Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Accuracy for PVP Overview

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Accuracy for PVP Overview

lavatsunami
01.27.2016 , 03:06 PM | #1
Hi all,

Just wanted to post some information here about accuracy and pvp, since I see the question asked a lot.

Four main types of attacks (you can see what type of attack you're using by looking at the tooltip):

Force: (shock, force lightning, force scream, etc)
Tech: (thermal detonator, corrosive dart, etc)
Ranged: (snipe, rail shot)
Melee: (ravage, vicious throw)

Two categories of above attacks:

Non special: (rapid shots, rifle shot, assault, saber strike)
Special attacks: (anything not mentioned in the line above)

Base accuracy given:

As of right now, you are given 100% accuracy (+1% with companion bonus), for all of those types of damage. Previously, this 100% did not include non special attacks. However, 100% accuracy is now given to all types of attacks, special and non special.

Four main types of defense:

Ranged: (dodge/parry ranged attacks)
Melee: (dodge/parry melee attacks)
Force: (resist force attacks)
Tech: (resist tech attacks)

Base defense given by class/spec (ranged and melee defense only):

Each class/spec is given a base defense chance. This base defense chance is for ranged and melee attacks only (excluding sith assassin tank). Force and tech resist chance for all classes/specs is 0%. (excluding sith assassin tank):

Disclaimer: These numbers do not include defense chance gained from a proc, utility point or cooldown. There are many out there and I may make another thread covering them, or an addendum.

Mercenary:

Bodyguard: 5%
Arsenal: 5%
InnovativeOrdnance: 5%

Powertech:

Shield Tech: 9%
Pyrotech: 5%
AdvancedPrototype: 8%

Operative:

Medicine: 5%
Concealment: 7%
Lethality: 5%

Sniper:

Marksman: 5%, 25% (ranged only, while in cover)
Engineering: 5%, 25% (ranged only, while in cover)
Virulence: 5%, 25% (ranged only, while in cover)

Sith Assassin:

Darkness: 16% (ranged/melee), 2% (force/tech)
Deception: 10%
Hatred: 10%

Sith Sorcerer:

Corruption: 10%
Lightning: 10%
Madness: 10%

Juggernaut:

Immortal: 8%
Vengeance: 5%
Rage: 5%

Marauder:

Annihilation: 5%
Carnage: 5%
Fury: 5%

What accuracy does for you:

Your accuracy stat gives you a % chance to overcome a class/spec's defense chance. If you have 105% accuracy and you are hitting a class/spec with 5% ranged/melee defense chance, then your ranged and melee attacks cannot be defended by anything other than a defensive cooldown.

What to consider when thinking about accuracy:

1) Does your class/spec use a lot of ranged/melee attacks? (you can find this out by looking at the tooltips for the spells you use)

If so, you may want to go with accuracy. However, see below.

2) How much accuracy?

Going 105% will cover you for 11/24 class/specs which isn't very efficient. Going 110% will cover you for all (except sniper in cover (ranged only) and sith assassin tank), which is also somewhat inefficient because of the stats you're losing to gain accuracy, not to mention that it only covers you for base defense chance. There are a ton of defensive cooldowns that render 110% accuracy useless.

3) Do I want to go accuracy at all?

Some people are happy to take no accuracy whatsoever, stay at 101% accuracy (with companion bonus). This is because (and others have done research) that most misses are due to a target using a defensive cooldown, as opposed to base defense.

Conclusions:

My personal approach: I don't take accuracy on any class/spec regardless of what they use. This is because there is simply too much base defense along with defensive cooldowns flying around to justify the stat loss from trying to get a decent amount of accuracy.

Updates:

Please feel free to comment on any mistakes that were made, any extra information you may have, or any personal opinions or testing you've done that I can add to this. If we can get a good consensus on the information in this thread, I'd like to get it stickied. Thanks all.

lavatsunami
01.27.2016 , 03:47 PM | #2
Reserved.

Might add a section here for all cooldowns/procs/utility points for each class/spec surrounding accuracy.

teclado
01.27.2016 , 04:36 PM | #3
That looks right to me. I think that BW should have written up something like this and stickied it a long time ago. I think that there has been a lot of bogus information on accuracy perpetuated by people (perhaps even me...) who heard it from somebody else who thought that they knew how it worked, but really didn't. The internet is great at spreading information...just much of it is mis-information.

So anyway, having a stickied thread on this would be great. Thanks for your efforts!
SS
Malovo - Marauder

lavatsunami
01.27.2016 , 04:48 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by teclado View Post
That looks right to me. I think that BW should have written up something like this and stickied it a long time ago. I think that there has been a lot of bogus information on accuracy perpetuated by people (perhaps even me...) who heard it from somebody else who thought that they knew how it worked, but really didn't. The internet is great at spreading information...just much of it is mis-information.

So anyway, having a stickied thread on this would be great. Thanks for your efforts!
Thanks for the feedback Does anyone know how to get something stickied? i haven't tried to do it before.

trashy_spartan
01.27.2016 , 04:55 PM | #5
Pt tank has 9% base defense.
Immortal jugg has 8% base defense and retaliation gives you 5% defense against all damage with an 100% uptime easily attainable ( 6s cd with 10s buff duration).

lavatsunami
01.27.2016 , 05:00 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by trashy_spartan View Post
Pt tank has 9% base defense.
Immortal jugg has 8% base defense and retaliation gives you 5% defense against all damage with an 100% uptime easily attainable ( 6s cd with 10s buff duration).
Correct. I incorrectly added 4% to 10% instead of 4% to 5%. Will change. I don't see the talent for immortal jugg that gives 3% defense chance (I'm using dulfy calculator atm). I did look through all the procs, etc (there are quite a few including one for fury marauder that gives 10% defense chance on basically a 66% uptime), but decided not to put those in. I may make another thread with all defensive procs and cooldowns. Thanks for the heads up.

Put a disclaimer in, but I may add another section to this thread that shows defensive procs and cooldowns.

trashy_spartan
01.27.2016 , 05:07 PM | #7
Actually, the 3% bonus defense comes from the soresu form. You can see it by switching soresu on and off.

lavatsunami
01.27.2016 , 05:10 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by trashy_spartan View Post
Actually, the 3% bonus defense comes from the soresu form. You can see it by switching soresu on and off.
I looked in to this and the tooltip does not state a 3% increase, nor did switching give it to me (lvl 18 jugg). Can anyone else confirm the 3% increase?

trashy_spartan
01.27.2016 , 06:01 PM | #9
I looked it up and it's a passive skill called "single blade mastery" or something like that. I don't know when you can train it.

It gives the following bonus :
Shii-cho : 3% on force damage.
Shien : 3% on melee damage.
Soresu : 3% defense + 15% more threat on certain abilities.

and a general bonus of 20% weapon damage.

Lhancelot
01.27.2016 , 06:21 PM | #10
Thanks for compiling this, that's pretty interesting I never knew many of those values. Very nice thanks.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates