Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Decoration Unlock System for Personal Strongholds (not just for guilds)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Strongholds
Decoration Unlock System for Personal Strongholds (not just for guilds)

Iryfindel
02.27.2016 , 06:42 AM | #1
One of the best features regarding Strongholds in the entire game is the ability to decorate Guild Strongholds (and Flagships) with items that the members of said guild have already collected, by paying an unlock fee. While this does not work for items that are crafted, looted, or in a CM Decoration pack, it is a very neat feature that allows access to a lot of expensive decorations that would otherwise be much harder to obtain due to their GTN prices.

With the continuous expansion of our personal Stronghold collection, as well as the increasing scarcity of old CM pack decorations (due to the recent overall CM pack changes), it is becoming increasingly difficult to decorate personal strongholds. This is especially true for new and casual players, who do not have the money (or time) to spend on acquiring these decorations, the prices of which are only rising. Considering the price to fully unlock each stronghold, added to the cost of fully furnishing it, decorating personal Strongholds is becoming a tedious money-grind fest, rather than a fun decorating experience.

My suggestion would be to expand the unlock system that is currently in place for Guild Strongholds and Flagships to personal strongholds. This way, all of the CM pack decorations in game will become available to more players as they are, to name one example, no longer looking at spending 1 million credits per statue of which they may want 5 (which would not be feasible), but spending that 1 million once, after which it can be unlocked x amount of times for a lowered price.

I know I would cheer at a change like this, because as it currently stands, I do not have the ability to decorate my personal Strongholds the way I would like to simply because a lot of these decorations have prices more befitting of mounts (which can be unlocked!!!).

TorturedSoul
02.27.2016 , 08:59 AM | #2
I second that notion, an excellent idea that I've mentioned on more than one occasion myself in-game.

Theeko
02.27.2016 , 10:21 AM | #3
I disagree with many others in game, already ways to obtain them and if you don't like the prices just wait it out alot have already spent way to many multiple decors to use in there personal strongholds and also the time needed to obtain them like it always has been.

If they added a way to give collections to obtain them for free basically then that defeats the whole purpose of the strongholds rarity and diversity compared to others. Also it would be a P2w idea as well of how the Prestige is setup.

Why are there so many threads about only a few wanting bait and switch ideas anyway, there's ways to obtain them still if you don't have it so what just earn it like everyone else did.

casirabit
02.27.2016 , 10:41 AM | #4
I agree with this as long as you already have the item. I know there are individuals that have the items and sometimes they think they have enough and then a new stronghold is added or like they are doing they are adding the ability to have 5 and there may be decorations a person already has that they would like to use on a new stronghold and not able to.

Sometimes this is not because they don't have the credits to buy it but due to the fact that they are not on the gtn because the pack they were in is no longer able to purchase. If not this way, then add them to the decorations window in the cartel shop and allow people to get them that way.

As far as prestige it really doesn't matter considering how some people just throw things down and don't really decorate just to get the conquest bonus. I can't tell you how many strongholds I have visited that have high prestige that have horrible looking strongholds where people I know have a lower prestige and their stronghold is actually decorated.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing. If you like redheads click my Referral link Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj

Theeko
02.27.2016 , 10:43 AM | #5
I've seen many strongholds that have decorated plenty nice and would hate to see them all devalued to something like this idea

Iryfindel
02.27.2016 , 11:24 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Theeko View Post
I've seen many strongholds that have decorated plenty nice and would hate to see them all devalued to something like this idea
I do not quite understand how those strongholds would be "devalued" if an unlock system made it into the game. By your logic, the game and its mechanics could then never change, because any change to the status quo would "devalue" the achievement of those that went before. People made this same argument to oppose a lowered price on ranked PvP gear, to oppose 224 gear dropping in HM instead of solely in NiM, to oppose the companion and streamlined leveling changes. The game changes and regardless of that, the achievements of those that were the first still remain. All those changes offer is opportunities for others to enjoy a certain piece of gameplay that, until that time, was only for the elite few.

Of course I understand that many people have put a great deal of effort into decorating their strongholds, but a change like this would not detract from that effort. As it currently stands, a lot of CM pack decoration items (note: crafted, looted or items for the special CM decoration packs are not included in the unlock system) are simply unobtainable to quite a number of players. This is due to a combination of the decorations' rarity because a lot of them are no longer available, as well as the current game price inflation. An unlock system like this would not be pay-to-win, you would still have to acquire the decoration once, as well as pay for each unlock. It would simply make subsequent copies of items a little easier to obtain and make decorating multiple strongholds a little more fun.

Theeko
02.27.2016 , 11:26 AM | #7
A change like this will resort in every stronghold being in the 200k+ prestige IE: P2w, just seems alot of people want these things for no where near the cost.

I know alot of people that have spent good time and money using nearly maxed rare decor and didn't care about reselling it but rather use it to make there stronghold more unique and worth looking at compared to others.

A system like this will just crash the idea of the personal strongholds rarity and uniqueness.

Iryfindel
02.27.2016 , 11:34 AM | #8
I can understand your concern, however, the idea that prompted this suggestion had nothing to do with the prestige system. To be quite frank I do not even care for it because, oftentimes, those strongholds with the highest prestige are not actually decorated, they are simply filled with high-prestige items. While it is everyone's own choice how they decorate their SH, my suggestion for an unlock system for personal strongholds is not based on the idea that it will be easier to obtain prestige, rather, that it will be easier to acquire some rare decorations for more than one stronghold.

If prestige is the concern, I am sure other measures could be taking against abusing the system, such as a cap on the number of unlocks available through this system, or a cap on the number of high-prestige items one can place in each stronghold. This would prevent abuse of the system for prestige reasons, while still making a wider array of decorations available for a larger number of people now the CM packs have changed so dramatically.

Theeko
02.27.2016 , 11:36 AM | #9
Well it's not just the prestige I was aiming at, but how rare the decors are as well those that have used them want them to be rare and unique compared to the others that are easy to get. They will just do whatever nets them more money in the end, so who knows what will happen

Iryfindel
02.27.2016 , 11:43 AM | #10
The rarity of some of these decorations is exactly why I propose this system. With the recent changes to the CM packs, a lot of casual or newer players will hardly ever be able to obtain more than a few of these pieces. Moreover, a lot of mainstream players will never be able to decorate with these pieces across multiple strongholds because they are becoming increasingly more rare and thus increasingly more expensive.

I understand your point of view, I simply do not share your idea that the increasing rarity of these decorations is something that should be cherished and protected. Old decoration pieces will remain rare, even with an unlock system, they will just become a little more accessible for more players, as well as for decorating across multiple strongholds.

Of course you are free to disagree with me.