Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Cunning gear with shield rating?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Smuggler
Cunning gear with shield rating?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

brandhund
12.26.2011 , 12:59 PM | #1
I'm encountering a chunk of cunning statted gear that also has shield rating around level 40-ish content. I'm at a loss. I don't think there's a cunning tank out there. None that I'm aware of, at least. Defense rating I can at least...sort of understand. But shield rating? You actually need shields to use that.

Any insight, fellow smugglers?

SkyAid
02.16.2012 , 01:02 PM | #2
I am deeply puzzled about this. I am pre-crafting implants on my Sage biochemist to gear my Smuggler alt and most of my RE's give purple implants with shield rating.

I would really, really like to know - is there a smuggler spec that can actually use shield rating ??
Orin Skyaid Hydian Way
CE

dannomite
02.16.2012 , 01:04 PM | #3
Pretty sure it's lazy itemization on the programmers' part (akin to the old shields with shadow damage in WoW)

Would be cool if shield/absorb affected your 1 min cd though if for nothing else but amusing gimmicky gearings.
"My name isn't slick. It's Zoidberg... John <explicit> Zoidberg."
Ginyuu 50 Scoundrel - The Fatman
Kramden 50 Guardian - The Fatman

Drewhat
02.16.2012 , 02:18 PM | #4
does shield rating not affect what hits during crouch, or what the defense screen does?

MithrilSoul
02.16.2012 , 03:38 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Drewhat View Post
does shield rating not affect what hits during crouch, or what the defense screen does?
In order to shield anything, you need to have a shield generator equipped in your offhand slot. Smugglers cannot equip shield generators. I am not aware of any medium-armor-wearing companion, for any class, that is able to equip shield generators either.
Varwe, lvl 50 Mirialan Jedi Shadow tank
Chief Officer, Ring of Destiny
recruiting mature, semi-casual players of all classes on Jedi Covenant server
Honor ~ Loyalty ~ Respect

GeorgZoeller
02.16.2012 , 06:24 PM | #6 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
There's some companions that may benefit from these items, but they're certainly not optimal for you personally.

MithrilSoul
02.17.2012 , 03:30 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
There's some companions that may benefit from these items, but they're certainly not optimal for you personally.
Um...not on Republic Side, at least.

Remember this was a Medium Armor piece, Cunning-based, with Shield Rating. Now let's look at all the companions:

Spoiler

And I just looked over the list of Imperial classes and their companions, none of those are medium armor, cunning, shield-using folks either.

So I don't see how there are any companions that truly benefit from an item with this particular itemization. Sure there are plenty of medium armor, cunning-based companions...it's just that not a single one of them needs shielding. And there are plenty of heavy armor wearing, shield generator equipping companions...but every single one of them is Aim-based, not Cunning-based.

Unless I'm missing something, or all the fansite info on one of these companions is incorrect.
Varwe, lvl 50 Mirialan Jedi Shadow tank
Chief Officer, Ring of Destiny
recruiting mature, semi-casual players of all classes on Jedi Covenant server
Honor ~ Loyalty ~ Respect

Doki
02.17.2012 , 04:00 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by MithrilSoul View Post
Um...not on Republic Side, at least.

Remember this was a Medium Armor piece, Cunning-based, with Shield Rating. Now let's look at all the companions:

Spoiler

And I just looked over the list of Imperial classes and their companions, none of those are medium armor, cunning, shield-using folks either.

So I don't see how there are any companions that truly benefit from an item with this particular itemization. Sure there are plenty of medium armor, cunning-based companions...it's just that not a single one of them needs shielding. And there are plenty of heavy armor wearing, shield generator equipping companions...but every single one of them is Aim-based, not Cunning-based.

Unless I'm missing something, or all the fansite info on one of these companions is incorrect.
I did the same check because this claim looked fishy to me, and I came up with the same results.

Side note 1: You TECHNICALLY can stack you medium armor, cunning gear on a Heavy Armor, Aim Shield Generator character, and you can TECHNICALLY get a benefit out of it, but that like my Ops stacking light armor Willpower gear and saying the character gets stats benefits. So, what Georg said was TECHNICALLY correct. Still not a good idea.

Side note 2: Its possible a future companion (HK-51?) may use a shield generator and cunning as a stat, so I'll give Georg the benefit of the doubt on this one...

Side note 3: Of all the posts to comment on in the Ops/Scoundrel boards, and all their pressing issues, this is the one that gets attention? Oy.
Quote:
As for Scoundrels having no tools for short burst healing, we donít agree with that assessment. A scoundrel, for example, is capable of producing rather significant burst healing output by using Upper Hand gained from Underworld Medicine or Kolto Injection to trigger an instant Emergency Medpack or Surgical probe when needed.

Rhinzual
02.17.2012 , 05:58 PM | #9
So hey, a thread that linked to this got closed, even though the entire idea of medium armor cunning with shield rating is worthless. I'm talking fake **** on a zombie worthless.

dizzyMongoose
02.17.2012 , 06:44 PM | #10
Spoiler