Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

SWTOR's dying days also its best?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
SWTOR's dying days also its best?

MayhemofChaonus's Avatar


MayhemofChaonus
05.23.2016 , 06:12 PM | #1
This might be just my opinion, but as far as I can see SWTOR is showing most of the signs of a dying MMO. It's sad of course, but the recently severe lack of population (especially in old daily areas, Section X, Oricon, and Black Hole are complete ghost towns :$) has given me a thought. With less players in the game, could it be possible that the lack of players means the devs can actually start listening to more people's ideas and responding to more people's bug reports?

Although I must admit that lately it seems the lack of players leaves the devs completely unmotivated, as shown by the Oricon frozen lightning stream bug and the many bugs in some companion's kits. These bugs are, in my consumer opinion, lazy bugs. That is, bugs that would normally be fixed within hours of the first bug report but aren't due to laziness or sloppiness. Just another symptom of the slow decay I suppose.

But anyway, I just want to know what people think. do you think that the smaller player pool will see more ideas given life and more problems fixed quicker? Or do you think the game is just going to slowly rot away, getting progressively worse and buggier as both dev's and players lose their passion for the game?

Furthermore, what do you guys think we can do to make SWTOR's fate the former and not the latter?

MeNaCe-NZ's Avatar


MeNaCe-NZ
05.23.2016 , 06:45 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by MayhemofChaonus View Post
This might be just my opinion, but as far as I can see SWTOR is showing most of the signs of a dying MMO. It's sad of course, but the recently severe lack of population (especially in old daily areas, Section X, Oricon, and Black Hole are complete ghost towns :$) has given me a thought. With less players in the game, could it be possible that the lack of players means the devs can actually start listening to more people's ideas and responding to more people's bug reports?

Although I must admit that lately it seems the lack of players leaves the devs completely unmotivated, as shown by the Oricon frozen lightning stream bug and the many bugs in some companion's kits. These bugs are, in my consumer opinion, lazy bugs. That is, bugs that would normally be fixed within hours of the first bug report but aren't due to laziness or sloppiness. Just another symptom of the slow decay I suppose.

But anyway, I just want to know what people think. do you think that the smaller player pool will see more ideas given life and more problems fixed quicker? Or do you think the game is just going to slowly rot away, getting progressively worse and buggier as both dev's and players lose their passion for the game?

Furthermore, what do you guys think we can do to make SWTOR's fate the former and not the latter?
If things were to stay as they are now and not pick back up after X major update announcement ( or worse no major update of new content at all ) then expect less of everything as ideally there would be less money to go around to pay for everything.

Also FWIW if you go over their careers page their not really looking for anyone for this game so don't expect to see much in the way of growth in that regard either.

Falensawino's Avatar


Falensawino
05.23.2016 , 08:39 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by MayhemofChaonus View Post
Although I must admit that lately it seems the lack of players leaves the devs completely unmotivated,
the devs are demoralized, parts of this playerbase have done their best to demotivate the devs at every turn. Look at the threads populating the front page of General Discussion ( /community/forumdisplay.php?f=255 )

What would you do if the most vocal players profess how much they hate what you've worked on for years.
The most wretched hive of troll and villainy

Refer a Friend Link

Temeluchus's Avatar


Temeluchus
05.23.2016 , 09:29 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Falensawino View Post
the devs are demoralized, parts of this playerbase have done their best to demotivate the devs at every turn. Look at the threads populating the front page of General Discussion ( /community/forumdisplay.php?f=255 )

What would you do if the most vocal players profess how much they hate what you've worked on for years.
I'd ignore it as forum posters are at best, 5-10% of your game population. Thats not a guess but a statistical average that was conducted a few years ago.

Not to say the devs completely ignore forum outcries, but forum posters are just a very vocal minority.
"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night.”

MeNaCe-NZ's Avatar


MeNaCe-NZ
05.23.2016 , 09:52 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Falensawino View Post
the devs are demoralized, parts of this playerbase have done their best to demotivate the devs at every turn. Look at the threads populating the front page of General Discussion ( /community/forumdisplay.php?f=255 )

What would you do if the most vocal players profess how much they hate what you've worked on for years.
Engage them earlier before it gets to that point?

You've got a fast declining game population and nothing new or interesting on the horizon except "MOAR CHAPTERS!" ... it's understandable people are annoyed especially when you add in the lack of communication.

DarthDymond's Avatar


DarthDymond
05.24.2016 , 05:10 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by MayhemofChaonus View Post
This might be just my opinion, but as far as I can see SWTOR is showing most of the signs of a dying MMO.
EA's Q2:FY16 (July-Sept 2015) Earnings Call: "Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ subscribers increased 33% since the announcement of the latest expansion at E3, Knights of the Fallen Empire."
EA's Q3:FY16 (Oct-Dec 2015) Earnings Call: "In Q3, STAR WARS™: The Old Republic grew to its highest subscriber level in nearly three years."
EA's Q4:FY16 (Jan-March 2016) Earnings Call: "We saw continued growth of our original Star Wars product, Star Wars: The Old Republic"
Top Grossing Pay-to-Play MMO Games by Revenue, March 2016: #3 - Star Wars: The Old Republic

...I'm a bit skeptical that the game is 'dying' at the moment.
Quote: Originally Posted by MayhemofChaonus View Post
Although I must admit that lately it seems the lack of players leaves the devs completely unmotivated
They're putting out a new content patch every month, with two coming out in June. Now, KotFE story chapters may not be everyone's cup of tea, that's fine, but they still take work to produce - pumping these out month after month doesn't strike me as a sign of unmotivated developers, their motivation is just being channeled into a particular output.

That being said, I would love to see them get a better handle on their bug fixes - that's definitely still an area where I think they have a lot of room for improvement.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

Jedi_riches's Avatar


Jedi_riches
05.24.2016 , 05:23 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
EA's Q2:FY16 (July-Sept 2015) Earnings Call: "Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ subscribers increased 33% since the announcement of the latest expansion at E3, Knights of the Fallen Empire."
EA's Q3:FY16 (Oct-Dec 2015) Earnings Call: "In Q3, STAR WARS™: The Old Republic grew to its highest subscriber level in nearly three years."
EA's Q4:FY16 (Jan-March 2016) Earnings Call: "We saw continued growth of our original Star Wars product, Star Wars: The Old Republic"
Top Grossing Pay-to-Play MMO Games by Revenue, March 2016: #3 - Star Wars: The Old Republic

...I'm a bit skeptical that the game is 'dying' at the moment.

They're putting out a new content patch every month, with two coming out in June. Now, KotFE story chapters may not be everyone's cup of tea, that's fine, but they still take work to produce - pumping these out month after month doesn't strike me as a sign of unmotivated developers, their motivation is just being channeled into a particular output.

That being said, I would love to see them get a better handle on their bug fixes - that's definitely still an area where I think they have a lot of room for improvement.
Darty, Just wait the next quarters results will show the game is dead 'HONEST', the people who are going to be negative about this game will always state that next quarter will show us what they already know and simply rinse and repeat until SWTOR is simply not referenced at all in a quarter or some other negative info coming from EA's reports.

No matter what official information you can present to these doubters they will all say the information is wrong and that they seemingly know better just because they stand around the fleet all day taking a census, I just wished these people would not try and end the game because they are seemingly not enjoying it anymore for whatever reason. They are unhappy so everyone must be unhappy with them.

But I definitely agree with you about bug fixes, one big fix patch a month is not enough in my opinion.
How PvP balance is achieved - Bioware please nerf paper its OP, scissors are fine as they are.
Regards,
Rock

Jedi_riches's Avatar


Jedi_riches
05.24.2016 , 05:33 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by MayhemofChaonus View Post
This might be just my opinion, but as far as I can see SWTOR is showing most of the signs of a dying MMO. It's sad of course, but the recently severe lack of population (especially in old daily areas, Section X, Oricon, and Black Hole are complete ghost towns :$)
Well I would say there is simply no reason to be doing dailies in this game anymore, for most there is simply enough story content for them to be getting on with, plus one of the main benefits of the daily areas were regular xp and credits, now in 4.0 xp is so easy (in fact I usually get 65 during chapter 1 of my class story) and a heroics run of 4 x 65 players will net you better credit returns even if only weekly.

As for Oricon, I never touch the planet full stop as I know that to truly finish that storyline I will need 2 operations so since I don't do operations I will not even bother setting foot there, plus many players simple skip Oricon while levelling and go class story > Ilum > Makeb > Forged Alliances > SOR > etc
How PvP balance is achieved - Bioware please nerf paper its OP, scissors are fine as they are.
Regards,
Rock

CrazyCT's Avatar


CrazyCT
05.24.2016 , 06:39 AM | #9
Ah, bugger off - is the game dying again? My hard drive is going to get ruined having to keep uninstalling this every time it's dying.
"An argument must have opposition if it is to prove itself."
Queen of the White Knights <==== Click to pay tribute to your Queen
Once managed to use "Obfuscate" in a sentence. Allegedly sounds like.....Robbie Williams?

thebumpkin's Avatar


thebumpkin
05.24.2016 , 08:01 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Temeluchus View Post
I'd ignore it as forum posters are at best, 5-10% of your game population. Thats not a guess but a statistical average that was conducted a few years ago.

Not to say the devs completely ignore forum outcries, but forum posters are just a very vocal minority.
And that vocal minority usually talk utter crap too.

If the game goes down for an hour or more due to some unforeseen technical issues, you see all the threads here about how:

"Im going to cancel."
"Im sick of this game."
"I am fed up spending money on something that doesn't work..."

etc etc etc...

Also if I had a credit for every time somebody said the game is "dying" Id be so rich Id never need to sell ANY of my cartel goodies on the GTN ever again.
"I love killing Cultists. Makes me feel like I'm tidying up the Galaxy. - Bounty Hunter, Hoth main planetary story.
"I thought the interrogation we faced on Manaan was severe. Darth Marr made that little session seem like a picnic! - C2D4, Shadow of Revan Post Darkside choice.