Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Which class???

AlchemistLocke
12.26.2011 , 10:02 AM | #1
I recently got this game and I'm wondering which class I should be...

I have considered Bounty Hunter, but I only like that because I would get to burn things (Is firebug and acceptable build for Powertech???)

I have also considered Jedi Shadow and Imperial Agent Sniper...

Help me decide....

Thank you in advance....

MikeFL
12.26.2011 , 10:27 AM | #2
What kind of playstyle would you like to play? Picking a class AND advanced class are really important because you will be putting a lot of time into it, so its good you came here to do research first.

Help us help you. What kind of playstyle do you like? What are you looking for right now in a character? Here's a quick overview (since you said Bounty Hunter and IA Sniper, I'll just list the Empire side but its the same on Republic):

1. Bounty Hunter - Powertech is a tankish style tree. You can spec in tanking or damage. Mercenary is good ranged DPS and also has a good healing spec.

2. Sith Warrior - Juggernaut is a great tanking or melee DPS spec. Marauder is purely melee DPS if I recall correctly, but gets cool perks like acrobatic fighting and two sabers.

3. Sith Inquisitor - This is a pretty balanced hybrid class. Assassin gets a dual-blade saber and specializes in melee DPS or tanking. Sorcerer is purely ranged DPS with a healing spec as well.

Imperial Agent - Operative is a rogue-ish class. One spec lets you attack and sneak undetected, while another has a healing option. Sniper is a ranged DPS spec that allows you to...snipe enemies at a distance.

This is a rough overview and there are more subtleties that I glossed over but hopefully that helps you narrow it down. Keep in mind that, for now, you can only do one spec at a time and must pay credits to respec. This is fine if you do it a few times but it can get pricey.
Praxys - 50 Sorcerer Nylost - 50 Sniper Sythion - 32 Marauder Rexxel - 25 Mercenary
Kilaeon - 32 Guardian Fordan - 25 Vanguard

AlchemistLocke
12.26.2011 , 11:17 AM | #3
I prefer healer and dps builds...

And I wasnt't really considering the Sith Warrior, It seems a little overly bulky to me...

MikeFL
12.26.2011 , 11:28 AM | #4
Okay, for healer and DPS builds you have:

Jedi Sage/Sith Sorcerer - both have ranged force abilities and you will barely/never use your lightsaber. It'll just be there to block incoming blaster fire. This playstyle lets you use ranged force abilities to do direct damage, damage over time, stun/incapacitate enemies, etc. The healing spec is obviously done with Force abilities. Apparently, the biggest challenge is effective use of heals, since these classes have low Force regen during battles.

Trooper Commando/Bounty Hunter Mercenary - ranged DPS through mostly weapons and some abilities. Also have a healing spec involving tech abilities. Management of ammo required and difficult at low levels but at higher levels are very good healers.

Smuggler Scoundrel/Imperial Agent Operative - these are more stealth/rogue classes in terms of damage. However, both also have healing specs. I'm not too sure how their healing works.
Praxys - 50 Sorcerer Nylost - 50 Sniper Sythion - 32 Marauder Rexxel - 25 Mercenary
Kilaeon - 32 Guardian Fordan - 25 Vanguard

AnonymousRobot
12.26.2011 , 11:46 AM | #5
I currently playing a lvl 25 shadow. To be honest there seems to be a lot of mixed opinions on this class.

In my opinion, I don't like this class. it's not for me. My playstyle doesn't fit and I will change classes eventually.
It kind of feels like a cross between a rogue and a shaman. (forgive me for the wow terms.)

But I feel that their melee dps or the array of quasi-ranged spells (10m range.) make up for the lack of squishiness in PvP, so I have been playing as the tank/shadow spec in PvP and it works. Part of it is definitely my playstyle just not matching how the shadow is meant to be played. Shadow's seemed to be based a lot on hit and run tactics. I kind of prefer to just run into combat and deal as much dmg as I can and die, respawn and rinse and repeat. To me it seems like it takes too much time to sprint out of combat, stealth/heal, and then re-enter combat to make it a very beneficial tactic.

Also I don't know how true this is, but it seems to me that shadow/consulars are the most played pvp class on republic side. It seems every warzone I enter has 4-6 Consulars on the team, 3/4ths of them are ussually shadow.

Don't get me wrong, you will have fun with this class and you will be able to stand toe to toe with other classes. It's just not the class for me because of playstyle and unfortunately it took me a while to figure that out

AlchemistLocke
12.26.2011 , 11:51 AM | #6
Interesting...

By any chance could there be a way for me to PvP despite a healer build???

ZakMorgan
12.26.2011 , 12:53 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by AlchemistLocke View Post
Interesting...

By any chance could there be a way for me to PvP despite a healer build???
Sounds like you want a Scoundrel/Operative.
Founder, and proud Agent since day one

AlchemistLocke
12.26.2011 , 05:45 PM | #8
I will try Healing as an Operative then...

I really was sad when I learned that a Operative is primarily melee, I like being at a range...