Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Best Tank Class?

ColoringBook
12.26.2011 , 05:32 PM | #1
I have recently decided to switch over from focusing on an empire class to a repulic class. I have a group of friends that i play with and we each have decided to choose a seperate role to focus on. I have chosen the tank role. I decided that my tank class would be a Trooper. Is a trooper the best class to play a tank role with? I played my trooper up to level 7 so far. If a trooper is not the best class for a tank role, i believe i am willing to start an new character. I was wondering if anyone had any recommended classes.

A fellow SWTOR player,
Coloring Book

Fizbanic
12.26.2011 , 11:43 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by ColoringBook View Post
I have recently decided to switch over from focusing on an empire class to a repulic class. I have a group of friends that i play with and we each have decided to choose a seperate role to focus on. I have chosen the tank role. I decided that my tank class would be a Trooper. Is a trooper the best class to play a tank role with? I played my trooper up to level 7 so far. If a trooper is not the best class for a tank role, i believe i am willing to start an new character. I was wondering if anyone had any recommended classes.

A fellow SWTOR player,
Coloring Book
There is no best class. No matter what any one person here states there is none, it all comes down to the player behind the class. They make it the best for them and not you.

Find a class you are proficient at, if you seem to struggle with the trooper then try a different one.
ThyBountyHunter Mercenary Bounty Hunter
Conclave Atrum Empire Guild | Conclave Lumen Republic Guild

Finerva
12.27.2011 , 12:05 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Fizbanic View Post
There is no best class. No matter what any one person here states there is none, it all comes down to the player behind the class. They make it the best for them and not you.

Find a class you are proficient at, if you seem to struggle with the trooper then try a different one.
I agree with this, and this is wisdom.

There is also the issue of player perception. Even if class roles strives for balance, the player base will designate classes as the "better" tank classes or healing classes, regardless of the truth behind the numbers.

To me, this perception is almost a bigger issue because an MMO is a social experience. It's not always fun to be driving a class that the community feels is a poor mans tank or any second rate class role because then you end up needing to sell your class role to people to convince them its viable.

I think maybe that's the question that's being raised.

Jpope
12.27.2011 , 09:13 AM | #4
In my opinion, the best upfront tank is the Vanguard/Powertech and the best sustain tank is the Guardian/Juggernaut and the Shadow/Assassin are somewhere in the middle.
Quote: Originally Posted by Battlebug
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tiduslol
whoaaaaaa, bold statements - a pity jpope hits like a girl.

Covaloch
12.27.2011 , 08:07 PM | #5
What's an upfront tank and what use is a tank who can't sustain being hit? Lots of preconceived ideas being thrown about here.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams, glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments, will be lost, in time, like tears in rain."

Noth
12.28.2011 , 04:10 AM | #6
BH has the most tools to tank AoE and mobile content due to range and multiple closers and virtually no threat problems. Jugg supposedly has the best single target threat but worst aoe threat, thus have to work a lot harder to handle some big pulls. Assassins are somewhere in the middle.
╼S T D╾
◈Get Infected◈
Sith Empire│PVP│PST
STD Guild HQRecruitment ThreadGuild Site

CaiusMartius
12.28.2011 , 10:24 AM | #7
Ok, I have played Trooper to 29, Shadow to 28, and Guardian to 21.

My thoughts are this.

Trooper is definitely good at AoE threat, but the biggest weakness of the trooper is that they can pull more damage than they can actually take. The heroic quest Search and Destroy on Tatooine was a good example of this. For general content the trooper has an extremely high fun factor. Highest AoE DPS.

The Shadow is EASILY the most underrated tank, but is actually quite amazing. The Shadow is a much more strategic tank. You have the option of a 60 second CC, which combined with a scoundrel and/or sage, allows you to dramatically cut down the size of pulls. The Shadow has outstanding single target dps with the right talents, is very durable, and can still manage aggro. Fun factor with the Shadow isn't great in the teens, but increases dramatically in the upper 20s. (This is an example of a late bloomer class.) Highest Single Target DPS.

The Guardian is probably the most durable tank. You can spec for several "oh crap" abilities that dramatically reduce incoming damage. They have decent threat, but easily the lowest DPS of the tank classes. The Guardian could very well become the premier boss tank for raid content, but it will require some serious dedication from the player to get to max level. The low DPS and lackluster skill trees makes this class the dud of the trio for general/solo play.

I do not agree that all tanks are equal and it is only the player behind the character. Having played 3 tanks, I can tell you that they each have strenghts and weaknesses. You really need to decide what kind of tank you want to be. IOW, if you want to be an AoE tank, do not choose a guardian.

I do not know what the mechanics of the raid content are like anyway and I acknowledge the fact that evaluations on classes at anything less than max level are not completely accurate. I have however seen patterns forming in each AC.

What was really surprising to me is that the Shadow with cloth armor seems to lag behind plate by a maximum of only 10%. Given the self-healing abilities of the shadow, I am thinking that this may be a wash. This is pure speculation, I don't have any math to back it up. I will just say that I was surprised at how well my Shadow takes hits compared to my Trooper.

fitterbr
12.28.2011 , 11:24 AM | #8
Until you play every class at 50 there is no way to compare them. The abilities you get in your tree completely change the tanking game.

Assassin takes a bit more effort to keep up dark ward, and no charge so you need to use sprint and actually run to a mob rather than just hit a button and show up there.

Really what you should ask yourself is what cool utility do you want your tank to have. If its stealth then go asn. If its pull then go asn or BH.

Personally I don't like the rage mechanic or the tiered heat regen mechanic so I went Asn.
(██////////////██████████████████████████████████████)

ruminate
12.28.2011 , 11:36 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by CaiusMartius View Post
The Guardian is probably the most durable tank. You can spec for several "oh crap" abilities that dramatically reduce incoming damage. They have decent threat, but easily the lowest DPS of the tank classes. The Guardian could very well become the premier boss tank for raid content, but it will require some serious dedication from the player to get to max level. The low DPS and lackluster skill trees makes this class the dud of the trio for general/solo play.
Threat for all tanks is based on DPS*1.5. The only abilities with "high threat" baked in are those that deal no damage. Jugg's Backhand, despite its description stating it does "high threat", only factors its damage for threat purposes. Same deal with Assassin's Wither ability. Their descriptions are a holdover back from when the abilities dealt no damage.

Now what does this mean? It means Juggs actually have the lowest single-target threat of all tanks. (on top of the worst AoE threat)

Dawning_Enmity
12.28.2011 , 11:43 AM | #10
Vanguard is easy mode FP tanking.

With soo many ranged non CD abilities, its very easy to tank enemy's spread out.

The only class that can tank all in a Mash pit (i.e. DPS hitting any mob they want to and not coordinated)