Troubleshooting - Serious problem with High & above graphics

CaveJoe

So for some reason whenever I use graphics that are High or above, I will occasionally get texture tares, or characters' designs in black. No biggy, all you'd have to do is swap to any other graphics level and back. Main irritation being is that the frame rate drops significantly, to perhaps 5 or lower.

It's been dreadful on Hutta, Belsavis, not a big deal to me (pvp'r, and never affects me in warzones)

However I logged out of hutta last night and now when I started up the game today it had the same texture errors. Framerate drop again, so I simply closed the game and restarted it.

On the loading screen starting up the game it has this graphics problem, FPS to 0, and game crashes.

Going to try restarting my computer and such, any suggestions?

In case it helps, my computer is a CyberpowerPC Fangbook III HX6

Offhand, I'd suggest that, while the GPU may be capable of being set to high graphics, the cooling system in the laptop is not capable of removing the heat fast enough - a common problem with "gaming" laptops.

Make sure the cooling passages are free of dust, pet hair, etc, and that the fan (if any) is working.

It could also be a "thermal fault". A TF is a fault that occurs when components warm up (not necessarily "overheat")*. Usually it's a bad solder connection or a crack in a component, that opens up as things expand. Sometimes a thermal fault is initially caused by overheating, and then becomes permanent.

P.S. A long-term solution might be to get a fan-based cooling pad for the laptop. Also, make sure you run the laptop on a hard, flat surface - not say, resting on your bed.

Baring that, the answer may indeed be to run at medium graphics.

*Edit - more correctly, a TF happens when components change temperature. Either warming up, or cooling down.

Edited by JediQuaker