Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is your basis for opposing a group-searching system in SWTOR?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
What is your basis for opposing a group-searching system in SWTOR?

LogicalPremise
12.27.2011 , 09:11 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by casshern View Post
i dont want a dungeon finder, it is a lazy tool for lazy people go out there and and find a group, this isnt wow, you want wow then go back, we dont want here ruining our game.
This statement not only conflicts itself -- how exactly does one find a group without tools, random spam -- but basically implies that anyone who disagrees is some kind of "WoW game ruiner".

Never played WoW. Don't see why when all of my guildies are at work and I need a group to run a heroic I should be forced to run around spamming. Cross server is bad (and hopefully wouldn't even work with this server layout) and offers nothing good if you are on a high-pop server. While I feel bad for those who aren't, well.... nothing I can do about that.
Majynn, L55 Sorc - The Society - Harbinger
Garadan, L55 Jugg- Dark Void - Harbinger
Vongrath, L35 Op- Dark Void - Harbinger

Satans_Chosen
12.27.2011 , 08:01 PM | #22
From some of the posts I've seen, it sounds like a lot of people worry that a lfg system will embolden many players to act like jerks without fear of reprisal. I come from a game where the simple party-search system does not grant automatic entry to a group nor anonymity prior to joining. Character name, class, level are all easily seen. People who have a reputation for grieving others, even if just for that day, don't get accepted onto a team or can kicked by the leader if someone makes accusations against him. That's perfectly normal.

Even with a system to help people look for groups, there is nothing to stop the group from considering a player's reputation, usefulness, or any other factor. Members can discuss freely whether to accept somone, and the leader can make the choice. I don't know what is it about the WoW system that's so terrible, but any problem it has is most certainly not the norm in MMO.

Perhaps some people are thinking about something like a queue system, where a bunch of people line up for some flashpoint or quest, then every 4 in line get grouped together like riding on a roller coaster. That is most definitely a terrible system for game teams and whoever came up with it should be fired.
Precise, Complete, Succinct

Completeness
12.27.2011 , 08:59 PM | #23
I play WoW since 2006 and I think that the dungeon finder tool is probably the best thing ever developed. I play the game to do instances, not solo quests, social interaction, PvP or whatever. But I understand that other people might not like instances and like these other things. That's why they are there, to please as many people as possible.

Sometimes I get in a bad group. And I don't mean inexperienced players. Those I don't mind. I mean jerks, griefers, trolls, ninjas, rushers, etc. But those are a minority. Most of the time the players behave nicely. And I don't blame the dungeon finder. Those people are not jerks because of the dungeon finder system. They just are. The game had jerks way before the dungeon finder got created.

So, live and let live. If you don't like the dungeon finder system, don't use it. If you like it, use it. Simple as that.

ShenLong
12.27.2011 , 09:07 PM | #24
I don't oppose a group-searching system. I just oppose a cross-server one.

In regards to it just cross server is the easiest way to get screwed out of things because of the typical "I nevar play with u gain, so screw u anywayz."

At the same time I don't think it's a necessity. A dungeon finder isn't going to make or break a game, because it's a luxury of convenience. MMOs existed without them before, so just because they were created doesn't mean they are an absolute necessity now. Besides, there's things that take a lot more priority then a luxury of a group finder. When the dust has settled, all the game-breaking bugs are worked out and all the balancing is done, and more of the major expansions have been put to work, THEN a group finder could come into place.

Completeness
12.27.2011 , 09:15 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by ShenLong View Post
it's a luxury of convenience ... just because they were created doesn't mean they are an absolute necessity
People used to say that about cell phones.

marlomarlo
12.28.2011 , 05:16 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Graburr View Post
seriously, I've read a lot of arguments pro/con dungeon finder with a lot of comparisons, but yours won the top spot for being the most rubbish.
so rubbish actually you're a hot contender for the lifetime award....
What your statement and the apocalyptic arguments against a group-finding tool have in common is the complete absence of any basis, which isn't surprising. The only thing missing is a shot at WoW. If you want to talk about rubbish, there's your insistence that your mere opinion is worth something and doesn't need an explanation. Of course, what else should anyone expect from someone that somehow failed to see the connection between the lack of a meaningful consequence that a group-finding tool would have for people that don't want to use such a thing and the lack of a meaningful consequence for heterosexual couples if marriage is opened to same-sex partnerships. Besides the sound of you breathing from your mouth, I mean.

Theboatman
12.28.2011 , 06:53 AM | #27
a LFG system improved beyond this one would be extremely nice. right now I just do /who then search for whatever i need, it's tedious and involves a lot of whispers. Even though i ask nicely many people feel harassed. Some say "thanks for the offer" but I'd rather not interupt someones questing etc with random spam. the Current LFG system just plain doesn't work. There are so many people spread out over so many planets/their personal ships it makes it very difficult to get a group together.

Maybe not a wow clone system, but something more substantial...please. Also, guilds seem nearly pointless, it's just another friends list... no real benefits for guilds is kinda meh

WhoDaresWins
12.28.2011 , 07:03 AM | #28
Considering every Flashpoint is on the fleet, I wouldn't oppose a YOUR SERVER ONLY grouping system.

The knee jerk reaction for not wanting such a system is simply "WoW did it, I don't want to associate with that game any more so I flame anything that so much as has a shade of blue they used".

Cross-server grouping did kick 'community' in the bollocks a fair amount, but frankly what kind of community did WoW have in the first place? It was hardly stellar at the best of times anyway. Another issue with the LFG System was that it cut out any travelling to instances whilst in TOR (as I have already mentioned) they are all aboard the fleets anyway.

So, maybe have a LFG System but only for your own server, or just have a global LFG channel so people can do other stuff than squat in the fleet for hours.
The Imperial Inquisition

A EU Heavy RP Imperial Guild
"Death to the Emperor's enemies"

Hypernetic
12.28.2011 , 07:09 AM | #29
One way or the other the system needs to be refined. You can't even but more than two words in the LFG comment because it gets cut off and there is no way (that I have found) to expand it to see what people wrote.

So I can fit in something like "LFG Tank" or "Tank HM FP" and that is it. Nothing more specific than that.

CelticPete
12.28.2011 , 10:35 AM | #30
Quote:
Cross-server grouping did kick 'community' in the bollocks a fair amount, but frankly what kind of community did WoW have in the first place? It was hardly stellar at the best of times anyway. Another issue with the LFG System was that it cut out any travelling to instances whilst in TOR (as I have already mentioned) they are all aboard the fleets anyway.
The problem really is the word 'community.' in this argument. It's take to mean some kind of pollyanna where everyone helps everyone. True. World of Warcraft never had THAT kind of community.

But they DID have a community where good sociable players could find groups very quickly and bad selfish players couldn't find anyone to bring them with them.

This is the main problem that cross server dungeon finders caused in WoW. In short - it doesn't matter if you suck. You can just queue and go again. In fact a tank - considered the pinnacle of skill can requeue the fastest of all if they suck. So they can easily 'group jump' to find a healer/dps to carry them.

And as someone that played in WoW before and after the Dungeon finder it really matters.. You want from PAGES of friends on your list to almost none because no one bothered to group manually anymore.

Of course this is just the start of the problem from a game designers perspective. The REAL problem is that a cross server group system speeds the forming of groups and lowers the quality of said groups. Thus you have to weaken your dungeons to compensate (people do not like repeated failures) AND make your players run them over and over..(you cannot have your players quickly out gear your content).

I'd rate this as equally bad if not worse then the side effects that ruin the community.