Stop logging me out during character creation!

Gorgor

If I choose to watch your lovingly-crafted movie, the one with the commando and Satele palming the bad guy's lightsaber beam, then go about my business creating a character, it logs me out for inactivity.

Please stop that as it destroys the character-in-progress, which can be substantial.

Here's a hint: If the inactivity system is too stupid to monitor the character creator, have the character creator send it a heartbeat every (inactivity timeout) / 3 minutes, and have it itself monitor button presses and mouse movements OR IF A MOVIE IS PLAYING.

This is not a difficult design flaw to compensate for gracefully and cleanly.

Edited by Gorgor

This bugs me, too. I get booted out while trying to think of names. I'm super picky about my character names, they have to be thematically appropriate--species, gender, etc. Sometimes it takes me a while. I've taken to screenshotting my character creation progress so I can re-do it quickly if i get booted. Still, the system needs to be able to monitor UI clicks and stuff to keep this from happening at all. :rolleyes:

Very annoying, yes. And not just there - it's the same for all cases where you are not moving your character around. For example while writing a bug report (which happened to me quite recently) or if you forget to sidestep a little every few minutes while browsing the GTN or handling your in-game mail.

I've never been logged out because of inactivity. I've gotten the message "You are now AFK" (or words to that effect), but never logged out. So.... I dunno .... is there a setting associated with this somewhere.

(And I have, on occasion, spent a long, long, time creating a character. I've also been logged in motionless while crafting, for upwards of 20-25 minutes, while watching sports or surfing the web.)

Edited by JediQuaker

I got flagged last night while FRAPSing my class story. I kept escaping out of the convo testing choices, and would get distracted by IRL for a few minutes here and a few there. I didn't think of sidestepping since there was obviously still input coming regularly from my end, and I got booted. :rolleyes: No big deal this time, nothing gets lost like character creation or a lengthy ticket or something, but it's still a little annoying.

Since this never happens to me, I'm wondering if it may have something to do with Windows trying to "sleep" or something, rather than an issue with the game itself. In my case, my system (under Power options in Control Panel) is set to "never" sleep. You might try experimenting with that setting. (It might also matter what sort of device you are using - a laptop may be more apt to override the program if it's running on the battery, for example, or particular hardware may respond differently.) Edited by JediQuaker

Since this never happens to me, I'm wondering if it may have something to do with Windows trying to "sleep" or something, rather than an issue with the game itself. <snip>

That's good thinking, but it's not it. Well - at least not for me.

I (as you do) already have set the power settings to "never sleep". Had to change it to that after upgrading to Win10 since Windows then started to fall back to 800x600 resolution every time the monitor reset (e.g. during sleep mode). It's only a very brief switch before it goes back to full resolution again, but it's enough for all open windows to scale down and become really tiny in my normal resolution at 3840x2160, and also lump together in the upper left corner of the screen - very annoying after a while.

But I digress... My point is that this setting has no effect on the problem with the game not handling user activity correctly. Still, interesting to hear that it does not affect everybody. I suppose I should have realized that; If it did affect everyone, they would probably have fixed it by now... maybe... possibly... :)