Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to Play SWTOR with a Video Game Controller

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
How to Play SWTOR with a Video Game Controller

PeepsMcJuggs
12.17.2011 , 01:18 AM | #21
Okay, I finally found an easy solution to the problem of XPadder occasionally swapping maps.

PROBLEM: If you hold down two map buttons at once (like you can accidentally do when switching between mappings in a hurry), sometimes it'll get stuck in one of the alternate mappings, so map 2 becomes your default map.

SOLUTION: Hold down both map buttons again, and if you're stuck on map 2, release the map 2 button FIRST, then release the other one.

This should solve any stuck mapping issues you encounter.
"Making the internet a happier place, one infraction at a time."

Dreamsinger
12.17.2011 , 01:22 AM | #22
I have no intetion of playing with a controller but I have to say I admire the wherewithal it must have taken to figure this out. /salute
There is a special place in Hell for Forum Flamers, right next Child Molesters and those who talk in the theatre.

XIII-Crow
12.19.2011 , 09:33 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by PeepsMcJuggs View Post
I added a video tutorial for PGP if anyone needs help setting it up.

Edit: Ah, dammit, looks like the audio lost sync during the YouTube upload. I'll have to fix that tomorrow...
when will the video be up?
There is no emotion; there is peace. There is no ignorance; there is knowledge. There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no death; there is the force.
-The Jedi Code-

Avrid
12.19.2011 , 09:57 PM | #24
i see you took out the part that clearly said that the program your pushing has a trojan in it this time around

PeepsMcJuggs
12.20.2011 , 01:54 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by XIII-Crow View Post
when will the video be up?
I haven't reuploaded it, as I haven't managed to get PGP to work with SWTOR yet. If somebody manages to make these two programs talk to each other, please let me know ASAP!

Edit: In fact, I'm going to take the original vid down until I get PGP working, as I'm leading people down a rabbit hole without an exit strategy.

Quote: Originally Posted by Avrid View Post
i see you took out the part that clearly said that the program your pushing has a trojan in it this time around
I'm sorry you're confused. If you follow the link in the OP:
PS3 Controller/Keypad Installation Instructions

One of the first things you will see is:
Quote:
WARNINGS:
  • Follow the site's instructions exactly. If you assume you know what you're doing, you only have yourself to blame when you screw it up.
  • MotioninJoy installs its own Bluetooth drivers, which make your Bluetooth receiver useless for any other purpose! As a workaround, get a separate Bluetooth USB dongle specifically for MiJ, and only install MiJ's drivers for THAT BT device. I may provide instructions later on how to locate and remove MiJ's drivers if anybody needs them.
  • My antivirus program detected the DOWNLOADER trojan when I downloaded the program a couple months back (what do you expect from a program hosted in China?). This isn't really cause for concern: despite some infamy in its past, MiJ recently paid to have their drivers fully signed and approved by Microsoft, and my system's AV software was so unconcerned it didn't even warn me about the trojan: it quarantined it without so much as a popup. Other users on the SWTOR forums have fully scanned and installed the program files and determined them to be virus free. I'd be remiss if I didn't warn you though, so it's your call! I should note that today, 12/3/2011, I downloaded the latest version and ran it through multiple antivirus programs including Norton, McAfee, VirusTotal and ThreatExpert. No threats were detected. VirusTotal also confirms that www.motioninjoy.com is virus free.
Why would I omit something that everyone has the right to know?

PeepsMcJuggs
12.20.2011 , 02:31 PM | #26
I FINALLY got PGP to work! Apparently the program is very fickle about how you have your controller set up in MiJ (which means people NOT using a PS3 controller shouldn't have any problems...AS LONG AS THEY RUN PGP AS AN ADMINISTRATOR).

For PS3 controllers using MiJ, follow this guy's instructions here to get PGP to properly recognize your controller (except make sure you set Buttons 5 & 6 as L1 & R1, and 7 & 8 as L2 & R2, then disable the z-axis): http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/wiki...PS3_Controller

Updated tutorial and video to be posted soon.

PeepsMcJuggs
12.20.2011 , 10:03 PM | #27
Deleted

Nephrahim
12.20.2011 , 10:30 PM | #28
I might actually try this. Just for causal questing, I mostly only use 6 attacks or so. And it's pretty comfortable to play a game with a controller.

PeepsMcJuggs
12.22.2011 , 06:10 PM | #29

kuthroat
12.22.2011 , 06:16 PM | #30
Can you use a keyboard with the controller at the same time? So i dont have to worry about inventory and such?