Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Galactic Starfighter Records (2.8+) v3.0

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Galactic Starfighter Records (2.8+) v3.0

Lendul
02.23.2016 , 10:23 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Danalon View Post
I don't think a "best of server" category is a good idea. For example, there are only 4 (or so) different people, who submitted records from T3-M4. Most of the T3-M4 records are by me - not because I'm the best pilot there, but because the others don't submit records. A server specific list would be pretty empty for almost all servers.

A lot of the records are accomplished by T1 Gunships and T2 Scouts simply because almost all statistics we get from the scoreboard are kill-related and those two ships are the best killers.

Some records here are pretty old and that's because a new list only gets made when there's a patch that makes a big change to balance in GSF. The last patch that made changes to GSF was 2.8 as it says in the title.
It's not necessarily a bad idea, but the individual server forums would be a better place for something like that.

caederon
02.23.2016 , 12:26 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by FlavivsAetivs View Post
Hmm... okay. I know that screenshot qualifies for the solo kills category on Strike Fighter, cause pretty much every one of those were solo kills, but I have no proof.
That's the problem in a nutshell, I actually didn't even know you intended to submit it for a Solo Kills record, and since that stat isn't shown on the screenshot, it's also ineligible. If your intent is to submit for Solo Kills (or Kill Streak, or DPS) please be sure when you take the screenshot that your mouse is hovered over the proper stat which will pop up a window showing your total (ie hovering Kills shows Solo Kills and Kill Streak; hovering Damage shows DPS). Also, to make things a bit easier on me when I'm adding these to the list, please refer back to the first post in the thread for how to format your submission... or just check out how most people here are doing it.

Is it possible you might do a best of server category?
Back in the early days of GSF, records threads were maintained on many of the individual server forums. Some enterprising pilots consolidated that into the main records thread that is the ancestor for this one. I don't have any interest in curating a dozen or so single-forum records threads, but maybe you ought to go to your server forum and post one there to recognize the pilots of JC! These days, though, many of the most active pilots have characters on most (sometimes even all) servers, which kind of makes it tougher to recognize the purely home-grown folks.

On another note, Traesha pointed out that most of these, barring the ship-specific categories, were accomplished by T1 Gunships and T2 Strikes. And a lot of these seem like they're pretty old;
I actually like seeing some of the old names on the lists, because it gives the game a sense of history. I flew against a number of them, and so it is a nice connection to GSF's past and shows that some accomplishments are tough to top. Since those records were set under the same conditions as we face in current matches, they are valid and should be recognized.

The bar is definitely set high on a lot of records, but at least for me that has always been a motivator to keep trying to do better... to hone my skills, and to keep playing for that moment when the conditions are right to put up a big performance. The reason I stepped outside my 'home server' for the first time was that I wanted to see how good the people atop the records thread really were. I set out to play with and against them so I could see how I stacked up.

The Future of GSF Records

As Nemarus pointed out in another thread, server mergers seem like a thing that may be happening at some indefinite future time. It is debatable whether that alone is enough to warrant starting fresh with a blank canvas of recordkeeping, but it could be a good time for such a refresher, and a re-evaluation of what stats are kept.

The Overall category is mostly dominated by T2 scouts and T1 gunships, as Eudoxia mentioned. Though that big bomber match by Traesha just vaulted into the picture, it's still the exception. It was suggested to me that the Overall category should be eliminated, and the records should be presented only by Ship Type. In other words, you'd have T1 scout records, T2 scout records, T3 scout records, etc. all the way down the list. There are arguments to be made for keeping an Overall set and replacing Ship Class records with Ship Type records. I'll put it up for discussion here.

There was another really interesting suggestion for a companion thread to this one... a Close Match Records thread. It would still commemorate individual pilots' success... but to qualify, your record would have to occur in a match where the final score of each team was within 10% of each other. So, Domination matches would all be in the 1000-9XX range (or in some weird outlier case less but still within 10%). Deathmatches would have to end within a few kills of each other. The intent of such a thread would be to showcase the best GSF matches, those ones we remember fondly where both sides were competing hard and the end result was up for grabs.

I'm interested in people's thoughts on all these ideas!

Despon

Lavaar
02.23.2016 , 01:12 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by caederon View Post

There was another really interesting suggestion for a companion thread to this one... a Close Match Records thread. It would still commemorate individual pilots' success... but to qualify, your record would have to occur in a match where the final score of each team was within 10% of each other. So, Domination matches would all be in the 1000-9XX range (or in some weird outlier case less but still within 10%). Deathmatches would have to end within a few kills of each other. The intent of such a thread would be to showcase the best GSF matches, those ones we remember fondly where both sides were competing hard and the end result was up for grabs.

I'm interested in people's thoughts on all these ideas!

Despon
What about a thread where we just post examples of great games that are closely matched or tied? Not necessarily record-wrothy, but I find the closest games that are being played by even teams on both sides rarely are. THIS is a great example.

SWCNT
02.23.2016 , 01:33 PM | #24
I think a close match thread is a very interesting idea where the poster could post a screenshot showing the leader board. Furthermore, if they recorded the match they could post the youtube link. That way the thread would be like an archive of really great matches, and those with videos would be entertaining to watch and informative for new players.

caederon
02.23.2016 , 02:03 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Lavaar View Post
What about a thread where we just post examples of great games that are closely matched or tied?
There actually is a thread like that, which I would link if I felt like digging it up, but in the discussion I had last night it was theorized that the thread in question eventually faded away because people lacked incentive to keep posting in it. Establishing a Close Match Records thread and attaching personal achievement to it could entice people to participate more. It could also give people a reason to fly non-meta ships in matches that would otherwise be blowouts. Any way you cut it, celebrating competitive close matches is a good thing.

Despon

FlavivsAetivs
02.23.2016 , 02:17 PM | #26
Quote:
That's the problem in a nutshell, I actually didn't even know you intended to submit it for a Solo Kills record, and since that stat isn't shown on the screenshot, it's also ineligible. If your intent is to submit for Solo Kills (or Kill Streak, or DPS) please be sure when you take the screenshot that your mouse is hovered over the proper stat which will pop up a window showing your total (ie hovering Kills shows Solo Kills and Kill Streak; hovering Damage shows DPS). Also, to make things a bit easier on me when I'm adding these to the list, please refer back to the first post in the thread for how to format your submission... or just check out how most people here are doing it.
Well I didn't know if it qualified for anything TBH.

And yeah sorry, never done this before. I'm usually the bane of every pilot on Jedi Cov, but racking up high numbers of kills is something I don't really often do (although I love doing it). I don't really go for assists either; I kill what I shoot at.

Albeit recently GSF has not been going well for me, something seems wrong with the Clarion ever since 4.1 but I can't yet put my finger on it.

Quote:
The Overall category is mostly dominated by T2 scouts and T1 gunships, as Eudoxia mentioned. Though that big bomber match by Traesha just vaulted into the picture, it's still the exception. It was suggested to me that the Overall category should be eliminated, and the records should be presented only by Ship Type. In other words, you'd have T1 scout records, T2 scout records, T3 scout records, etc. all the way down the list. There are arguments to be made for keeping an Overall set and replacing Ship Class records with Ship Type records. I'll put it up for discussion here.
I like this idea.

~ Eudoxia
A.K.A. Magister Militum Flavius Aetius
Eudoxia | Constantia Eudoxya | Euander
GSF School
Jedi Covenant

DarthMeridian
02.23.2016 , 03:42 PM | #27
Overall DM
Neutrinos'smw (Neutrinos) - Sting - Battle Meditation - 274.65 DPS
Neutrinos'smw (Neutrinos) - Sting - Battle Meditation - 27 Solo Kills

Overall DOM
Neutrinos'smw (Neutrinos) - Sting - The Red Eclipse - 231.88 DPS

Scout DM
Neutrinos'smw (Neutrinos) - Sting - Battle Meditation - 274.65 DPS
Neutrinos'smw (Neutrinos) - Sting - Battle Meditation - 27 Solo Kills

Scout DOM
Neutrinos'smw (Neutrinos) - Sting - The Red Eclipse - 231.88 DPS

Gunship DM
Neutrinos'smw (Neutrinos) - Mangler - The Red Eclipse - 45 Kills + Assists

Gunship DOM
Equinoxs'smw (Neutrinos) - Quarrel - The Red Eclipse - 211.05 DPS
Neutrinos'smw (Neutrinos) - Mangler - The Red Eclipse - 14 Solo Kills

Bomber DM
Neutrinos'smw (Neutrinos) - Legion - The Red Eclipse - 40 Kills + Assists
Neutrinos'smw (Neutrinos) - Legion - The Red Eclipse - 163.49 DPS
Neutrinos'smw (Neutrinos) - Legion - The Red Eclipse - 9 Solo Kills
Neutrínos - TRE - Equínoxs

Danalon
03.03.2016 , 06:00 PM | #28
Deathmatch Timeout Percent Kills and Assists

Rayene (Danalon) - GSS-3 Mangler - T3-M4 37/38 Kills & Assists (97,37%)

Wildtee
03.03.2016 , 06:21 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by caederon View Post
There actually is a thread like that, which I would link if I felt like digging it up, but in the discussion I had last night it was theorized that the thread in question eventually faded away because people lacked incentive to keep posting in it. Establishing a Close Match Records thread and attaching personal achievement to it could entice people to participate more. It could also give people a reason to fly non-meta ships in matches that would otherwise be blowouts. Any way you cut it, celebrating competitive close matches is a good thing.

Despon
Couldn't agree with this more. Posting screenshots of yourself owning new pilots without the experience or geared ships to counter you just seems... petty.

caederon
03.03.2016 , 07:09 PM | #30
Records are updated.

Neutrinos, thanks for keeping your barrage of entries listed in a very orderly fashion!

I'm still pondering the form the Close Match Records thread will take, but it will likely happen at some point when I have the time to establish it. Highlighting the closest matches we have and those who perform well in them seems worthy of the effort.

Despon