Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Trouble, Destiny, and Other Complications - AU: Caught

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
Trouble, Destiny, and Other Complications - AU: Caught

frauzet
07.07.2016 , 04:46 PM | #1
“Your brother has a way with math. You have a way with trouble,” mom used to say when we were still children. Back, when she was still alive. She probably has been right. All I ever made was mistakes. Funny how things turned out. The current catastrophe represents only the climax of a long line of bad decisions.

My best friend died three days ago. She took a bullet for me. By now I know I got the short end of the deal.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

I have not given up on TDaOC.
Still some AUs just won't leave you alone.
I hadn't intended to write about this one. The start is rather dark. I changed my mind. Or I had my mind changed?

Unlike in TDaOC in this AU Thorns missed his opportunity to become a bounty hunter. He ends up as a thief in Imperial captivity on Korriban instead. This has some major effects on the dynamics between the characters. I have neither a plan nor an idea how this will turn out.
This will probably NOT be PG 13, but I'll try to write nothing too explicit.
I won't promise a regular schedule, since I won't be able to keep that promise.
Expect rather short parts.

Constructive criticism is welcome.
I hope, you'll enjoy this story.

The start contains spoilers for the beginning of the Sith Warrior story line.
Author of "Trouble, Destiny and Other Complications" and the AU "Caught"
Participant of the "Short Fic Weekly Challlenge Thread!"
All my stories from TDaOC and SFWC in chronological order

frauzet
07.07.2016 , 04:49 PM | #2
The last years never saw me hungry. Astonishingly the feeling is still familiar. Ignoring the gnawing in my intestines as best I can, I concentrate on my muscles instead. The cell doesn’t provide anywhere near enough room for proper exercises. Still I fight the effects of food deprivation. Tensing and relaxing parts of my body in turn gives me something to do while I wait for certain death. I am a thief. Even being human does nothing to raise my value. I saw what happened to the prisoners in the other cells. I won’t lower myself to begging when my time comes.

frauzet
07.09.2016 , 08:01 AM | #3
Have you ever experienced the pleasure of subsiding pain? If you don’t know what I am talking about, I recommend a standard issue Imperial shock collar. Try intensity three for starters. You don’t miss much if you skip one, and two. Bruising your thumb in your parents front door hurts worse. Three is where you’ll probably start to grit your teeth. At four I need all my determination not to scream. Five is my personal favorite. The pain from the electrocution blends into the pain from my sore throat seamlessly. Meager water rations add extra fun. I usually wish I were still able to scream when we reach six. But even someone as stubborn as me needs air to scream. Up to now I haven’t managed to breathe while my body twists itself into knots. We haven’t progressed past six — yet. By the glint in his eyes, the jailer is already looking forward to give it a try.

Lunafox
07.10.2016 , 01:16 AM | #4
I think it's a great idea to explore AU, and I'm enjoying this a lot. I like the diary like posts, they're quick and easy to get into and well written too. Keep it up. AU seems to be catching on more these days. OfficerDonz did an AU version for his fic too and it's quite wonderful.

You guys are going to get me thinking about AU and I have enough on my plate already lol.
Lunafox's Stories🌙🦊Lunafox's Decorating
Koona t'chuta, Solo?
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
omg Darth Lunafox in the house

MishaCantu
07.10.2016 , 11:01 AM | #5
I am enjoying this a lot. Feeding us small snippets that are easily digested is an interesting presentation and your writing style within these small spaces is very engaging. An AU story is an intriguing idea, perhaps I will give it a go myself at some point and see where that rabbit hole leads.

I am really looking forward to your next post.

Diviciacus
07.10.2016 , 02:26 PM | #6
I enjoy the diary style! Each entry is a short and self-contained, delicious little bite. And the information content is staggering; there's a lot of info to be had about the background and situation in very few words. Definitely looking forward to more
Nonne mei fratres congruitis nobis nostram cruore ferroque humum recipienda esse aut Imperium Aeternum quae omnia speremus peregerimusque vere perdat?
Conquering the Darkest Places, the ongoing misadventures of a Sith doing what's right by her.

frauzet
07.11.2016 , 05:25 PM | #7
Thank you for your feedback guys. You made my day

All I can say is that AUs are a very dangerous thing. Once you start thinking about one, others will pop up.
Small decisions, coincidences, accidents may have a huge impact on ones life. With AUs it's easy to explore those impacts for our characters. Give it a try, and don't say I didn't warn you.

I love writing, but as I mentioned in my headcanon thread I have serious problems to get scenes worked out rn. These small pieces were a way to trick myself into actually writing something instead of editing stuff to death. I am not sure how this is going to work out for the following posts, which will contain conversations. This is an experiment. We will find out.

What I already have found out is that first person present is damned close and intimate. It's my character and it's happening right now. I love it. And with the small pieces, especially in conversations, it feels even more real. Once a bit is posted, it's said and done. Like in a real conversation you can't take it back. (Well, technically I could, but that would be cheating.) Action, reaction. I think about what happens next in the next post. It probably won't surprise you, when I tell you, that it didn't take my characters long to surprise me

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

I awaken to a strange irregular rhythm. It takes me a while to recognize it as my heartbeat. Intensity six doesn’t kill me after all. At least not at once. After the majority of my neural pathways, too, wake up, I can’t imagine anyone recommending regular, or prolonged use. Through a haze of pain I identify the jailer’s voice. He tells me I am lucky. I am still needed. Me? Someone must have made a mistake. Whatever! But I am still alive. Can’t say that I care. Death seems cozier right now.

There is someone else talking. Male, if I am not mistaken. The jailer tries to argue. He explains about the intensity settings of the shock collar. Level seven is bound to do permanent damage – immediately. Not advisable if you want someone to be able to walk on their own. Eight and beyond were not implemented to be used on humans. Leaves them with cauliflower for a brain. Not as tasty but as capable of coherent thought. We wouldn’t want that, now, would we? Do I get a vote, too?

“Leave us!” the second person orders. Footfalls, the sound of a door opening and closing. “You are not afraid of death.” The man doesn’t ask. “Level six, huh? Regrettable!”

I share his opinion. My heart gives up on the lepi hop in exchange for something more solemn. The silence stretches on. I am not in a talkative mood. His clothes whisper of movement. I might as well see if my eyes still work.

OfficerDonNZ
07.11.2016 , 08:21 PM | #8
It's an interesting style Never really done much first person stuff. The dairy format is kind of interesting. Hmm it's actually giving me ideas (as if I don't have enough already!)

And I know what you mean about characters, you want them to say/do one thing then they'll likely want to do something else entirely. Such is the joy of being an author.

frauzet
07.13.2016 , 03:26 PM | #9
A dark blur leans against the wall close to my cell. I blink, and it resolves into a humanoid shape. Raising my hand to wipe at my eyes proves to be a real effort. It also takes some effort to swallow the bile back down. I groan.

Unmoving the man observes me. What’s so interesting in watching me struggle? He doesn’t occupy a cell. He is somehow associated with the jailer. He’s a pervert. Save assumption. Question answered.

As my eyes continue to adjust, the man’s features become clearer. Gray hair, shoulder-length. Probably human. Tanned. Dark form-fitting clothes. I squint at the metallic glint on his forehead. The corners of an implant show half hidden beneath the man’s hair. I recognize him. A coldblooded Sith acolyte dealing with three prisoners as part of his trials. Seems like he isn’t done with that part yet. He holds the remote to my shock collar.

Laws never interested me too much; Imperial ones did so even less. So, I’m not clear on the details. I doubt they’re fond of people trying to rob their temples and gravesites, though. No, I am not afraid to die. Still I prefer a not overly unpleasant execution. My gaze shifts to the hilt of the blade – some kind of training weapon – the acolyte wears on his back. I remember the prisoner he killed. Messier than a vibroknife, still better than setting seven on the shock collar for sure. Beggars can’t be choosers.

“What way to die will it be?” My voice sounds worse than after three days of drinking and smoking too much.

“That eager?” He raises an eyebrow.

“I thought you were here for your next trial.”

“I am,” he says. A short hesitation. He ponders what to say next. “You will open Naga Sadow’s tomb for me!” Again, this isn’t a question.

„Go **** yourself!“ I mutter and brace for the electroshock. My friends died when we tried to open that tomb. I hold the Sith’ gaze. The shock doesn’t come. His eyes sparkle with amusement. I notice their green color. Memories of Ce’na catching sunlight in stolen emeralds.

“An intruiguing instigation, alas, anatomically impossible.” He sounds almost regretful.

MishaCantu
07.13.2016 , 03:53 PM | #10
Most excellent and a clever way to intersect the warrior story. The future has endless possibilities. Keep it coming.