Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PVP Tournament

Roccobb
02.01.2016 , 08:14 PM | #1
I would really like to see a PVP tournament, maybe every quarter. In my head, how it would be is you form a team of 4 for the 4x4 matches. Once you are killed, you are out, period. No round 2. Your surviving team would then be matched with other survivors, until all teams are dead but the final 4. Then, it could either be a victory for top 4 players, or, 1v1v1v1.

I don't even think time commitment in such a tournament would be more than 2 hours, max. Even if on one server, you had 5,000 people sign up for the tournament, that is 1,250 teams, 625 fights at once. 2-3 minutes for the first fight. Even if every surviving team had all team members survive the first round, it would only be 625 remaining teams, with each subsequent round dropping quickly.

For each "round" you survive, you could be rewarded a lot of comms, valor, anything else. Top winner(s) could get a cool title, or something.

Yes, some people will QQ because they can't make the time commitment. I wouldn't be able to make it but once or twice. But I can see a lot of fun coming out of this.
Let's bring on a real PVP tournament! Check it out, comment, add your support or non support. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=868431

DreadtechSavant
02.01.2016 , 08:57 PM | #2
OK don't and never will ever PvP.
However is this not already in-game? if not what the hell is the ranked PvP, after all its was on its 6 season last I heard.

Roccobb
02.01.2016 , 09:21 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by DreadtechSavant View Post
However is this not already in-game? if not what the hell is the ranked PvP, after all its was on its 6 season last I heard.
Ranked PVP is basically who gets the most points overall in a time period. This idea is more linear, dart league like. You get one death, period.

Sort of what I think the EC sounds like. Basically, EC is you vs the computer. You die, you are out. Until we know how lockouts will work and stuff, like can you restart on the same day as you lose? I don't know. But this is the PVP answer to EC. By doing it once a month or so, it can be something huge for PVP.

And don't lock anything important behind it that PVE only will cry about. Maybe a cool looking full set of PVP armor. I don't know prizes, and I wouldn't do it for the prizes. I would do it to see if I stand a chance.
Let's bring on a real PVP tournament! Check it out, comment, add your support or non support. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=868431

Roccobb
02.01.2016 , 09:50 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by DreadtechSavant View Post
I have been trying to think of a parallel for ranked in sports, but I don't know sports very well. If I understand how Nascar works you get so many points depending on what position you place in, right? So theoretically, a driver could come in second place in every single race of the year, but still be the overall winner, even though they didn't "win" a single race. That is like ranked pvp.

Edit: Another way of thinking of it is your dating life. Do you remember your first girlfriend/boyfriend? OK, maybe not your first, but one of your early relationships. You courted them. You built up that relationship over a period of time. You took them out on dates, nervously held their hand for the first time. Nothing happened fast, you had to build up to it. That is like Ranked PVP.

Now, remember that one night stand you met at the bar? Sure, you had to spend a little cash on booze, and said a few one liners, but by the time you got to the apartment, you were ready to blow. 5 minutes later, she is out the door. That is like the tournament. It's quick, its dirty. It means nothing but a quick fix.

ALaggyGrunt
02.02.2016 , 02:34 AM | #5
I don't think the game has enough following to set something like that.

The best place to run a series of matches like that is in a stadium with a private server and a crowd.

jauvtus
02.02.2016 , 07:08 AM | #7
You know what pvp needs? 4v4v4v4 team matches
Why did the SW start with Episode IV?
Because the director Yoda was

Roccobb
02.02.2016 , 07:21 AM | #8
I'm not sure, since cursewords were used so often in the first 15 seconds of the video, I won't watch it. But, the way it was set up, yes, I believe so.

Roccobb
02.02.2016 , 07:28 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by ALaggyGrunt View Post
I don't think the game has enough following to set something like that.

The best place to run a series of matches like that is in a stadium with a private server and a crowd.
How much following do they need? If there were 100 teams instead of 625, so what? Four of my guildies unsubscribe when ranked is out of season. They subscribe a week before a season starts, then move on to something else when it's over. Doing something like this *might* be of interest to them to keep them subscribed during the off months. And not just them.

Yes, place it behind either subscription or a CM tournament token wall.

Henset
02.13.2016 , 04:31 AM | #10
We did actually hold a team tournament like this on ToFN back in 2014 i think. Basicly - on tatooine - in the somethings den there is tiny pit. The whole place is open pvp so there actually was a crowd standing on ledges and cheering for different teams, and there was a pit where teams of 4 battled - it was tdm with no respawn other than teams healer ressing if possible.

Thing was fun to watch.