Weapon Tunings

Once again, the only cool thing in the new packs have an abysmal drop rate. Several guildies have bought hypercrates and didn't get a single one and one guy on fleet opened up 5 hypercrates and only got 1.

Bioware, if you're going to promote things like these weapons tunings, you have to actually make it so they're available to players, not people with 30+mil sitting to burn on cosmetic stuff. Please fix this.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my sweet naive summer child.

You have so much to learn.

I hate to admit it, but it's true.

Several previous packs also have ultra-rare items that you aren't guaranteed to get even if you buy a hypercrate. It's a shame, because I imagine they would sell more hypercrates if spending $40+ would guarantee one of the super cool items.

I agree. In part.

I actually have no problem with a low drop rate on the item. However, they went and promoted it as some great new feature. Anything like that should be widely accessible.

If the drop rate is going to be low, just casually mention this new thing in the patch notes.

Of course BW does seem to be terrible at knowing what and how to promote with this game.

Oh my sweet naive summer child.

You have so much to learn.

I've been playing this game since Launch, I know how ****** they operate. But the weapon tunings are on a whole new level. Promoting it here on the website with a developer blog and they had a Q&A post while promoting it on social media? Sorry, but that's a whole new low. Something cosmetic like this shouldn't end up selling for 30 mil+ on the gtn because of a terrible drop rate in the packs.

The cartel market is the cash cow for Bio. People scream and yell "boycott" because the drop rate is so pathetic ....and then buy one or more hypercrates. What possible motivation do they have to change anything?

Sadly it is working as intended.

I agree. In part.

I actually have no problem with a low drop rate on the item. However, they went and promoted it as some great new feature. Anything like that should be widely accessible.

If the drop rate is going to be low, just casually mention this new thing in the patch notes.

Of course BW does seem to be terrible at knowing what and how to promote with this game.

Exactly. If they hadn't promoted like they did, I wouldn't have cared if it had a low drop rate like this. But to promote it the way they did, it's kind of bullshït.

I've been playing this game since Launch, I know how ****** they operate. But the weapon tunings are on a whole new level. Promoting it here on the website with a developer blog and they had a Q&A post while promoting it on social media? Sorry, but that's a whole new low. Something cosmetic like this shouldn't end up selling for 30 mil+ on the gtn because of a terrible drop rate in the packs.

This isn't much different than the Unstable Arbiter's Sabers. Well pushed on all their media & drop rates were atrocious.

The only reason this had a bit more is because in the future, you will be able to make them, etc...

The cartel market is the cash cow for Bio. People scream and yell "boycott" because the drop rate is so pathetic ....and then buy one or more hypercrates. What possible motivation do they have to change anything?

Sadly it is working as intended.

This is the first time I've bought cartel packs in over a year. I usually just wait until the market on new items settles down on the GTN and pick up what I want. This time I thought I'd try to get ahead of the curve and try to get it in packs. Learned the hard way to never trust BW to do something reasonable.

lol, Unstable lightsaber all over again :D

This is the first time I've bought cartel packs in over a year. I usually just wait until the market on new items settles down on the GTN and pick up what I want. This time I thought I'd try to get ahead of the curve and try to get it in packs. Learned the hard way to never trust BW to do something reasonable.

Yep, I learned a lesson a month ago when I purchased a hypercrate for 12 mill off the GTN, My *first* ever hypercrate, I got all excited "30 packs, oh man I'm bound to get something cool, right?!?" WRONG, pure junk, all 30 packs.. I got ONE mount that I liked, that was it! Everything else was junk that I sold on the gtn and I barely made 4 mill off the crap I sold.

4/3/2016 NEVAR FORGET

Edited by DenariusJay

Exactly. If they hadn't promoted like they did, I wouldn't have cared if it had a low drop rate like this. But to promote it the way they did, it's kind of bullshït.

No offense, but companies in general want to promote anything that will bring in money. That may be new content to get subscribers or new cosmetic items that will bring money in for the cash shop. It's not the first cosmetic item to be advertised on their social media and it had a dev blog because it's brand new functionality. I'm sure after they get some money from it, a less cool weapon tuning will come along in game somewhere.

This isn't much different than the Unstable Arbiter's Sabers. Well pushed on all their media & drop rates were atrocious.

The only reason this had a bit more is because in the future, you will be able to make them, etc...

The biggest difference between the arbiters and the tunings is the way they were promoted. Arbiters were promoted as rare cartel items, the tunings were promoted as a new way to customzie your characters. If they were going to have an abysmally low drop rate, they should have promoted them as rare items instead of this cool new feature for people.

I agree. In part.

It's not about being terrible at knowing what to do. They are fully aware of what they are doing, announcing the item having a stupidly low drop rate is casually shooting themselves in the foot - thats why fools are still falling for this kind of trickery.

The biggest difference between the arbiters and the tunings is the way they were promoted. Arbiters were promoted as rare cartel items, the tunings were promoted as a new way to customzie your characters. If they were going to have an abysmally low drop rate, they should have promoted them as rare items instead of this cool new feature for people.

So you're mad because of your own misbegotten expectations? :rolleyes:

Please tell me where exactly in this social media campaign they said weapon tuning would be at all common.

I'm not surprised that the first one is really rare. >.<

But they did say that additional weapon tunings will be available in the future, and I'd expect that some of them will be more easily obtainable. Sorta like how shiny new popular mounts are usually gold and really rare/pricey, but eventually more variations are released, often with a lower rarity. Well, I will cross my fingers that this is the case here too!

Patience.

They have already stated that more tunings are coming, and from differing sources in game.

Just because the very first one comes as a super rare in a new pack is no reason to melt down about it.

Trust me.. just like Walker Mounts, and jetpacks.. these will start out super rare and expensive, and later on there will be many sources and much lower cost to acquire.

The more important thing in the long run is seeing many many modable weapons indeed have the tuning slot in them.

Edited by Andryah

Tunings and Arbiter Sabers are exactly the same in this context because of one fundamental fact: The drop rate was always going to be too low (and the GTN price too high) for someone. Unless every pack included a Tuning, someone was going to make this thread. Everything else is subjective ... what each of us considers a "proper" drop rate.

I have no complaints with how Tunings were promoted. From what I can tell, the promotional information was accurate. Absent a legal duty to disclose (which is not present here), it's not a lie to remain silent on something (e.g., drop rates). The art of advertising includes allowing the customer to fill in the missing spaces with their own expectations. What the OP describes is not deplorable tactics by EA/BW ... it's buyer's remorse.

So you're mad because of your own misbegotten expectations? :rolleyes:

Please tell me where exactly in this social media campaign they said weapon tuning would be at all common.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20160420

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8906817#edit8906817

Please tell me why BW would go to the trouble of all of this, if they weren't going to be common.

If you're ok with the drop rate, then move on and enjoy the game.

That's disappointing to hear. This isn't just some random item like the Kylo Ren saber. They changed a bunch of weapons in game to add a whole new slot, right? I took that to mean that this is a new game feature, like dyes. Weapon tunings should work just like dyes then - they should be plentiful, with the special few types being ultra rare. Everyone gets to try one, while the super wealthy get to show off their rares.

That's disappointing to hear. This isn't just some random item like the Kylo Ren saber. They changed a bunch of weapons in game to add a whole new slot, right? I took that to mean that this is a new game feature, like dyes. Weapon tunings should work just like dyes then - they should be plentiful, with the special few types being ultra rare. Everyone gets to try one, while the super wealthy get to show off their rares.

Exactly. Unfortunately people have become accustomed to BW screwing them over with the arbiters saber that they're just rolling over on this. Couldn't imagine how people would have responded if they had made dye modules ultra rare at the beginning.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20160420

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8906817#edit8906817

Please tell me why BW would go to the trouble of all of this, if they weren't going to be common.

If you're ok with the drop rate, then move on and enjoy the game.

Because it is a brand new type of mod feature, with many weapons set for them, and numerous types and ways to get them in the future. It is NOT a one time only thing.

Fixating obsessively on the very first one is complete silly sauce. Of course the first one out the gate will be super rare. Why? Because it creates more interest and desire for more of them to come in the future.

A better gripe, IMO, would be about the fact that they don't seem to appear to have put tunings on electrostaffs, or techblades, or vibroswords. There may be some, but I have not found them yet. They really need to put a tuning slot at least on vibroswords IMO. So far I have only seen tuning slots on a handful of higher level artifact quality non-modable vibroswords.

Edited by Andryah