Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Floor Hook Suggestions

Xo-Lara
12.04.2015 , 03:30 PM | #1
Please also see my thread for in game assets requested as decorations: Stronghold Decorations Iíd Like to See and Some Suggestions

Floor Hook Suggestions

Hello Everybody. As someone who loves the Stronghold system, Iíve been thinking about how to improve it. Some of the issues with the stronghold system right now are hook placement and hook arrangement. So, Iíve come up with some suggestions on how to break down hooks for certain purposes.

Note: Iíve hidden the layout diagrams and commentary below in spoiler tags to help keep the thread from being overwhelming.

Hook Placement
Spoiler

Hook Layout
Spoiler

Assembly /Audience Room Ė Centerpiece Hook Layout
Spoiler

Barracks Ė Centerpiece Hook Layout
Spoiler

Refugee Camp Ė Centerpiece Hook Layout
Spoiler

Throne Room Ė Centerpiece Hook Layout
Spoiler

Cantina Ė Centerpiece Hook Layout
Spoiler

Lobby Ė Centerpiece Hook Layout
Spoiler

Office Ė Centerpiece Hook Layout
Spoiler

Plaza Ė Centerpiece Hook Layout
Spoiler

Vendor Ė Large Hook Layout
Spoiler

Workshop - Large Hook Layout
Spoiler

MaximusRex
12.04.2015 , 04:24 PM | #2
I like a lot of these idea, it would be nice to see more options, and especially nice to see more styles where one type of hook overlays another, allowing us to build our own arrangements.

That said, a lof of the problems with the current system could be fixed by trying to move as many decorations as possible onto a smaller starting hook and the allowing them to sit on any hook larger than it. A lot of the new Zakuul themed floor decorations are Large floor when whry should be Medium Narrow. Also, continuing to offer larger offsets, especially on larger hooks, can make a huge difference in how we are able to layout our spaces.

Xo-Lara
12.04.2015 , 05:19 PM | #3
Thank you. Yeah, allowing further offset on the larger hook is a good idea. A Z axis offset would be helpful too. Though I wonder if maybe decorations are limited in the number of hooks they can be used on because of something built into the system. Like they have a hard limit on how many hooks you assign to them or something.

StarChanneller
12.17.2015 , 01:48 PM | #4
Every idea mentioned in this thread so far needs to happen. I can't go back to the old hook arrangements now that I've thought about what I could do with these hook layouts. I could decorate my strongholds beautifully 8D

Xo-Lara
01.31.2016 , 06:20 PM | #5
A quick bump before the fact that my sub ran out catches up to the forums.

Please consider these changes. Strongholds like Yavin are gorgeous but next to useless without better floor hook placement. Some people struggle with it just the same, but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't accept a rearrangement/rethinking of the hook placements.
If you like my stronghold threads such as this and this, please consider using my referral link. It will reward us both. Or you could post your support for one of my threads.
{Ξ(Θ)!!██████████████████

StarChanneller
01.31.2016 , 10:35 PM | #6
Once again, I would really love to see these arrangements added. It would benefit EA and Bioware AND the players. It's a win-win!
Want to get some items? When you click someone's referral link, SWTOR gives you stuff! Below is my referral link, and yes, I do get stuff as well if you click it. It's mutually beneficial. At least I'm honest about my ulterior motive :3
http://www.swtor.com/r/5lNVP6

Xo-Lara
10.17.2017 , 08:35 PM | #7
Thanks StarChanneller.

Alright, I changed image hosts on all of the hook layout suggestion links so those should work again. I haven't worked on the starship and new large hook layout suggestions but maybe I'll get back around it if it looks like hooks will be addressed in the future.

Now seemed like a good time to bring this back up because I feel like the dev team is in a position to start working ideas like this into the workflow. I still believe that hook layout and hook placement need to be approached a little differently and that rooms should have better floor hook coverage.
If you like my stronghold threads such as this and this, please consider using my referral link. It will reward us both. Or you could post your support for one of my threads.

Xina_LA
10.18.2017 , 08:51 AM | #8
Yeah, I know, this is a necro-thread, but it's also a valid topic.

I would love to see some new layouts, but far more than that, I would like to see...
* FIXING BUGS on existing hooks. A huge number of Manaan hooks won't release pets once placed, for example.
* EXTENDING RANGE so that we can move decorations +/- 30 or more. That would fix a number of hook issues.

If I could have only one floor hook modification, it would be to change the Centerpiece and Starship hooks, so that when they're broken down into one or more Large hooks, those are standard Large hooks that include a grid of Small floor hooks.
--=# Decorating addict of Satele Shan server. #=--

Xo-Lara
10.18.2017 , 08:52 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Xina_LA View Post
Yeah, I know, this is a necro-thread, but it's also a valid topic.

I would love to see some new layouts, but far more than that, I would like to see...
* FIXING BUGS on existing hooks. A huge number of Manaan hooks won't release pets once placed, for example.
* EXTENDING RANGE so that we can move decorations +/- 30 or more. That would fix a number of hook issues.

If I could have only one floor hook modification, it would be to change the Centerpiece and Starship hooks, so that when they're broken down into one or more Large hooks, those are standard Large hooks that include a grid of Small floor hooks.
I'm with you on the range and turning all large hooks into standard Large hooks with the little hooks on top. I do think range would help with hook coverage. However, making smaller strongholds might help too.

SteveTheCynic
10.19.2017 , 01:51 AM | #10
Pfft. Don't mess with the hooks. Drop the hooks and go for free placement. It's probably a good idea to define a concept of "surfaces" to replace "hooks". A "floor" surface is somewhere that currently has/could reasonably have floor hooks, and a wall surface currently has wall hooks, and a ceiling surface currently has ceiling hooks. Then let me place a decoration on the same kind of surface that its current hook type corresponds to.

The "surface" idea prevents the "chairs on the ceiling" problem that plagues e.g. Runes of Magic. Some decorations should probably be multi-surface. I'm thinking mostly of decal-types (Firebrand graffiti, blaster burns, etc.), of course.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.