Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Launcher takes ages to boot?

cornedbeef
12.13.2011 , 03:42 PM | #1
EDIT: Posted what fixed my problem at the end of this post, encase it proves useful for anyone else

-----
Reposting an issue I didn't get resolved before the forums were taken offline...
--------

I click on the launcher and it takes 15minutes from the click till the login screen appears. ( I didn't play the beta so I have no idea if it effects the actual game as well)

While waiting if I attempt to open the launcher again it states its already running.

Opening task manager I can see a process called Launcher.exe however no program.

Any ideas of how to resolve this issue?

I've reinstalled the launcher several times.

windows7, 64 bit
Asus G73 laptop.

Ps. Cannot wait to play!! I didn't pre order till about a week ago though so I'm not expecting to get in till late. Just trying to resolve this issue before it actually effects my game.
---------

Solution (credit goes to Packetdancer ):
Quote:
Goto;
Internet Explorer: Tools -> Internet options, Connections, LAN Settings.

untick automatically detect settings
untick use automatic configuration script

cornedbeef
12.13.2011 , 03:50 PM | #2
Bump through the threads of people crying about waiting for a game that even shouldn't be out yet when they have no actual issues...

cornedbeef
12.13.2011 , 04:00 PM | #3
bump
12 chars

cornedbeef
12.13.2011 , 05:58 PM | #4
upupupupupupupupup

surely im not the only person to have this issue?

Packetdancer
12.13.2011 , 06:02 PM | #5
Out of curiosity, do you have a proxy server set up or a VPN or anything?

If you don't think you have a proxy server, you might want to check Internet Explorer: Tools -> Internet options, Connections, LAN Settings. I know one friend had a problem with the launcher taking forever to start during beta weekend, and that turned out to be because they had an ad-blocker proxy configured. The ad-blocker proxy caused the launcher's first requests to take aaaaaages to return.
Pahke Stardancer (Jedi Sentinel, Save Taris)
Writer, photographer, software engineer, GAMER.

cornedbeef
12.13.2011 , 06:32 PM | #6
Thanks for the reply!

I don't believe I have either set up.

I've checked for proxies using on-line tools.

I used to have a VPN set up using a program called log me in hamachi (to play minecraft multiplayer) but I uninstalled that a while ago. Will the VPN still exist without the program? If so how do to I remove it?

Also how to I check for other VPNs?

In windows network centre I have 3 networks, 2 of which are disabled (a bluetooth adapter, Ethernet adapter, and a WiFi connection)

I use chrome as my browser and I do not have any ad blockers.

Packetdancer
12.13.2011 , 06:35 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by cornedbeef View Post
Thanks for the reply!

I don't believe I have either set up.

I've checked for proxies using on-line tools.
An ad-blocker type program that installed itself into IE but runs on your local machine won't show up on most of those checks. I'd still check Internet Explorer as noted in my previous post, just in case (since SWTOR honors IE's proxy settings).

Quote:
I used to have a VPN set up using a program called log me in hamachi (to play minecraft multiplayer) but I uninstalled that a while ago. Will the VPN still exist without the program? If so how do to I remove it?
I admit, I'm not sure how Hamachi works on Windows, so I won't swear to this, but I think it only works when you actually have the Hamachi client working, so I don't think that's your cause if you already uninstalled it.
Pahke Stardancer (Jedi Sentinel, Save Taris)
Writer, photographer, software engineer, GAMER.

Wildcardwilson
12.13.2011 , 06:37 PM | #8
launcher just a black box here
Fardoragh/Falrom SWG Gorath/Flurry
ε╬╣!!!!╠▀▀{}▀(████████████████████████)

Gazzzenn
12.13.2011 , 06:38 PM | #9
seen a few mention that the launcher does a drive scan...why i don't know, seems like an odd thing for a game launcher to be doing...it should know where it is.

cornedbeef
12.13.2011 , 06:46 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Gazzzenn View Post
seen a few mention that the launcher does a drive scan...why i don't know, seems like an odd thing for a game launcher to be doing...it should know where it is.
As in it will scan both my HDD rather than knowing the path that SWTOR is located in?

I install all of my games on my d drive rather than my c, as it has more room.

Is this causing the launcher problems?