, but I assume some anti-revisionist-minded people would).

I noticed that in the new romances, they are careful about making flirt dialogue gender neutral, so that it transfers fluidly, regardless of gender. Pretty certain the new stuff is bereft of references to the player character's gender. A clever bit of time-saving that would have been great for going back to the class stories later. If only vision was 20/20 in foresight.

TrixxieTriss
07.18.2016 , 11:23 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Rolodome View Post
I agree, though unfortunately, I think part of the issue with romances in the class stories is that some of the dialogue is gender-specific. "Man this," "woman that." So they'd almost have to fudge with soundbites or get the voice actors back for a quick session in a few spots. Not to mention the complaints that may arise if they fundamentally change any of the dialogue (not that I'd care about them removing a reference or two to man and woman, but I assume some anti-revisionist-minded people would).

I noticed that in the new romances, they are careful about making flirt dialogue gender neutral, so that it transfers fluidly, regardless of gender. Pretty certain the new stuff is bereft of references to the player character's gender. A clever bit of time-saving that would have been great for going back to the class stories later. If only vision was 20/20 in foresight.
I have a friend who makes electronica music and sound bytes for work. It's relatively easy to change the small amount of dialogue without the actors. As long as you have the original sound files and not some dubbed ones.
As for complaints, it's the complainers that had the option removed before launch. I really have no sympathy for them, especially when they have other options and this one wouldn't impede their experience.
But if you want to talk about revisionists, what about how they have made the game stupidly easy and made all companions capable of doing any role. If they can change such major things like that and not give a damn, then it should hardly be a speed bump to change what I'm suggesting.
The companion conversations I had yesterday, didn't have any she or he dialogue that I came across.

Small response to the other two posts.
Yep, I meant Jedi Knight instead of Warrior.
And you still lose rep/affection a lot of the time if you choose not to flirt.

TrixxieTriss
07.18.2016 , 11:24 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by leene View Post
Oh gosh, so much this (although, Doc's a Knight comp ). Someone who doesn't want to be in a relationship does not necessarily have to be an ******e.

Also the other things you said. My female smuggler has been holding a torch for Risha for so long... sigh.
Kalio's also ready to swing both ways.

LyraineAlei
07.18.2016 , 11:40 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post

Small response to the other two posts.
Yep, I meant Jedi Knight instead of Warrior.
And you still lose rep/affection a lot of the time if you choose not to flirt.
About Doc, I'd just take the hit of fewer influence points and stuff him full of gifts and make convo options he'd like that aren't flirts (rare in his convo line, but there are a few...), then take him out to a few planet stuff from Hoth and beyond, picking up Heroics from the NPCs might be a good way to do so.

I'm hoping some previously unromance-able companions will be romance options (Sourge, Rusk, Qyzen, Talos despite already being brought back, Gault if the Hylo thing fell through, so on and so on) and those may or may not include same sex romances.

TrixxieTriss
07.19.2016 , 12:15 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by LyraineAlei View Post
About Doc, I'd just take the hit of fewer influence points and stuff him full of gifts and make convo options he'd like that aren't flirts (rare in his convo line, but there are a few...), then take him out to a few planet stuff from Hoth and beyond, picking up Heroics from the NPCs might be a good way to do so.

I'm hoping some previously unromance-able companions will be romance options (Sourge, Rusk, Qyzen, Talos despite already being brought back, Gault if the Hylo thing fell through, so on and so on) and those may or may not include same sex romances.

Yeah I took the hit with that perve, Doc.. LoL
I want Jaesa, Kira, Calio and Ensign Temple

StupidWiz
07.19.2016 , 01:18 AM | #9
I wish I could marry Theron.

It doesn't need to be a big fancy wedding, just in his companion description there's a line that says, "You've married Theron Shan and have become his husband." But then again, I don't think he believes in marriage tho.

Of course, with this KoTFE series and later will be KoTET, I fear that somewhere along the line he could die, or be separated from the outlander indefinitely. Don't you dare BW, I've maxed his influence!!
Currently active on Satele Shan server: Alenheim (Shadow)

... All I see is sky... for forever...

Tsetso
07.19.2016 , 02:24 AM | #10
Not against it if it's for future content. Hell no it if they have to change the old content. The game would be broken for months(if not years). Have you forgotten that inquisitors couldn't even start kotfe if they wanted to finish companion story with ashara? Or any other companion bug that hasn't been fixed for years? If you're not convinced just search the forums for "companion bug" and you'll find plenty.