Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Player Review: Now That "The Shiny" has Worn Off

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Player Review: Now That "The Shiny" has Worn Off

Anelitt
12.26.2011 , 12:41 PM | #21
So much hate from people liking something another person does not like.

I actually thought he made an effort to put out a well thought out post, but alas that doesn't matter, the defense army is immidiately there to stomp any form of non positive feedback to this game.

Bobinator
12.26.2011 , 12:42 PM | #22
-The graphics were no doubt simplified-

Yea...sure was simplified...why the requirements were a quad core CPU, some kinda GTS card and windows 7.
As of right now, i'm rash free.

JoxerNL
12.26.2011 , 12:43 PM | #23
I doubt 90% of the whinigng little gnats were even around @ wow's launch
My god was that bad, MC wassn't available and was created rather fast after the outcry for no endgame content, and hey anyone remember the memory leaks in the first 4 months of BWL lol!

Elyons
12.26.2011 , 12:43 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Proto View Post
My experience in this game has been a level 40 something imperial agent and just a myriad of other lower level everything (and 4 months in beta). Okay, first thing we see in the game (and this is a major blah for me) - The Character Creation. It is absolutely dreadful. Obviously its not on the level of suckiness that you see in your average F 2 P Korean Grindfest, but not by alot, especially if you've played any Bioware game in the past. There are only 4 body types for men, and they are each varying degrees of awful to meh. Theres Shape 1, which is Justin Beiber (and what is used for "kids") Shape 2 which is your average Bruce Lee build, theres Shape 3 which is Big Mc Large Huge and Shape 4 which is Lord Lard ***. Shape 4 is absolutely awful, and for Sith Warriors, is the shape of your Master, which, if you look at his Wiki, is not how he should look at all. It makes no sense.

The races are...well...everything is just "Human-like". Obviously this was done for cutscenes and voices (No wookie would talk like your character) but there are still races like Togruta or Nautolan that would be fine but are not in. Chiss are pretty sweet however. There is no long hair, at best you have hair that goes down to your chin. I guess this is because it would be too graphics intensive? Complexions and Scars aren't so bad, shame you can't stack them. And yes, no sliders still, you choose predetermined faces. For a game where you spend alot of time looking at your character in cutscenes, the amount of corner cutting in CC is disappointing. It should have been one of the top five priorities. The number of unique models in this game, NPC wise is also staggeringly low.

The graphics were no doubt simplified to accommodate as many systems as possible, like World of Warcraft, I understand that. But if that is the case, why does the game, for me and so many others run like absolute crap? I understand its an MMO but this is just inexcusable

Okay, gameplay. Know World of Warcraft? Good news! You already know how to play 85% of the game! Played KOTOR only? Bad news! Theres basically nothing from KOTOR in this that warrants mention. Its your standard MMO affair. Tanks, Heals, DPS, Burst Damage, DOT, Taunts, Rotations, ETC. If you're used to MMOs then you're in luck. It does that pretty well, although tanking as my Jedi Guardian has been a fittingly in character practice in patience. You dont get your first taunt until 15, and it has a long cool down. Your robot companion tanks better than you. The gameplay is the same tired WoW gameplay but with a combat delay which makes it worse, and the game suffers big time for it.

The missions are the biggest flaw in this game. Every quest is a variation of "Go here, kill stuff along the way for bonus maybe, kill boss or interact with object" or "Collect 5 blah blah blah" with varying degrees of logic in their drops,. All the flavor in the world, which does help a little, doesn't change the fact that is every quest. But maybe that is nit picking. Your choices in quests rarely matter as well. Story is this game's real saving grace, and why it goes from "Mediocre MMO" to "has potential." Imperial Agent's story was a freaking blast, but after you finish all the storylines, if you even do that... what next? Endgame in this game is pretty much non-existent. One or two mediocre raids... And yes, Bioware continues the proud tradition of Dark Side = Stupid Evil Jerk. I was hoping DS Jedi Knight would mean "Emotional and prideful" but nope, just "AHAHA LOOK HOW EVIL I AM FOR NO REASON".

Another issue is every faction goes through the same planet order. Your Bounty Hunter and Sith Warrior's planets after the first one will be the exact same experience as will the quests - save for your personal class quests. This will make replay value for someone like me who can't stand doing the same thing again very difficult. Also this makes the whole "KOTOR 3-11" claim a total farce. Class storylines are only 20% of the game. Everyone shares about 80% and one of the best features I would list was removed.. Your armor could be matched to the color of whatever your chest piece was, avoiding clown armor. They removed that...

All in all ,the story of this game is pretty good and had me hooked for the first 2 weeks. Sadly, the gameplay made it where it was a chore. I was FORCING MYSELF THROUGH GAMEPLAY for the story. That's unacceptable for an MMO where gameplay should always be important. Maybe this game will improve in the future but for now, this game is just another WoW clone, in space, with kinda cool cut scenes, and with a lot less real content.

The painful UI issues...
Cant search the AH, bad UI with no customization, search filtering doesn't work on menus, no dual spec, and respec is EXPENSIVE. There are just so many features you should expect missing. It attempts to be like WoW, without the things that made WoW popular. It just has neat storylines. But that is all it brings to the table and I'm terribly upset that the reply value and long-term hook does not seem to be in place at all. This means 30 to 60 days and a lot will lose interest.

I understand that many will not like this review but you need to look at this without being subjective. I'm saying that for $100,000,000+ dollars that has been spent on this game it does not come close to the graphics of AOC, the gameplay of WOW, the UI of RIFT, the customization of WOWs UI, the innovation of EVE, the PVP of Shadowbane or DAOC, and the story of LOTRO.

Wow = 7 years of post launch development

SWTOR = 2 week post launch development.

I find you expectancy of any MMO to just come out to have as much, and or, more content then another MMO that has been out for the past 7 years to be ridonkulous

/Thread
Kaserai:Jedi Sentinel Mahddi:Smuggler Scoundrel
Begeran Colony

Ishikur
12.26.2011 , 12:43 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Hordaur View Post
I will say the graphics in this game are 150% better than AoC. AoC was a piece of s*** game.
Must be a troll or just using an atari. AOC graphics are amazing still......

Chomag
12.26.2011 , 12:47 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Elyons View Post

I find you expectancy of any MMO to just come out to have as much, and or, more content then another MMO that has been out for the past 7 years.

/Thread
Yeah, me as a gamer am supposed to put up with a sub par game just because it wasn't out as long as other games.

I do this because somehow I owe it to BW for some unknown reason, and I will sub to this sub-par game and not another even if I find the devs of that other game did a better job, because BW is my dad and I owe it to him to have patience.

Get real! This is a product in a capitalist market. Failure is not an option and no player (at least no sane player that is) will give credit to a game for long just because it's new or some crap.
Hard mode: Play Republic
Nightmare mode: Play Republic on a pvp server
Are you man enough for the challenge ? Aunt Satele wants YOU.
Republic. No kids allowed.

Anelitt
12.26.2011 , 12:49 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
Yeah, me as a gamer am supposed to put up with a sub par game just because it wasn't out as long as other games.

I do this because somehow I owe it to BW for some unknown reason, and I will sub to this sub-par game and not another even if I find the devs of that other game did a better job, because BW is my dad and I owe it to him to have patience.

Get real! This is a product in a capitalist market. Failure is not an option and no player (at least no sane player that is) will give credit to a game for long just because it's new or some crap.
Bioware: "Chomag......I am your father!"

tNok
12.26.2011 , 12:55 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Elyons View Post

I find you expectancy of any MMO to just come out to have as much, and or, more content then another MMO that has been out for the past 7 years to be ridonkulous

/Thread
I'm enjoying the game myself, but let's be serious here - this argument is ridiculously flawed. Each industry builds on the successes (and failures) of their competition, even when breaking into new markets. There is a difference between polish (which TOR seems to have) and features we've come to expect as 'standard'.

Let's make it a car analogy. There's no way I could start a company, build a car that's roughly on par in features and quality with the 1986 Hyundai Excel - Hyundai's entry into the US market - and charge the same as say, a 2012 Ford Focus. I mean, I guess you'd be happy to buy it? If so, I have a 1986 Hyundai Excel - err, I mean a 2012 tNok Superba - to sell for you for $16,000.

Keep in mind 25 years is 25% of the time cars have been available to the general public, vs. WoW's 7 years - roughly 50% of the time MMOs have been available to the general public.

Aradain
12.26.2011 , 12:55 PM | #29
While I actually agree with much of this, you may want to look up the definition of "subjective", unless you were intentionally being ironic .

Sylentmana
12.26.2011 , 12:58 PM | #30
I hope in future expansions they allow Togruta and those cat people to be playable.