Returned, But Probably Leaving

Foambreaker

It is hard enough to return after more than a year, but to find all my chars have full inventory and mailboxes filled partially and randomly with companion clothing, including tons of stuff they were wearing intermixed with new replacements for things I tossed.

I have 30 days to sort all this out or lose the items...

I came back to have fun, not sort things I hardly remember what they are, if I decide I don't have time, and lose the items in 30 days, well, then that will motivate me even more to never return.

You couldn't have at least put them in separate mails with the names of the companions? Lazy coding.

I don't have one companion on one char I can just go out and play.

/deadhorse

While I understand your frustration this isn't something I'd quit the game over. When 4.0 launched and I started playing kotfe it was a hassle handling companion gear. However, the best part about the companion change is now they can wear anything. Take this as an opportunity to re-gear them and try out some new outfits. :)

This post could have read:

"We interrupt our regularly scheduled forum PVP to bring you the latest whine from someone telling us the likelihood that they may quit the game. Again."

1. We can't help you organize your sock drawer, you're on your own for that.

2. We all had to do it when our companions showed up with no clothes at the beginning of 4.0, so not much sympathy from the people with reasonably organized sock drawers.

Complete nonsense. None of their gear does anything anymore, and moreover the new companions you obtain through KoTFE cannot even wear any gear. Sell the gear, or keep it to use on your characters (if it's still companion specific).

Companion gear is now cosmetic only. If you want to boost their power curve, you build influence with them.

/Waiting for you to come back and cry about needing to build influence. ;)

Andryah is correct. All companions need is a weapon. Otherwise they fight with their fists. They can be naked and perform just as effectively.

Yep.. and you can just load any green weapon you find laying around and they are just fine. So I don't want to hear any whining about how hard it is. :)

Of course he probably will next get upset that the usable weapon has changed on some companions. :D

Andryah is correct. All companions need is a weapon. Otherwise they fight with their fists. They can be naked and perform just as effectively.

I actually prefer some of my comps to fight with their fists - Khem Val (and whatever that new dashade is called) is particularly enjoyable to watch.

It is hard enough to return after more than a year, but to find all my chars have full inventory and mailboxes filled partially and randomly with companion clothing, including tons of stuff they were wearing intermixed with new replacements for things I tossed.

I came back to have fun, not sort things I hardly remember what they are, if I decide I don't have time, and lose the items in 30 days, well, then that will motivate me even more to never return.

You couldn't have at least put them in separate mails with the names of the companions? Lazy coding.

/deadhorse

I hear ya. When I came back I had to wade through stuff for 14 characters. Took me awhile. Better having the stuff and being able to decide what to do with it rather than have it go *poof* and have people raging that "BW took all my stuffs".

I wouldn't call it "lazy coding", I'd call it "CYA coding". Another case of damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I hear ya. When I came back I had to wade through stuff for 14 characters. Took me awhile. Better having the stuff and being able to decide what to do with it rather than have it go *poof* and have people raging that "BW took all my stuffs".

I wouldn't call it "lazy coding", I'd call it "CYA coding". Another case of damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Not to mention the fact that some players complained that they did not get their companion stuff back, and wanted it. So the studio actually pushed a reset and reissued a lot of gear from companions. The OP, being gone for a year is of course completely oblivious to all of this player induced redundancy.

Not to mention the fact that some players complained that they did not get their companion stuff back, and wanted it. So the studio actually pushed a reset and reissued a lot of gear from companions. The OP, being gone for a year is of course completely oblivious to all of this player induced redundancy.

I think I might've gotten some of theirs. :rolleyes:

/deadhorse

Read through the "Community Blog" entries, which should at least explain most things for you.

And yes, I had to spend a WHOLE WEEK to sort this crap out !

Well, it can be daunting coming back to an MMO after a long time because things can change a lot.

But as others already said, the companion gear that was sent to you by mail can be sold directly to the vendor as they don't need it. Just a main hand weapon and stats are irrelevant on the weapon. It can be an orange weapon without any mods or a cheap green low level weapon, it doesn't matter, it's all cosmetic. Simple reason: stats are now fixed on companions, based on level and affection, not on gear anymore.

All in all, there may be some nice goodies in there at some point, but there's nothing in that there you would really need to play the game but I sold all that old companion gear to the vendor myself.

I think this is the first 4.x patch where a spare copy of Treek's Bowcaaster and HK-51's sniper rifle has not ended up in inventory.

Indeed... Treek gear was the gift that keeps on giving.

And on that note.. I finally tried putting some of Treeks armor on one of my non-Treek companions .. and lo and behold.... they work exactly like covert armor. Didn't see that one coming.

To be fair to the OP, not everyone enjoys playing the "Inventory Control" mini-game. I did. But I can see how some players aren't interested in the l33t rewards we get for properly cleaning our attics.;)

Seriously, when I came back after a few months off and discovered I "had" to sort through all that and convert stacks of Tier 8 mats for Tier 9, I immediately logged out until I could summon the will to do so for all 72 characters on four servers. But really, clearing out the mail takes about five minutes per character ... maybe ten if you take the time to re-dress your Companions at the same time.

Time spent moaning about the problem is time to be spent fixing the problem.

You sir are a scholar and a gentlemen :p

This is true, in the time it took for you to type this post, you could've been done by now with the ol' so horrible dreary of sifting and cleaning out your mailbox. #thestruggleisreal

Here's the context behind what you're seeing:

When 4.0 dropped and companion gear was made cosmetic, certain slots on certain companions were removed (gloves/headgear on Guss Tuno, for example, all slots on companions like droids or Bowdaar/Treek/etc). All of this gear was sent back to you in your inventory or mail. I'm pretty sure most companions had their pants removed as well, which I'd like to think was a game-wide prank by a devious developer, and thus those were sent to your inventory or mail as well. Finally, since some companions had unique green armor when they were first recruited that couldn't be reobtained after it was gotten rid of (Lord Scourge's armor, for example), that armor was eventually sent out to all characters so they could put their companions in their original gear if they so chose.

Your options for dealing with this: sell it all, since companions don't get benefits from gear anymore, or go through it at your leisure and keep what you like. You don't have to sort through it though. If you don't care about what your companion looks like then just sell it all. The droid parts are nice and if you had any companions in the 192 gear from Yavin that sells for a nice bit per piece as well, and since you don't care about cosmetics you don't have any reason to keep any specific piece. You can grab a cheap piece of armor off the GTN and it'll serve your purpose just as well.

And there i was happy to get Quinns starter gear back so he could wear it again for his Wrathy wife in alone time..

Wait, did I say that aloud?... :D

*giggle* I ask myself that same question all the time. I love Quinn. So much. <3