Central Group Ranked Server (Strawpoll)

AtlasJackal

Lets be real, we kinda need one if anyone is going to get more than 2-3 pops a night against some random guild that is new to ranked and wont queue again. Pick and be quick about it, because it wont be long till we are back to paying way to much money just to do ranked on active servers with a big population.

http://strawpoll.me/7422596

Edited by AtlasJackal

so, i think harbinger is the biggest pop atm (definitely as far as solo ranked goes) but it actually has the least pops for 4s. no one wants to queue 4s, everyone is all lukewarm about it.

if you move to harb, just queue up and dont be discouraged. you might (should) do badly at first bc the teams you're going against should have more experience than you. obviously if a ton of teams come then it will be more variety, hopefully less experienced teams vs less experienced teams. but this is swtor and the elo system is ****ed so be prepared to not have the greatest time at first. you'll learn what not to do, what works, what doesnt etc with experience.

personally i will keep my imps on harb for solo ranked and group ranked but if the community decides on another server as the de facto central group ranked server, we will move our ranked team/guild over to that server on pub side. ideally that server would have a big population and solo pops. only server that ive seen pop consistently pub side for solos is ebon hawk but ive heard even less about 4s there than even a smaller server like begeren colony.

either way tho, main concern of this thread is 4s. imp or pub doesnt matter. if JC has the most teams willing to queue up and everyone wants to move there, that's where'd id go. if its ebon hawk, shadowlands, etc. i'd go there too.

thing is we all really need to decide this time. last time it was shadowlands and everyone just moved right off bc connection issues, this or that, etc. the cheap transfers made it possible to just change your mind really easily. hopefully this time, that won't be the case.

we need to pick one server, decide on it and all move there and just treat it like its a one way move.

group ranked is dead and if you really are interested in reviving it, we have just this week to pick the server where it will all go down. please let your friends know etc, give opinions about why you think a particular server would work; your experience of group ranked on particular servers. anything that would help the community decide, please.

Edited by colmiak

so, i think harbinger is the biggest pop atm (definitely as far as solo ranked goes) but it actually has the least pops for 4s. no one wants to queue 4s, everyone is all lukewarm about it.

if you move to harb, just queue up and dont be discouraged. you might (should) do badly at first bc the teams you're going against should have more experience than you. obviously if a ton of teams come then it will be more variety, hopefully less experienced teams vs less experienced teams. but this is swtor and the elo system is ****ed so be prepared to not have the greatest time at first. you'll learn what not to do, what works, what doesnt etc with experience.

personally i will keep my imps on harb for solo ranked and group ranked but if the community decides on another server as the de facto central group ranked server, we will move our ranked team/guild over to that server on pub side. ideally that server would have a big population and solo pops. only server that ive seen pop consistently pub side for solos is ebon hawk but ive heard even less about 4s there than even a smaller server like begeren colony.

either way tho, main concern of this thread is 4s. imp or pub doesnt matter. if JC has the most teams willing to queue up and everyone wants to move there, that's where'd id go. if its ebon hawk, shadowlands, etc. i'd go there too.

thing is we all really need to decide this time. last time it was shadowlands and everyone just moved right off bc connection issues, this or that, etc. the cheap transfers made it possible to just change your mind really easily. hopefully this time, that won't be the case.

we need to pick one server, decide on it and all move there and just treat it like its a one way move.

group ranked is dead and if you really are interested in reviving it, we have just this week to pick the server where it will all go down. please let your friends know etc, give opinions about why you think a particular server would work; your experience of group ranked on particular servers. anything that would help the community decide, please.

I was going to make a thread about this very thing the moment I heard the transfers are going up. Harbinger is a no go for alot of east coasters because of the ping. As of right now i've played on every single US server and the most ranked I have seen outside of Harbinger is Jedi Covenant. The community is fairly laid back and not the massive epeen nonsense you tend to find with PvP. If I was going to vote any server to transfer to, to do ranked, it would be JC, solo and 4s. I went to SL last time there was this big merge and played there for a year, but nobody stuck with it, the majority of the POT5 people that came over left for harbinger or stopped playing entirely. JC has a higher pvp scene than SL does atm, and the last 3 months JC has tied SL in population on Torstatus.net.

If you can't play on Harb due to 100+ pings and spikes like me, and alot of people. I am going to say make JC the dedicated PvP server.

Anywhere east coast. Gotta get my toons of Harb before the transfer cost increase. The lag is killing me.

Jedi Covenant is a popular choice so far - I'd go there (I picked Shadowlands but idc).

Edited by DsevenO

People should just move pubs to TEH and imps to harb, this way people who can only play on a west coast server will have harb, east coast players will have TEH, and people who can play on both will have options.

It would also be nice because then we will have a server for people who enjoy pubs and another for people who enjoy imps.

Eh. What ends up happening is that people would rather be big fish in the small pond rather than small fish in the big one. I mean, that's what happened on sl when cheap transfers came up. I'm just going to stay on sl personally because whatever the community decides is temporary. Edited by Jake_Chambers

Eh. What ends up happening is that people would rather be big fish in the small pond rather than small fish in the big one. I mean, that's what happened on sl when cheap transfers came up. I'm just going to stay on sl personally because whatever the community decides is temporary.

That would be true if the xfer costs weren't going back up to 1000cc. Any moves made in the next week or so will likely be more permanent.

People should just move pubs to TEH and imps to harb, this way people who can only play on a west coast server will have harb, east coast players will have TEH, and people who can play on both will have options.

It would also be nice because then we will have a server for people who enjoy pubs and another for people who enjoy imps.

while i mostly agree with this, it doesnt work out for east coast imp players

if ebon hawk actually had a 4s scene it would be nice but i've yet to see much group ranked there

i think jc is the most popular atm but doubt anyone from ebon hawk will move to jc. tho idk if thats a big deal since i dont see many ppl on eb doing 4s anyway

edit: who the **** voted for the bastion

Edited by colmiak

while i mostly agree with this, it doesnt work out for east coast imp players

if ebon hawk actually had a 4s scene it would be nice but i've yet to see much group ranked there

i think jc is the most popular atm but doubt anyone from ebon hawk will move to jc. tho idk if thats a big deal since i dont see many ppl on eb doing 4s anyway

edit: who the **** voted for the bastion

Lol I saw that. I was like *** must be a troll. Also I agree. The EH players are a diff breed of PvPers. From what i've seen, i'm speaking generally, of course there are exceptions to this. Most people on EH are only playing Jedi. They don't make imp toons when they are bored, they just stop PvPing. The rest of us Roll republic when we are bored with Imps. I don't know why this is. I think if EH PvPers REALLY wanted competition they would transfer to JC and go up vs Imps. From my experience there, there was no 4s, just solos and only a few PvP guilds that actually played PvP instead of a hybrid RP, PvE stuff. It has a larger population but its NOT a larger PVP population. Most of that server is PvE.

Lol I saw that. I was like *** must be a troll. Also I agree. The EH players are a diff breed of PvPers. From what i've seen, i'm speaking generally, of course there are exceptions to this. Most people on EH are only playing Jedi. They don't make imp toons when they are bored, they just stop PvPing. The rest of us Roll republic when we are bored with Imps. I don't know why this is. I think if EH PvPers REALLY wanted competition they would transfer to JC and go up vs Imps. From my experience there, there was no 4s, just solos and only a few PvP guilds that actually played PvP instead of a hybrid RP, PvE stuff. It has a larger population but its NOT a larger PVP population. Most of that server is PvE.

Couldn't the same be said of JC pvpers, why don't they transfer to TEH or Harb?

Solo queue on JC is basically praying that your'e not matched up against 3-4 people in voice from the small pvp community on the server (synchro, LD50, etc).

To pretend that either server has a large amount of highly skilled pvpers is just asinine..

In reference to 4s, Etern/Deci/Mace/Barbie have characters on both servers, and one of the ... what... 4 possible teams is actually from Shadowloands, so that leaves `2 groups that are actually hold outs for JC - LD50 and Syncrho (who had characters on TEH a month ago, not sure about now).

Edited by CommunityDroidEU
calling out part removed

Couldn't the same be said of JC pvpers, why don't they transfer to TEH or Harb?

Solo queue on JC is basically praying that your'e not matched up against 3-4 people in voice from the small pvp community on the server (synchro, LD50, etc).

To pretend that either server has a large amount of highly skilled pvpers is just asinine..

In reference to 4s, Etern/Deci/Mace/Barbie have characters on both servers, and one of the ... what... 4 possible teams is actually from Shadowloands, so that leaves `2 groups that are actually hold outs for JC - LD50 and Syncrho (who had characters on TEH a month ago, not sure about now).

Most of us can't transfer to Harb due to our ping. If it came down to everyone voting on EH as a main server I would be happy to join and merge. JC has alot more people queuing than just those three guilds. Being that i'm in Synchro, only 3-4 of us are actually in the guild that are active. LD fifty has a small amount as well. There are a ton of new transfers that queue solos as well. And there are 2-3 random 4s that try to get unguilded players to group together every other night. DEATH has a few players who do ranked but most of that guild is Reg. The point being, there is competition on JC. Also none of us have ever ran voice in solo's in Synchro.

Edited by CommunityDroidEU
calling out part removed

As an Aussie player it makes me cringe every time a west or east coast player complains about their 50-100 ping on the other coast. Try playing with 200-250 ping, then you can talk.

I hear ya. But thats what makes our arguments important. Ping plays a major factor in performance. I know a few Aussies and its rough on them. This whole argument "Just transfer to Harb" is BS. I've played on harb. East coast I get a 30ms ping. Harb I get 110. Its noticeable in every way. Thats why we need a server for people to flock to instead of just saying "Move to harb". Which is flooded with over population and issues as it is.

As an Aussie player it makes me cringe every time a west or east coast player complains about their 50-100 ping on the other coast. Try playing with 200-250 ping, then you can talk.

I am East Coast player and get between 80-120ms on Harb, the only time it's not playable is when there are lag spikes or Harb is *********** up and giving me false GCDS (I do not get this on any other server).

One thing to think about is that you've become accustomed to that ping whereas an East Coast NA player is accustomed to 20-30ms, suddenly jumping to 80-140ms throws you off.

I have a friend who played on Harb from EU, he eventually stopped playing on NA servers and started playing on TOFN, a few months later he tried to play on Harb again and because he had become accustomed to a low double digit ping he found it unbearable to play on Harb again despite the fact that he had played on the server for over three years.

The ping difference is barely noticeable with 100. With 200 it's slightly more noticeable and even then it has a minimal effect on your performance. Ping is only really an issue when it's 300 or above, i.e. 2 bar connection. Take this from someone who had 3 ping on the Aussie servers, 200-250 west coast and closer to 300 on east coast.

The ping difference is barely noticeable with 100. With 200 it's slightly more noticeable and even then it has a minimal effect on your performance. Ping is only really an issue when it's 300 or above, i.e. 2 bar connection. Take this from someone who had 3 ping on the Aussie servers, 200-250 west coast and closer to 300 on east coast.

It is an issue if youre accustomed to playing at 30-40 range like most east coast players. Jumping to over 100 is noticeable for sure. Harb has bad latency, not just ping, but packet drops, all sorts of issues. This has been known for years. Especially as a melee. Getting zaps off, or Mauls, or stuns, or popping evasion all of that comes into play major. The only work around it is to set your button press to 1 second to attempt to make up for it. But if i'm dueling someone at 120 ping and they are playing with 30ms its a huge disadvantage. You have to predict what your opponent is going to cast to attempt to try and roll out of it, or whatever class you are playing. If you're used to the ping like the Aussies are I can see your argument. But until you play with a 50ms ping or lower then you don't know what you're missing. Which is a good thing. Can you be effective at 120+? Yes. Is it optimal, absolutely not.

before ranked season started, the vast majority of PVP was imp side. there was one large imp guild. most of them, I'm told, are playing yolo on their pub toons. the pub side has more smaller pvp guilds. I was actually shocked by this occurrence. the first two days of yolo, pub side was aids. ever since then, it's been all pub from ~5pm to 2am.

JC imp side is similar for yolo. the difference is EH is the only place I've found consistent pub pops. JC is one of 4 or 5 servers I've been able to get consistent imp pops.

1. Cross server rated (continental)

Take a virtual server and copy there all rated teams/players in queue when they get an invite.

2. 8vs8 rated

It was the best rated ever and much more funny as all the stupid 4vs4 sudden death arena.

But Bioware doesn't get it.

Edited by Opaknack