Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why is Bioware so much more willing to kill Imperial characters?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why is Bioware so much more willing to kill Imperial characters?

-Marauder-'s Avatar


-Marauder-
12.30.2015 , 10:55 PM | #1
Currently leveling all classes to 50+ to see all the stories I've noticed something that struck me as odd, Bioware seems to be perfectly willing to build up characters, let them have a lot of lore and interaction with both sides, to eventually summarily kill them off (often without the other side ever learning about it) to give players some kind of feeling of accomplishment. As long as they're imperial characters that is.

Take for example Grand Moff Kilran, the so called butcher of Coruscant. He was featured in several flashpoints for both sides, interacting with players and being build up as a genius strategist. Before the Republic eventually got to summarily murder him and clap each other on the back.

His opposite when playing Imp is Satele Shan, whom as Imperial you never get a shot at. In fact she survived not just Kilran who functioned as her counterpart during these flashpoints, she also outlasted Darth Malgus her story counterpart and Darth Marr who was brought in as a replacement for Malgus.

Yes the Imperial chars do occasionally kill high profile chars such as the Chancellor, however these chars usually do not show up on Republic side, we don't get to know them before they're killed off. Most of the chars that die during the stories are Republic chars that the Republic players never learn about and never get to know or given a chance to grow attached to.

It strikes me as a bit odd, when it comes to Republic chars such as Satele they seem to have plot armor of immense thickness. Why is Bioware so unwilling to give Imperial chars and players the same kind of accomplishment and grand kills they do hand out to Republic ones on a regular basis?

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
12.31.2015 , 12:17 AM | #2
I wouldn't call it murder, when it comes to Kilran.

Now let's look at Rep siders who die. Of the top of my head, Agent can let all the Rep side SiS team die (or most of them anyways, but sure it's all of them), Jax can due too.

Or is this a matter of dies no matter what?
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Chaloss's Avatar


Chaloss
12.31.2015 , 12:25 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I wouldn't call it murder, when it comes to Kilran.

Now let's look at Rep siders who die. Of the top of my head, Agent can let all the Rep side SiS team die (or most of them anyways, but sure it's all of them), Jax can due too.

Or is this a matter of dies no matter what?
Unless republic players got to interact with them before imperial players killed them, they do not count.

His point was how imp side characters our imperial characters got to interact are killed while rep side it happens very little. In fact it is actually worse than shown here as far as I know.

SoloThreat's Avatar


SoloThreat
12.31.2015 , 12:49 AM | #4
On Ilum imps get to kill Master Jaric Kaedan a member of the Jedi Council and seen a few times in both Jedi Knight and Consular story lines.

adormitul's Avatar


adormitul
12.31.2015 , 01:49 AM | #5
We lost all the original Dark Council and I mean all of them and yet Satele is still alive maybe Vrowhan is still alive and well maybe joined the Eternal Empire but you all get it the imperials get to much loses compared to the Republic.

Tamyn's Avatar


Tamyn
12.31.2015 , 04:12 AM | #6
Imperials also lose all the planets of any worth we players spend levels trying to conquer. They lose Balmorra and Corellia, which are valuable. They "win" Taris, which is just a toxic waste dump. The Imps finally have a small victory with Makeb, although then they were desperate and on the brink of destruction.

Now I'm just itching for Satele to die since the Imperials have lost everyone cool on their side.

Joachimthbear's Avatar


Joachimthbear
12.31.2015 , 04:24 AM | #7
Which Republic characters do you want to kill? Is it basically "just Satele"? Because she's the only important Jedi NPC left in the story at this point.
Spoiler

Other major Republic characters are a mix of non-combatants, military generals and spies who are much less likely to end up as a boss fight in a mission or flashpoint. The Empire happens to be led by Sith, and it's nobody's fault but their own that they're so prone to committing suicide by hero.

Quote: Originally Posted by adormitul View Post
We lost all the original Dark Council and I mean all of them and yet Satele is still alive maybe Vrowhan is still alive and well maybe joined the Eternal Empire but you all get it the imperials get to much loses compared to the Republic.
The Republic only killed a few Dark Councillors, though. Several of them were killed by their own side (and there are a bunch we're not sure are dead).

adormitul's Avatar


adormitul
12.31.2015 , 04:48 AM | #8
Its more why Bioware is willing to kill Imperial characters way more then Republic characters.
Right now all of the original dark council members are MIA or dead. We only have the new empress who appeared way later in the story which if my wishes are gonna be fulfilled I am gonna also kill because she is empress and nobody is gonna be above my wrath in the end nobody. Also the best Moff in the empire was killed.
Now the Republic lost all the original jedi council members besides Satele which is not fair she should have also died. They lost the supreme councilor that was replaced very fast. They lost the war trust generals and a couple of jedi masters and knights. Also a good chunk of the SIS.
But the imperials lost Balmora and Corelia and they won Taris the **** that it is and Makeb who at least gave them something. But they also lost Quesh. This makes me wonder why does Bioware wants to see the imperials suffer so many defeats and kills.

tcgtqu's Avatar


tcgtqu
12.31.2015 , 06:14 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by adormitul View Post
Its more why Bioware is willing to kill Imperial characters way more then Republic characters.
Right now all of the original dark council members are MIA or dead. We only have the new empress who appeared way later in the story which if my wishes are gonna be fulfilled I am gonna also kill because she is empress and nobody is gonna be above my wrath in the end nobody. Also the best Moff in the empire was killed.
Now the Republic lost all the original jedi council members besides Satele which is not fair she should have also died. They lost the supreme councilor that was replaced very fast. They lost the war trust generals and a couple of jedi masters and knights. Also a good chunk of the SIS.
But the imperials lost Balmora and Corelia and they won Taris the **** that it is and Makeb who at least gave them something. But they also lost Quesh. This makes me wonder why does Bioware wants to see the imperials suffer so many defeats and kills.
Not only that, the Imperial military seems to be the one that is constantly being weakened.
1. The Imperial military lost 10% of its total fighting forces while fighting for the control of Corellia
2. Darth Malgus, who took a great chunk of the Imperial military with him when he betrayed the Empire
3. Dread Masters' betrayal, which also took a chunk of the Imperial military (both willing and unwilling) with them

Joachimthbear's Avatar


Joachimthbear
12.31.2015 , 06:29 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by tcgtqu View Post
Not only that, the Imperial military seems to be the one that is constantly being weakened.
1. The Imperial military lost 10% of its total fighting forces while fighting for the control of Corellia
2. Darth Malgus, who took a great chunk of the Imperial military with him when he betrayed the Empire
3. Dread Masters' betrayal, which also took a chunk of the Imperial military (both willing and unwilling) with them
There's a running theme there. It's the way of the Sith to betray their own and overreach themselves. They make the same mistakes over and over again because those mistakes are built into their core beliefs.

If you're going to build your society on infighting and betrayal, throw away loyal and experienced soldiers and other resources for negligible gain, prioritise targets with no strategic value purely for the sake of spite, and waste vast amounts of potential by relegating aliens and low-caste humans to slavery, then you shouldn't be surprised that your Empire ends up failing badly.