Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Legacy names -- allow us to change them

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Legacy names -- allow us to change them

AJediKnight
12.26.2011 , 04:14 PM | #1
I'll be the first to admit that I made a mistake when I created my legacy name. I thought I was going to stick with my Jedi Knight... but I wound up later switching to a Sith Inquisitor.

To the people for whom these things matter (and granted, that isn't everyone by any means), surnames are of huge importance. We were the people who booed (loudly) when you announced the decision to link legacy names to surnames; and we're the same people who still cringe every time we have to choose between a Twi'lek and a Sith Pureblood on opposite factions either having the same surname or having none at all. I'm not going to lie and pretend that I represent everyone, or even, perhaps, a majority -- but I am hardly the only person who cares about this.

Back to the topic at hand, I chose the wrong surname, and wound up choosing a different character as my main. She will either now have to have no surname (unacceptable), or the wrong surname (also unacceptable), or I can abandon my guild and reroll on another server. As awful as such a prospect is, this is the direction I am now learning.

Because there is no method to change surnames at present (you can't petition to have it done [which begs the question -- what happens when someone chooses a profane legacy name?], you can't delete every character on the server to reset it [which I would have been willing to do] -- you literally cannot do anything but leave the server), if you make a mistake, mispelling, or simply choose something you wind up hating, that's it. There's nothing that can be done.

And I would be willing to pay -- PAY! REAL FRIGGIN MONEY -- to change my surname right now. I cannot. I am offering hard, real-life currency in exchange for such a process, and am being turned away. Hell, even if I was holding my hand out and asking for a one-time change for free, I don't think that would be that extreme an expectation.

But no; not only does Bioware not want my money; they have apparently constructued a system with the legacy that is so profoundly and rigidly 'locked in' to the core of the game that something as simple as a name can't even be changed by a GM. That's just foul design -- there's no way around it. To say I am disappointed would be a profound understatement.
[][]☲☲☲[]ị::ị\(▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Kaphik
12.26.2011 , 04:15 PM | #2
I think the whole single surname idea for the Legacy system should be scrapped entirely. It doesn't make sens if you play both factions, much less different races on the same faction. Make a surname option unlockable, but limiting us to a single one is just a waste.

BurntSushi
12.26.2011 , 04:20 PM | #3
I have The Durron Legacy. I will make Kyp proud.
Archonis
Guildmaster
Abandon Ship
A Republic PvP Oriented Guild

AJediKnight
12.26.2011 , 04:21 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaphik View Post
I think the whole single surname idea for the Legacy system should be scrapped entirely. It doesn't make sens if you play both factions, much less different races on the same faction. Make a surname option unlockable, but limiting us to a single one is just a waste.
Well, yes, this would certainly be ideal.

Have you ever seen the system in LotRO? It's geat. In Lord of the Rings Online, surnames:

1) Are not unique, so you can create familes, etc.

2) Are not linked to the first name, so, like in TOR, a character's first name remains the unique element, so you don't have to worry about someone pilfering 'your' name if you're John or Fred or something.

3) Can be changed at any time by the player.

Can you still have a legacy name without linking it to surnames? Of course. Absolutely. And it would still be just as effective of a system without the two being linked.

As it stands now, every player who takes surnames seriously must either come up with some ridiculous, stupid, far-fetched explaination for why their sith pureblood Sith Warrior is related to their human Trooper, or must hide the surnames entirely on every alt.

And, in the situation where your alt becomes a main? Well, you're just screwed, pal! Because, hey, only one surname per server, and our game is so ***-backwards in terms of programming that we, Bioware, can't even change them!

AJediKnight
12.26.2011 , 04:30 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by BurntSushi View Post
I have The Durron Legacy. I will make Kyp proud.
Should every one of you characters have to have that last name, though?

Arodin
12.26.2011 , 04:31 PM | #6
People have been complaining about this impractical implementation of surnames since the day it was revealed during beta. If Bioware is paying attention to the feedback, they should already be working on a change to this feature, which will probably come out whenever they properly finish the Legacy system. It's currently just a shell of what it's supposed to be. I just put anything in for my Legacy name and then immediately disabled it in the options because it's totally useless to me the way it is now.

Erazimus
12.26.2011 , 04:35 PM | #7
Surnames are the only actual 'Hardcore' part of this game, except maybe light side dark side points.

I agree with the OP. Charge us 10,000 Credits to change it please.

Anyway, I'm not level 30 or finished chapter 1 yet so this doesn't yet apply to me, but I have been thinking about which legacy name I will choose for over a week now.

All the good names are taken, and keep being taken so I have to be really creative. I've seen a lot of annoying legacy names from Leet speak, to Curse words, to Cheeseburger.

Those players should be forced by a GM to pay the 10k fee or suffer in SPACE PRISON!!!

Hey is there a space prison? that's not a bad idea.. speaking of good ideas please add space-ship pvp, thanks.
═════════════════════════════════════☼

Soluss
12.26.2011 , 04:36 PM | #8
What happens if you delete the character that originally obtained the legacy?

AJediKnight
12.26.2011 , 04:37 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Arodin View Post
People have been complaining about this impractical implementation of surnames since the day it was revealed during beta. If Bioware is paying attention to the feedback, they should already be working on a change to this feature, which will probably come out whenever they properly finish the Legacy system. It's currently just a shell of what it's supposed to be. I just put anything in for my Legacy name and then immediately disabled it in the options because it's totally useless to me the way it is now.
It'd be really nice if they could commicate that to us. Hell, they don't even have to be precise: just 'yeah, we're not really happy with the surnames as they stand now, either. Something else is in the works -- we promise.' That's all it would take! But, as has happened so many other times in this game's development cycle we, the players, are kept in the dark. It was like this in beta when people told them that the character creator was rather weak, or that there was ability delay, or skill bloat -- suggestions; good, honest suggestions, were ignored wholesale.

I understand this is 'their game' -- certainly, WoW has been designing under that umbrella concept for years (where the players come last and are told nothing) and it has worked out for them. But, unlike in TOR, when there is mass outcry in WoW about the stupidity of decisions, an 'official' generally steps forward to at least acknowledge that they are aware of the concerns.

That never happens here.

AJediKnight
12.26.2011 , 04:39 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Soluss View Post
What happens if you delete the character that originally obtained the legacy?
I asked Stephen Reid this: it does nothing. And, not only that, but I asked what would happen if you deleted every character on the server. Know what happens then? Nothing! You can't even petition for a surname change -- the GMs are unable to do that!

I mean, really, it's mind-boggling. Name changes are just a part of life in MMOs. People get dissatisfied; they make mistakes; they have a change of heart -- how could you possibly launch a system whre NOT EVEN THE GMS CAN CHANGE SURNAMES, BIOWARE??