Restore cutscenes from heroic missions

Sukhrajsgh

As the title says, I believe that the development team should restore the cut scenes we get from the heroic missions, when we hand in to the heroic quest after completing the quest to heroic npc quest givers.

I'm a star wars lover and I started to play the game because of the story that it provides. Therefore I think that removing the cut scenes that we get from handing in the heroic missions to the npcs heroic quest givers contribute the the story experience we get as well as show us the results of out actions, Some heroic mission even require us to mkae lightside or darkside choices upon handing in the mission like "A Question of Motivation" on Balmorra.

However due to the auto complete of heroic mission, we no longer get to make that choice nor do we get to see the results of the missions. In some cases the npc heroic quest givers have been completely removed like the ones who give us "Factory Recall" and "Man in The Metal Mask" on Hutta.

And the most ironic thing is KOTFE was supposed to be about the return to traditional storytelling that was the root of the SWTOR game to begin with but the development team actually butchered a quarter of the story telling in the game with the release of KOTFE.

I know that many players like that the need to hand in the heroic quest have been removed as it allows them to do the weekly heroic faster, I do too, but BW should at least allow us to have the heroic cut scenes while we are leveling up or even better they should make it optional thus allowing those who want the cutscenes by handing in heroic missions to the npc heroic mission quest giver the ability to do so.

I actually wrote a ticket asking this very question, the reply I got from customer service was that there are no plans to restore the heroic mission cut scenes as far as they are aware of at this moment. I was instead advised to start a thread in the suggestion box so that it may get the development team's attentions.

So we are apparently going to have to make some noise if we want those cut scenes back.

Please sign you want them back as much as I do.

Edited by Sukhrajsgh

My thoughts on this (which I've posted before in some other thread like this) are that:

1) The missions should all retain their original NPC story pickups (wherever applicable, since some were always only on a mission terminal before 4.0 and some select number of heroics do still have their original pickups available) in addition to being available on the terminal, with the terminal version of the pickup just shortcutting past that first conversation. Either method of pickup will grant the same version of the heroic, which includes the option to instantly transport to the heroic area.

And...

2) The missions should all retain their original NPC / mission dropbox turn-ins as an option in addition to replacing the transport mission item with a comlink mission item (same as what many of the Makeb dailies have (the ones formerly associated with the staged weekly)) when the turn-in step is reached. Automatic turn-ins would effectively be removed, BUT anybody who wants to skip the in-person turn-in can just use the comlink to skip the conversation and get their mission rewards right away. Removing the automatic turn-in would also make certain bonuses easier to work around. (Some missions, you have to actively try not to finish the main objective so it doesn't complete and erase the bonus.)

Doing these two things will present all possible options to everybody. Those looking to just blast through some missions as quickly as is currently possible can still just grab everything at one terminal and warp around and have all their turn-ins happen in the field as soon as they see that they're done with a mission. Those looking to take it slow and to see the full before and after moments that precede / follow many of these missions can search for the individual pickups scattered across the planet, ignore the warp option, and make their way back again for the turn-ins. Where you pick up the missions, how you get to the mission areas, whether or not you call it "done" on the spot when the last objective is cleared? These would all be your decisions to make.

Edited by Muljo_Stpho

My thoughts on this (which I've posted before in some other thread like this) are that:

1) The missions should all retain their original NPC story pickups (wherever applicable, since some were always only on a mission terminal before 4.0 and some select number of heroics do still have their original pickups available) in addition to being available on the terminal, with the terminal version of the pickup just shortcutting past that first conversation. Either method of pickup will grant the same version of the heroic, which includes the option to instantly transport to the heroic area.

And...

2) The missions should all retain their original NPC / mission dropbox turn-ins as an option in addition to replacing the transport mission item with a comlink mission item (same as what many of the Makeb dailies have (the ones formerly associated with the staged weekly)) when the turn-in step is reached. Automatic turn-ins would effectively be removed, BUT anybody who wants to skip the in-person turn-in can just use the comlink to skip the conversation and get their mission rewards right away. Removing the automatic turn-in would also make certain bonuses easier to work around. (Some missions, you have to actively try not to finish the main objective so it doesn't complete and erase the bonus.)

Doing these two things will present all possible options to everybody. Those looking to just blast through some missions as quickly as is currently possible can still just grab everything at one terminal and warp around and have all their turn-ins happen in the field as soon as they see that they're done with a mission. Those looking to take it slow and to see the full before and after moments that precede / follow many of these missions can search for the individual pickups scattered across the planet, ignore the warp option, and make their way back again for the turn-ins. Where you pick up the missions, how you get to the mission areas, whether or not you call it "done" on the spot when the last objective is cleared? These would all be your decisions to make.

Yeah this is what I meant. We should be allowed to have the option of whether or not we want to have the cut scenes. This way those who want to skip it get to skip it, and those who want to watch the cut scene or revisit get to watch it.

Its a solution that satisfies everyone

I believe if you go to the old npc issuer instead of using transport the story still unfolds as always? I will test and confirm. Tho I prefer it as it is, after playing this came so long they all sound the same to me anyway. Just text me my orders and let me do my job I say!

Confirmed cut scenes are still intact as are heroic mission contact cut scenes. Just look for NPCs with arrow triangles.

Edited by JaxstonEagle-Eye

I believe if you go to the old npc issuer instead of using transport the story still unfolds as always? I will test and confirm. Tho I prefer it as it is, after playing this came so long they all sound the same to me anyway. Just text me my orders and let me do my job I say!

Confirmed cut scenes are still intact as are heroic mission contact cut scenes. Just look for NPCs with arrow triangles.

I think there has been some miscommunication here

You are talking about the cut scenes that we get from heroic quest giver npcs at the START of the mission, when we get the missions from the npcs.

We are asking to restore the cut scenes we get when we AFTER complete the heroic mission and return to npcs to hand it in. The cut scenes we get from handing in the quest to npcs AFTER completing the heroic missions have been removed.

In some cases the npcs on Hutta like the ones who give "Factory Recall" and "Man in the Metal Mask" have been completely removed. They have completely disappeared.

/signed. This is now a story based game so all the story should be accessible to players.

I like the idea (mentioned above) of it being dictated by how you pick the quest. So players can choose to fly through them via the terminal, or enjoy the entire story by getting the quest from the NPC.

Edited by Simbr

/signed. This is now a story based game so all the story should be accessible to players.

I like the idea (mentioned above) of it being dictated by how you pick the quest. So players can choose to fly through them via the terminal, or enjoy the entire story by getting the quest from the NPC.

Ditto

/signs

Yes ok, there is going to be a long line of new folks coming into this game with the movies in the real world now an annual thing. Restore the full exp for these people especially so it doesn't become yet another thing vets tell them they missed. Edited by JaxstonEagle-Eye

/signed

I'm very particular about narrative completion. Leveling alts through the full story from different class and character perspectives is the primary motivation for me in this game, and I'm not taking the ones that were still behind as of 4.0 through a neutered experience.

At least I got to see them 3 times on my oldest characters, though. New players won't get to see it or will have to rely on videos that don't necessarily reflect the dialog choices they would have picked.

/signed

I support both modes:

1. Quick Heroic Farming: via the fleet terminal/quick travel should default, or possibly only have the option of, immediate rewards upon completion of the quest, bypassing all cutscenes

2. Narrative/story approach: If you obtain the quest by speaking with the original NPC, it should default to requiring you to return to the npc for the final cutscene.

This keeps the best of both worlds intact.

And...

Would love to see this implemented.

/signed

1. Quick Heroic Farming: via the fleet terminal/quick travel should default, or possibly only have the option of, immediate rewards upon completion of the quest, bypassing all cutscenes

2. Narrative/story approach: If you obtain the quest by speaking with the original NPC, it should default to requiring you to return to the npc for the final cutscene...

With both these options... /signed.

/signed

I support both modes:

2. Narrative/story approach: If you obtain the quest by speaking with the original NPC, it should default to requiring you to return to the npc for the final cutscene.

I love this approach.

/signed

I support both modes:

Very concisely written, but I feel like my way would be a lot more streamlined.

Your way requires that there be two separate versions of a lot of the heroics, like the difference between picking up a flashpoint as solo mode, tactical mode, or hard mode from the conversation pickup for it. (The heroics that never had a conversation pickup would likely only have the quick format available.) Picking up one version would of course lock out the other version from being picked up, much like bounty week missions. And then once it's picked up you're committed to the manual or automatic turn-in unless you abandon the mission and go back for the other pickup, because it's hard-coded into that version of the mission which version of the turn-in step is called for.

My way doesn't need alternate versions of the same mission coded in. It just needs to be able to offer a couple simple shortcuts. You pick up a mission one way or the other and after the initial conversation / after the mission terminal's summary you see the same first mission step being asked for. You complete the mission objectives until you reach the turn-in step, and at that point returning for the final conversation or just clicking the comlink mission item will be equally valid ways to satisfy that condition asking you to turn in the mission.

Hopefully they're considering doing this some way or another though, whatever the exact approach.

Agreed.

I know some like it faster but when picked up from the character they initialize a story that is never really completed.

I like the idea of terminal pickups lacking story while conversations starts still have it. Considering most if not all the missions are now like this from what I understand perhaps a mission terminal pickup leads to immediate completion while convo leads to convo.

Another possibility is a checkbox option perhaps that chooses whether automatic completion is active or not.

This would be really appreciated as it really breaks my immersion and I don't want to have to look on youtube for the quest completion video every time.

This seems especially strange considering the renewed focus on story which I appreciate. I know this has been posted before and I don't think any devs have posted on those threads but this is a fairly reasonable request and I would love to hear thoughts on it from someone in the dev department.

Edited by GanisPhel

• 2 weeks later...

So patch, 4.6 is out and they have still not restored the heroic missions end cut scenes that we get from handing in the completed heroic missions to the heroic mission npcs we pick up the quest from. ( Instead they decided to nerf the rewards we get from doing heroic missions).

Hopefully we can get more people to sign on this thread to convince the development team to restore the cutscenes.

• 2 weeks later...

/signed

This is but a part of a larger problem of gaming experience in SWTOR becoming too rushed towards the endgame and too streamlined for EVERYONE. whether they like it or not. Some of us still remember the game how it was in Dec 2011, and we still love the experience we were having and don't appreciate it being unconditionally taken away from us. Same sentiment could be felt in other MMOs - with one of them, the community vanilla servers got so massive that devs had to acknowledge that this is more than occasional nostalgia but a genuine experience for re-creation of which there is a commercial demand. I'm afraid that only when devs realise they can make more money by offering both new and old in one game, they will finally do something about this - but this may happen too late as people will give up and move on and never to come back to check it out.