Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Slicing Nerf & Future Game Design

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Slicing Nerf & Future Game Design

Androvis
12.26.2011 , 12:00 PM | #1
Greetings Fellow Forum Goers-

I have started this thread because I am greatly concerned over how quickly Bioware/Mythic/EA hot-nerfed about due to excessive QQ on twitter and the forums.

For the moment, let's completely ignore whether or not slicing was imbalanced. I do not think it was, others will disagree. I want to focus our discussion on whether or not the response was appropriate given the amount of time spent at launch.

My reason for starting this discussion is that I am greatly concerned about future development plans and patch cycles given that with the game being released less than a week, Bioware opted to drastically change the RNG for one skill profession based on complaint volume.

Discuss.
1) Level Slicing to 400
2) ???
3) No more Profit!

BaronIveagh
12.26.2011 , 12:12 PM | #2
I have not heard anything official that any such nerf exists, but if it does, then, yes, that is a bit disturbing.
Non Nobis Domine Non Nobis Sed Nomine Tua Da Na Glorium

Dasri
12.26.2011 , 12:14 PM | #3
I'm ambivalent about slicing, but I'd question making statements like yours and presenting them as fact. Could they have caved to all the whining? Yeah. Could it also have been that people play a release client a great deal differently than beta? That they got numbers back that were not in line with their overall goals? These are possible as well.

I know of no person that created an army of alts just to run slicing missions in the beta, but I know of a few that have in release. Money was worthless when the delete button was hovering overhead at all times.

Could be that it has nothing to do with the money at all, and they just want to encourage people to take up the other crafts. If they see that a high percentage of people are taking slicing over anything else then it's also in the interests of the game to change it.

I suppose my point is that we don't know why, and a week after launch means they have live server information to base the decisions on. They didn't have that before launch.

injury
12.26.2011 , 12:14 PM | #4
I for one am happy to see a company not be afraid to make live changes so rapidly.

Always disliked the way other companies did with test servers. Change sits on test for months usually, the companies then push it out to live, and it's still buggy. In that time economy, balance whatever is screwed more and more on the live servers. I always felt it should be tested to make sure it doesn't crash clients/servers etc then just put it on live where the real balance is.

Remember as fast as they changed it they can change it back if they feel the need.

Hajizan
12.26.2011 , 12:16 PM | #5
The only people crying nerf slicing are the people who made a lot of credits and now want it nerfed so others cannot.

thebreau
12.26.2011 , 12:18 PM | #6
Something have definitly changed with slicing. I've noticed a dramatic change in the amout of credits im getting from lockboxes. Currently level 385.

Anybody else notice this???

Thawm

Androvis
12.26.2011 , 12:22 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronIveagh View Post
I have not heard anything official that any such nerf exists, but if it does, then, yes, that is a bit disturbing.
There was a twitter feed confirming that the issue with slicing "had been taken care of". Someone with more time on their hands can dig it up. They definitely reduced the number of Rich and Bountiful class 4 and 5 yields.
1) Level Slicing to 400
2) ???
3) No more Profit!

KurganNazzir
12.26.2011 , 12:22 PM | #8
I'm confused, what nerf? I heard they lowered the numbers from beta but that's what beta is, testing and balancing, etc. If that's what this is about, it's not a nerf, it's normal....and people are still making a nice amount of money doing slicing so there's nothing to complain about. If this is about something else, please enlighten us.
Dark Eclipse
GAF

MMOWarrior
12.26.2011 , 12:25 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Androvis View Post

For the moment, let's completely ignore whether or not slicing was imbalanced. I do not think it was, others will disagree. I want to focus our discussion on whether or not the response was appropriate given the amount of time spent at launch.
This thread is ridicules before it even begins..

you can't talk about effect without talking about cause..

SithFuseitana
12.26.2011 , 12:35 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by thebreau View Post
Something have definitly changed with slicing. I've noticed a dramatic change in the amout of credits im getting from lockboxes. Currently level 385.

Anybody else notice this???

Thawm
Yes, I've noticed this. And if the real purpose of Slicing is to discover blue & above schematics (as I've read) then they've failed, because I'm not receiving schematics and the lockboxes now very frequently return less than the mission cost and quite often result in failure.

I'm disappointed that they reacted so quickly to a situation that wouldn't last i.e. an alt army running slicing missions. If there were players doing that they wouldn't continue the practice as the game progressed, it's too much trouble for what it's worth.