The "huge Companion Nerfs" can be caused by the "Companion mainhand "weaponarmor" bug".

-JE-BLAZAR-

Hey there, dear people from Bioware and Swtor!

There is a bug regarding companions that when they put an hilt or barrel in their mainhand weapon, their damage/healing increases by 30%.

I hoped it was fixed in this update but it is not!

It seems and it can be probably the cause why you guys overnerfed the companions way to much in this update from yesterday.

The bug works like this:

1. summon your companion.

2. put a barrel/hilt in the empty mainhand weapon of your companion.

3. Dimiss him/her

4. Summon him back, and "Tadaa!" He has 30% more dps/healing.

I think this could have caused false data in your data-analysis regarding Dps/healing/tanking.

Funny thing is almost nobody does know this bug, so far I know and it seems you guys do not too.

I hope you can fix it!

Greets!

----------------------

-> Update: With latest patch 4.0.2 you can not use this trick not anymore to get 30%more healing, but you can increase and use this trick to increase the dps output of companions in dps / healing and tanking.

It works only on the mainhand weapon btw, you need to equip your companion with a custom weapon (any form of lightsaber, blaster, rifle etc.) with an weapon armor (lightsabers = hilt, for blasters and other guns it = a barrel).

Weaponarmor in weapons makes your weapon do an certain amount of damage so that is why this bug still works, it should not do this though because it is intended that nothing whatever you can do or put in your weapon should affect the companions healing or dps and healing+dps for tanking. But it did and now since latest update it only affects dps for all roles.

Anyone from bioware please take note of this bug, it could have affected your data. And if true in this way nerfed the companions a bit too hard in my opinion. :) They where overpowered but I think it is time to review the data what to do against this bug and make them a bit better again so everyone can have fun and be happy I hope!

And have a fair game ofcourse!

If bioware answers to this post ans sees this as an exploit then do not use this bug.

And otherwise have fun for now.

Good luck everyone!

Edited by -JE-BLAZAR-

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not blaming :D

Well a bit. ;)

I am frustrated that this could have caused wrong data analysis and making wrong conclusions what to do with companions.

(30-50% healing nerf and 20-35% dps nerf was more reasonable imo)

But you can enjoy it in the meantime this bug, before bioware can fix it, and make your companions 30% better again. :)

Before latest update this bug was not needed because companions where overpowered imo.

But now as info too for people, if you struggle now you can know how to make them a bit better again.

Greets! :)

Edited by -JE-BLAZAR-

Someone mentioned in general over the weekend that comp stats went up if you gave them a better weapon so I tested it with Lana. Her stock saber is a rank 8 green. I replaced it with one of the 192 devoted allies sabers and her bonus damage/healing went up after resummoning her.

Not sure if it still has an effect after the patch.

Yes it does and that is what this thread is about. :)

It seems bioware did not know the existence of this bug.

And took the data of people (like me for example) who used this bug in their data-analysis results.

I feel responsible for this, that the companions got nerfed so much because probably people like me caused this problem.

Test it out if you like the more people can confirm this in this post, the faster bioware realizes what went wrong, the faster they will fix/change the nerf in something better without this exploit.

Edited by -JE-BLAZAR-

Odd...I mistakenly started putting properly modded Main Hands and Offhands in my comps after 4.0 not realizing that they "didn't need them"...and so I removed some of the modded items and replaced them with the non modded vanity weapons - and I saw zero difference at all.

Putting hilt/barrel/armor in the Offhands do not make the companion better.

The exploit/bug only applies for the mainhand weapon.

So putting an hilt/barrel in that weapon will give 1/3 increase with level sync.

And on a level 65 instance my ashara gets:

No hilt mainhand.

- damage: 2028-2043

186 mainhand hilt

- damage: 2615-2923

208 mainhand hilt

- damage 2715-3128

So the hilt/barrel rating for the mainhand matters at level 65

Odd...I mistakenly started putting properly modded Main Hands and Offhands in my comps after 4.0 not realizing that they "didn't need them"...and so I removed some of the modded items and replaced them with the non modded vanity weapons - and I saw zero difference at all.

You won't see it unless you store and call your companion.

Yup, 100% agreed.

Bump bump bump* ^^

I feel bad now that I did not told this afther 4.0 came out, I found this out the 3rd day of playing by accident and misused it for my own fun lol. I know some others found out this bug too so it has been misused by an decent amount of people who can affect data-analysis results, and the companion nerf is because of this screwing up companions for others who do not know this.

Yes it does and that is what this thread is about. :)

It seems bioware did not know the existence of this bug.

And took the data of people (like me for example) who used this bug in their data-analysis results.

I feel responsible for this, that the companions got nerfed so much because probably people like me caused this problem.

Test it out if you like the more people can confirm this in this post, the faster bioware realizes what went wrong, the faster they will fix/change the nerf in something better without this exploit.

You really believe they used *your* figures and data to decide how much to change companions? You need to stop looking at your reflection for a while...

I noticed this last week on Treek when I replaced her old 192 rifle with her generic bowcaster.

Took a screenshot of both stat screens in healing stance, and in my observation the only thing that changed was the base damage of the primary weapon, all other stats like bonus damage, bonus healing, hitpoints, etc. stayed exactly the same.

Also, someone would need to parse some data to make sure it's a bug in the actual healing/damage, and not just a visual bug in the stat screen.

So they nerf companions for 50%, this method can bring that up by 30% and you want to tell them?

Lovely. In a week they'll "fix" this too and then companions will be well and truly ruined.

I hope not!

They used this data in their conclusions how much to nerf companions I think.

So they should fix this and buff up the companions again a bit so they are more in line in what they had in mind what the companions should do in healing dps and tanking.

They got false results (i think) so they should adjust and imo make the companions 1/3 better again, because it seems that is what they had in mind. Anyways I do not know, but I do know that they should know that something went wrong perhaps because they misread their data and implemented something what can affect negatively new players or people who do not know this exploit/bug.

Yes isn't really a valid answer to my question.

Put an hilt in an mainhand weapon of your companion who has an "hilt slot" .

All weapon items who have an hilt slot in the weapon are custom and modible, same applies to hilts you can put them in blasters that are custom, those have an barrel slot where you can put them in.

You should know this. :)

Google it otherwise it is not that hard.

The bug works only if you put an hilt/barrel in your mainhand weapon of your companion not the offhand.

At level 65 an 186 hilt is not as good as for example a 208 hilt for your companion, see 1 of my previous posts.

Greets!

I had some fun nights on zakuul pre latest patch, some players did not knew what hit them when I showed up with my lana with 216 hilt. ^^

You knowingly and intentionally took advantage of a bug to grief other players?

I believe that would be considered an exploit. Not to mention just sad.

You knowingly and intentionally took advantage of a bug to grief other players?

I believe that would be considered an exploit. Not to mention just sad.

You are right, but I did it only sometimes and for a little while. I know when to stop. :)

I mostly used it as an defence, (i play on a pvp server), if others attacked me.

But you are right misusage is never right, but it can be fun to tease with things like this.

That is why I should told it sooner, but I hoped bioware knew about this, what it seems they did not. :/

This bug is the real reason why some companions of some players where in the past almost unkillable btw.

that would explain why people kept claiming things that i simply didn't see on my companions who I just gave empty CM weapons with color crystals I liked best >_>

Taking bets that BW simply "fixes" that little problem AND leaves the nuke from orbit nerf in place as well.

pftt, sucker bet :p

Edited by Jeweledleah