Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Juggernaut or Marauder?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Juggernaut or Marauder?

DevoutKnight's Avatar


DevoutKnight
06.21.2016 , 08:03 PM | #1
Hello, I'm fairly new to the game; I just began today, actually.
I played Lord of the Rings Online extensively before this and have experience with games.

So, I'm going to be playing a Sith Warrior, and I'd like some advice as to what specialization I should choose: Jug or Mara?

I hear that Jug is pretty much indestructible and Mara does the most dps, but what if someone could tell me a little more about each spec, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

LadyDarkkitten's Avatar


LadyDarkkitten
06.24.2016 , 11:08 AM | #2
Well Jugs can be tanks as well as dps, maras can only be dps. At max level maras do more damage the jug dps, but they are harder to play and have complicated rotations. In contrast I find on a jug dps I can actually perform to a higher standard as I don't get so lost and confused in the rotation. I also die alot more while leveling maras, but thats probably because they are squisher and you have to be able to put out your damage properly to kill the mobs before they kill you. In eve terms your dps is your tank! As I suck at doing that its probably why i die so much. Jugs are more forgiving.

For leveling purposes many go with Jug tanks, they get nice aoe and its pretty fast. For leveling pvp I really enjoyed the rage spec jug. It has very nice on demand burst damage and if you want to try your hand at pvp I would reccomend you go this route. If you have tanked in other games and want to try it here I really do recommend jug tanking. Its my preferred of the 3 classes to tank with in its current state and it works really well. Its intuitive, involving without being so demanding it impacts on your situational awareness.

Hope that helps?
Quote: Originally Posted by NathanielStarr
Here is my argument. The PvP is so good and balanced the game has to go free to play if it hopes to survive. More than 2/3rds of the player base left because PvP is too good. It's so good and balanced that no one wants to play it.

AdjeYo's Avatar


AdjeYo
06.24.2016 , 11:37 AM | #3
I wouldn't say marauders are more complicated than juggs. Yes, it's very much true for annihilation, however marauders have fury(which is pretty much the same as rage) and carnage, which is very simple to play. In the end juggs are probably a bit better for leveling, but in end game content, you'll find that jugg dps are pretty lackluster, especially compared to marauders, considering they have the highest sustained damage spec in annihilation and an excellent burst spec with carnage. If you're interested in tanking though, juggernaut tanks are currently in a very good place, both in PvP and PvE.

In summary, if you just want to dps, Marauders are clearly superior to juggs. If you want to tank, juggs are great at tanking.

Rion_Starkiller's Avatar


Rion_Starkiller
06.24.2016 , 12:18 PM | #4
I haven't seen a mara outperform a vengeance jugg in HM ops.

That said, marauders have 2 viable and competitive dps specs. Jugg dps is more boring, IMO, and it's vengeance or nothing.
-Beruhl
Quote: Originally Posted by Trolltar View Post
I believe he's quoting a frequent contributor to these forums. His name is Strawman.
Quote: Originally Posted by Edyn View Post
I like RNG because I'm better at being lucky than you are. l2p

AdjeYo's Avatar


AdjeYo
06.24.2016 , 12:56 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
I haven't seen a mara outperform a vengeance jugg in HM ops.

That said, marauders have 2 viable and competitive dps specs. Jugg dps is more boring, IMO, and it's vengeance or nothing.
Vengeance doesn't stand a chance compared to annihilation, if played properly. And rage is, like fury, pretty meh and is easily beaten by carnage. Hell, carnage parses more on single target than vengeance does.

rklontz's Avatar


rklontz
06.24.2016 , 01:11 PM | #6
You are going to do both eventually but I say Jugg first

Medakon's Avatar


Medakon
06.24.2016 , 03:52 PM | #7
Marruder is using 2 lightsabers, one each hand(so dual wielding class) with Medium armour. While the juggernaut use 1 lightsaber with Heavy armour, basicly a 2handed melee warrior class.

Personally I go juggernaut because its alot faster to get dungeon/raid party if you go tank. For leveling Juggernaut is faster in tank role, than a marruder dps. This is because of bolster scales tanks beter than other specs. As juggernaut dps its basicly the same speed.

Theoreticly a dps marruder does more dmg at endgame than juggernaut, but thats really rare to see.

PvP wise juggernaut dps gets nuked before marruders, unless juggernaut is tank.

Btw Juggernaut is the best tank ingame, and has the higest damage reduction overall in fights.

AdjeYo's Avatar


AdjeYo
06.24.2016 , 04:31 PM | #8
It's rare to see a marauder do more damage than a juggernaut? In what universe?
Marauders parse a lot more than juggernauts, even carnage parses like 400 dps more than vengeance. I really enjoy playing juggernauts, my main is one, but they're not at all a good dps class in endgame PvE, the only reason to bring them to raids is you really love juggernauts or can't play as anything else (a dps juggernaut that is, tanks are in a great place)

WayOfTheWarriorx's Avatar


WayOfTheWarriorx
06.25.2016 , 07:03 AM | #9
I play a Carnage marauder, I'm mostly into end game progression raiding but I so some PVP on the side. While PVP isnt my main focus, my experience is sufficient to be able to speak to the general performance of Marauders and Juggs.

Regarding PVE - During your first 30 levels you won't see a tremendous difference in terms of damage output between Marauders and Juggs because neither class has a full array of all the attacks and abilities they will aquire later on. Things simply die to quickly to be able to take notice of any damage differences between the two ACs. As you go higher in levels and eventually reach end game the difference in damage can considerable, all things being equal. [Which is to say equally geared and skilled]. A person who perhaps has not mastered the rotation or have a full understanding of procs, abilities usages, and is not geared properly or well can be outdone by another class whos player has a better understanding of such things. A skilled Jugg can out DPS a Marauder who lacks sufficient skill to get the most out of thier AC. On more evenly matched players, though, a Marauder will almost always do more damage than a Jugg. Marauders damage ceiling is simply higher than that of a jugg [at least two of the specs, Fury Marauders are a different matter]. This isnt to say that a Jugg does bad dps [Vengeance]. Under most conditions at end game a decent Vengeance Jugg can put out sufficient DPS to meet DPS requirements.

While the Marauder has the greater damage potential, they also are damage sponges and are squisher than a Jugg.A Jugg has better survivablilty and that can certainly make a difference. - This makes perfect sense when one considers the fact that Marauders are a pure dps class. Unlike Marauders, Juggs can spec into a tank role [ and boy can they ever tank!], and they have better armor and damage reduction. Fighting a Jugg is like fighting a wall.

I think most would agree that Marauders have a higher skill requirement to get the most out of the AC and keep everything in sync. Juggs are much more straight forward than Maras and thus are easier to play to their potential.
Annihilation is probably the most complicated spec in the game with regard to rotation. Carnage has a simpler rotation,and is the fasted spec in the game but it is very unforgiving of mistakes and one most be able to think quick and act quick given the extreme speed of the spec. One mistake and your whole rotation can go out of sync and than you have to spend the next few GCDs to bring it back on kilter. This of course comes at a dps lose during such times.
The Rotation itself is simple enough, but executting it properly at its level of speed is anything but simple.
When the higher skill is there however, they are rewarded for thier troubles with some bih numbers. - Given the choice between a Jugg dps or a Marauder, in most cases of operations, the marauder is more desirable for a group.

Bases solely on my experience[ which is considerable] It is very rare you find a Jugg out dpsing a Marauder [ at equal skill and gear levels] in HM Operations.

Regarding PVP - While Marauders may be the kings of damage in a PVE setting, a Jugg can outdo a Marauder in PVP. On equal terms the Jugg will do better. Juggs are extremely well suited for PVP, they are tough as nails and their damage potental is excellent and more than a match for a marauder. Marauders have it hard in PVP as compared to virtually every other class in the game, there are simply too many stuns, mezzes and slows being thrown around for a Marauder to keep up with, to say nothing of all the AOE being spammed under the Maras feet while they are fighting some other opponent.. There are some excellent Maras in PVP, but there are alot more Juggs doing it better. A skank tank Jugg is an absolute terror on the battle field.

As others have already pointed out, if DPS is your thing go Marauder and work the skill set. Simply put, they are better at it than Juggs. -

If you dont have much experience in the game, id also recommend going Jugg. They are easier to play and harder to bring down than a Marauder. Having access to two role options is quite a fringe benefit as well. Once you get comfortable with that and have a bit more experience you can always role a Marauder than if you like.

You really can't go wrong with either AC. It really comes down to a matter of taste and there are pros and cons to both. They both bring utility to a group and are more than capable of clearing any content in the game.

I hope this might aid you to some small degree in making the choice.
~ I am Grim.


"There's a word for Lightside Sith. It's called Jedi."

Rion_Starkiller's Avatar


Rion_Starkiller
06.25.2016 , 02:51 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by AdjeYo View Post
It's rare to see a marauder do more damage than a juggernaut? In what universe?
Marauders parse a lot more than juggernauts, even carnage parses like 400 dps more than vengeance. I really enjoy playing juggernauts, my main is one, but they're not at all a good dps class in endgame PvE, the only reason to bring them to raids is you really love juggernauts or can't play as anything else (a dps juggernaut that is, tanks are in a great place)
Maybe I'm seeing baddie maras, and you're seeing baddie juggs.

But I definitely see 5k+ parses in vigi/veng. For example, using saber reflect on Karagga is a huge dps gain. The other day, I was in a SNV HM with a jugg parsing 5.1k on Styrak. (These aren't world record parses or anything, just trying to make a point.)

I wear my sentinel gear on my veng jugg and still parse 5k+ in most most HM boss fights. My sent and jugg parse about the same, except that vigi/veng is easier than watchman/anni.
-Beruhl
Quote: Originally Posted by Trolltar View Post
I believe he's quoting a frequent contributor to these forums. His name is Strawman.
Quote: Originally Posted by Edyn View Post
I like RNG because I'm better at being lucky than you are. l2p