Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why is Bioware so much more willing to kill Imperial characters?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why is Bioware so much more willing to kill Imperial characters?

Karkais's Avatar


Karkais
12.31.2015 , 02:54 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Tamyn View Post
Now I'm just itching for Satele to die since the Imperials have lost everyone cool on their side.
Satele is too Iconic to die, but I'd settle for Saresh. Also, I count only Marr, since the others were not cool.

Quote: Originally Posted by adormitul View Post
In about 4000 years.
To rise again.

ps. To account for republic characters that have perished at the hands of imperial characters, I'll start with Dorian Janarus, the previous supreme chancellor who was dispatched (or captured) by bounty hunter in the class story.
"What is a Sith? Over time, the beliefs have changed, but one constant has remained. The imposition of one's will on the force, on the environment surrounding one, on the galaxy itself." - Darth Wyyrlok III

JLazarillo's Avatar


JLazarillo
12.31.2015 , 03:48 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by BlazeTomahawk View Post
No, much sooner than than. It's only about 3300 til the original trilogy, the republic reigns supreme and most people have never even heard of the Sith.
Even the Republic is due for a great societal fall during that time, though.

Karkais's Avatar


Karkais
12.31.2015 , 04:13 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by BlazeTomahawk View Post
No, much sooner than than. It's only about 3300 til the original trilogy, the republic reigns supreme and most people have never even heard of the Sith.
Lets not forget that empire is reinstated in ep.3 and republic fully disbanded in ep.4
"What is a Sith? Over time, the beliefs have changed, but one constant has remained. The imposition of one's will on the force, on the environment surrounding one, on the galaxy itself." - Darth Wyyrlok III

Cicgnar's Avatar


Cicgnar
12.31.2015 , 05:10 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by BlazeTomahawk View Post
y'all realize that the empire loses, right?
You do realise that, before losing, the Empire gets to run the galaxy and oppress it... and that the Republic in the prequels uses the logo of the Sith Empire, not the Republic, right?

I think that, if the writers were any good, the Republic should face defeat. And the Empire, collapse unto itself once without an enemy to keep it together.

Joachimthbear's Avatar


Joachimthbear
12.31.2015 , 05:20 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by -Marauder- View Post
There's quite a few more that are featured in Flashpoints and such, most of the losses you name happen during THE REPUBLIC STORIES, they're not killed by the Imperial players who never meet them and mostly only during dark side choices which are unlikely to have been taken. This is therefore a non argument.
I don't know what argument you think I'm making here. I'm saying that many of the memorable Republic characters who might have later appeared and died in Imperial missions couldn't do so because they may be already dead. Do you disagree with that?

Quote: Originally Posted by -Marauder- View Post
Satele is just the most glaring example. She's been the counter part of !3! Imperial characters, all three wind up dead, Marr even completely unnecessary. Two of them are killed by the Republic, one is pretty celebrated as big victory (Kilran).
Is number 3 Malgus? Imperial players can kill him too. Because he betrayed them. Because that's what Sith do.

Quote: Originally Posted by -Marauder- View Post
If they weren't willing to kill of Satele to tell the same story for the Imp side [...]
What same story? You want Satele to betray the Republic and form her own breakaway faction? Or to force a fight to the death out of pride? The only story role Satele could have taken from one of her Sith "counterparts" would be to defy Valkorion and be killed by him, and since it's obvious that you and a few others would have cheered at that, it clearly wouldn't have had the impact required by the story.

Quote: Originally Posted by -Marauder- View Post
[...] or they should stop killing off any Imperial char players get attached to and invested in to pander to the Republic side or for no reason at all.
You say that all the NPCs who die in the course of the Republic stories don't count as losses because Imperial players don't kill them, yet the attachments are still there. So is this about attachment to the characters, or about some concept of "fairness" between the two "sides", or what?

Quote: Originally Posted by -Marauder- View Post
Kilran was Grand Moff, he had no business being there in person either, it happened anyway.
Spoiler


Quote: Originally Posted by -Marauder- View Post
The rest is just defending Biowares story writing, nothing happens because "Sith and Jedi", it happens because Bioware decides it happens that way and they're at least story wise up untill KOTFE extremly biased towards one side.
I'm not sure I follow. Nothing happens in a story unless the writers make it so, but what they write can still be in character or out of character, consistent or inconsistent with what has come before. The way the Empire is written is in character and consistent, since the Empire's leaders are mostly crazy and/or stupid, and that is not plot contrivance. The Sith collectively are ideologically committed to craziness and stupidity.

Quote: Originally Posted by -Marauder- View Post
The Republic kills characters the Imperial side got to know and worked with all the damn time, Malgus, Kilran, Darth Lachris etc. These were people which were part of BOTH SIDES stories, not exclusive to one side. Having nearly finished Rep side now, I can't remember a single high profile NPC I worked with and grew attached to that I got to kill on an Imp char.

If any of them die, they do so during the Republic stories, not as feel good fodder for the Imperials.
Again, Empire players kill Malgus too. What would the equivalent be of killing Lachris? Saresh, as then-governor of Taris? She's not a combatant. Are you asking to be allowed to execute a helpless politician - who in that case would never have become Chancellor, with all that entails - as "feel good fodder"?

Someone above already mentioned Jaric Kaedan. He's your single one. If you say that you didn't get attached to him, then... I can't help you with that, sorry.

Quote: Originally Posted by -Marauder- View Post
That has what to do with this? If anything the fact that the Empire eventually dissolves makes casting them as the weaker side that constantly loses all that much LESS anticlimatic. It turns from a story of two equal sides clashing, or the mighty evil Empire eventually being toppled to the side we all know will end up winning just kicking the underdog till it finally dies.
Right up until the end of Act 3, the Empire is attacking and the Republic is defending. Belsavis is a Republic world. Corellia is a Republic world. Balmorra and Alderaan are former Republic worlds.
Spoiler
All of that is added on top of the Great Galactic War where the Empire enslaved entire worlds, sacked Coruscant, murdered the last Supreme Chancellor and destroyed the Jedi Temple.

Your perception that the writers have made the Empire seem like some kind of harmless underdog is... disputable.

Quote: Originally Posted by -Marauder- View Post
It also doesn't explain why they don't go through the effort of building up chars the way they did build up Kilran, Malgus etc just to kill them off [...]
Because they were being built up as villains. Their story arcs ended in defeat.

Quote: Originally Posted by -Marauder- View Post
[...] and why all chars the Imperials get to kill are specifically conjured up for them and never shown at all on Republic side, while the Republic gets to kill chars the Imperial side has interacted with and got to known for quite some time.
I'm going to suggest some combination of "it just worked out that way" and "mass-murdering slavers from a bloodthirsty warrior cult are pretty much fair game".

Quote: Originally Posted by -Marauder- View Post
Satele is just the most egrious example, she should've died by all accounts long ago, struck down by the Imperial players. Her role in some flashpoints as antagonist becomes just irritating and annoying seen how you never to to shove her own words down her throat, unlike Kilran who gets killed off summarily.
This appears to be quite personal for you at this point.

casirabit's Avatar


casirabit
12.31.2015 , 05:22 PM | #26
I love my Sith characters but the Empire has one major problem and that is they tend to fight among themselves instead of working together.

It is a lot easier to kill off characters like that then it is for characters that have people that will help them.

When the sith empire is based on killing one another off is it any wonder the writers kill these characters?
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing. If you like redheads click my Referral link Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj

jauvtus's Avatar


jauvtus
01.01.2016 , 04:25 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Karkais View Post
Lets not forget that empire is reinstated in ep.3 and republic fully disbanded in ep.4
Dont fake history. In ep.3 Palpatine declares the GALACTIC EMPIRE, he never reinstates the SITH EMPIRE. Just because it has "Empire" in ite name it has nothing to do with it. Or do you think Galactic Empire=Sith Empire=Gree Empire=Infinite Empire=Kwa Empire etc. ???
Why did the SW start with Episode IV?
Because the director Yoda was

SUPERTMANTIGER's Avatar


SUPERTMANTIGER
01.01.2016 , 08:59 AM | #28
Well the empire and imoerials are kinda the dark side and will be made out to be the villains so to please the majority it makes sense that bioware would kill more of them off

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
01.01.2016 , 01:43 PM | #29
Satele is our Yoda. Die of old age she will.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

jauvtus's Avatar


jauvtus
01.01.2016 , 02:26 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by SUPERTMANTIGER View Post
Well the empire and imoerials are kinda the dark side and will be made out to be the villains so to please the majority it makes sense that bioware would kill more of them off
All of my chars are LS, imps too and even though I agree the Empire is the villain, it would make much more sense if more reps would die (but note that all of the Jedi Council except Satele and Bar'senthor die/get lost along with the Supreme Chancellor and the War Trust)
Why did the SW start with Episode IV?
Because the director Yoda was