Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How to Play SWTOR with a Video Game Controller

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
How to Play SWTOR with a Video Game Controller

evildestroyer's Avatar


evildestroyer
12.15.2011 , 09:57 AM | #11
Since i havent got in early access yet, what classes would be easier to use with a 360 controller? And what classes would be harder to use?

beckerdan's Avatar


beckerdan
12.15.2011 , 07:55 PM | #12
Thank you all for your posts. I have some neck issues, and it is hard to stare at a monitor for any length of time. I would like to play this game on my tv which is connected to my computer with a controller. Have any of you accomplished this yet?

Do any of you know how to make the in game text larger so it can be viewed at a distance (5ft).


Thanks in advance. I've been looking forward to this game for years, but if I have to play it with a keyboard in front of a monitor it is a deal breaker.

D

Engleheart's Avatar


Engleheart
12.15.2011 , 07:59 PM | #13
Great Post.

PeepsMcJuggs's Avatar


PeepsMcJuggs
12.16.2011 , 04:18 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by evildestroyer View Post
Since i havent got in early access yet, what classes would be easier to use with a 360 controller? And what classes would be harder to use?
I don't think any class is harder than any other to use with a controller, though I highly recommend creating separate profiles for different classes. The IA/Smuggler, for example, need the cover ability readily accessible, but this mechanic isn't used for any other classes.

I'd say your challenge is going to be more role-based than class-based. For healers, you're going to need to make sure your target modifiers are bound so you can switch between enemies and friendlies on the fly. With the demo profiles I've posted, you'd have to sacrifice some quicktab hotkeys to get all the target mods on there, but there's nothing preventing you from creating additional swappable mappings (PinnacleGameProfiler has 5, I believe...XPadder has even more than that).

Quote: Originally Posted by beckerdan View Post
Thank you all for your posts. I have some neck issues, and it is hard to stare at a monitor for any length of time. I would like to play this game on my tv which is connected to my computer with a controller. Have any of you accomplished this yet?

Do any of you know how to make the in game text larger so it can be viewed at a distance (5ft).


Thanks in advance. I've been looking forward to this game for years, but if I have to play it with a keyboard in front of a monitor it is a deal breaker.

D
I've considered this, but I don't want to fight the family over TV use As far as I know, there isn't a way to change the UI's font size at the moment...though maybe you could try lowering the TV's resolution.
"Making the internet a happier place, one infraction at a time."

Chikai's Avatar


Chikai
12.16.2011 , 04:19 AM | #15
Casual playing and storyline progression is very suitable for controller play in SW:ToR aswell, highly recommended!
The game looks awesome on 51" 3D-TV, not fun to sit on couch with mouse + keyboard.

Gnaar's Avatar


Gnaar
12.16.2011 , 04:27 AM | #16
They really should incorporate this into the game, not only for enjoyment but so disabled people can play as well.
Not that I am suppose to say that in this thread, but anyone try submitting a ticket requesting this?

PeepsMcJuggs's Avatar


PeepsMcJuggs
12.16.2011 , 04:42 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Gnaar View Post
They really should incorporate this into the game, not only for enjoyment but so disabled people can play as well.
Not that I am suppose to say that in this thread, but anyone try submitting a ticket requesting this?
I think it's safe to say offering suggestions on how to make controller setup easier, such as convincing BioWare to incorporate it in the game, is very much on topic.

I have not submitted any requests for its implementation, but I think I will. At first, I figured this was just a fun alternative gameplay style and not worth mentioning in the suggestion box for all the rage it would endure...but the fact there are players who want to play this game but are physically limited from playing effectively with a traditional keyboard-mouse setup should be brought to their attention. Hell, it hadn't occurred to me when I created this thread.

Anyway, back to the troubleshooting task at hand. I'll post a link to the suggestion thread for anyone that wants to throw their voice behind it.
"Making the internet a happier place, one infraction at a time."

PeepsMcJuggs's Avatar


PeepsMcJuggs
12.16.2011 , 04:55 AM | #18
And here's the suggestion thread: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=346072

(I dropped it in the Customer Service forum, as apparently they did away with the suggestion forum.)
"Making the internet a happier place, one infraction at a time."

PeepsMcJuggs's Avatar


PeepsMcJuggs
12.16.2011 , 02:42 PM | #19
Okay, I'm getting nowhere fast with PGP (no literally, my character won't move). I can't figure out what the issue is, but I can't seem to get this thing to work with SWTOR. Tried running as administrator, tried disabling my AV software (as apparently that sometimes causes issues)...nothing.

Ferk it. I'm switching back to XPadder until I (or someone else) can figure this one out.
"Making the internet a happier place, one infraction at a time."

Conri's Avatar


Conri
12.16.2011 , 10:45 PM | #20
I really wish they had controller and keybinding function like star trek online, it was so simple to bind.
Plus you could save a bind file and load it when playing a new character.
.