Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Females never given flirt options?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Females never given flirt options?

ClayPeopleCry
12.29.2011 , 02:54 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Isaantia View Post
One of the reasons I'm playing a female smuggler is because I can actually play a fun, flirty character. In the beta I played a female trooper (39), Jedi knight (37) and consular (50) as well, and I was frustrated at how few opportunities they get to flirt.

There is a huge gender discrepancy in this game when it comes to both romances and flirting and I find it pretty disappointing considering BioWare's track record with inclusive romances in their games.
BioWare probity didn't have as much say in the writing department as they normally do since they were working with Lucasarts. Remember in the Star Wars movies, I don't think there was even one female in the Empire and if there was she was unmemorable. So apparently Lucasarts thinks all women are good girls and never make the first move in a relationship. /rolls-eyes

Darth-Malice
12.29.2011 , 03:00 PM | #42
Well since there are only two known married couples in the known universe it shouldn't come as a shock. First married couple as Padme and Anakin and the other was Senator Organa and his wife. Seriously people don't seem to get married or fall in love in that universe.
||||||||███████████████████████████████)

Evolvana
12.29.2011 , 03:13 PM | #43
It's a lot different in the books, there were some funny ones like "Shadows of the Empire" where Prince Xizor tries to seduce Leia, or "the marriage of Princess Leia" where she flirts with that prince from Hapia.

Darturion
12.29.2011 , 03:16 PM | #44
I wouldn't say it's so much as sexist but a bi-product of priviledge. A lot of straight men developed the game and so they had a perspective and did want more time to develope the game. Probably to go over the pieces, such as, things like these.

I say this as a minority myself and experience normally . It's really not racism, sexism, etc sometimes it's just a bi-product of priviledge.

I actually applaud BioWare on much of the exclusive things they've added (Character Creation etc.) and their commitment to diversity. Hopefully this goes on their table to develop more of.

Lastly, there has got to be a gay male or straight female on the development team though because this is the first game where bums aren't flat on males .

ManOSteal
12.29.2011 , 03:17 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by ClayPeopleCry View Post
BioWare probity didn't have as much say in the writing department as they normally do since they were working with Lucasarts. Remember in the Star Wars movies, I don't think there was even one female in the Empire and if there was she was unmemorable. So apparently Lucasarts thinks all women are good girls and never make the first move in a relationship. /rolls-eyes
i have been waiting for someone to say all of that yeah i am fairly sure in George Lucas's world the whole girls hitting on people and girls hitting on girls thing doesn't happen a lot or at all in the case of girl on girl action...oddly his decrees are also the same reason we will never be able to play jedi or sith wookies.
ị█ị██████iiΘịị█ị_|\███████████DAMN THE MAN SAVE THE EMPIRE███████████)

Borderlad
12.29.2011 , 03:35 PM | #46
Whoever is making the decisions (BW/EA/LA), this is something both noticeable and disappointing. I play both male and female toons. The guys do have way more opportunities to flirt, and it makes no sense.

There should be more flirting opportunities for the girls or fewer for the boys.
Either way is fine... they should simply have about the same amount, is all.

Having this difference serves no useful purpose.

Squadron 238

dashspeed
12.29.2011 , 03:43 PM | #47
Well, I'd like to point something out.

Not giving as many flirt options doesn't make the developers SEXIST. This has absolutely nothing to do with sexism. It's like calling the developers homophobic because there aren't same-sex flirt options/romance either, which I don't think is a valid reason for tagging Bioware as anything but a very open-minded game developer when they answer such questions with "there will be in the future".

I think the flirt options were mostly male -> female because of time constraints. We all know that ME3 will feature every type of romance option, so it's not about restricting "on purpose" such content in an MMO.

Although I'm more of an advocate for same sex flirt options, I can also understand why females have much less options; I think they tried to push out the basic/launch content that will be used by most of the community, and that is hetero males.

I have absolutely no doubt that more female flirt options will come in game. You have to admit that most of your companions don't really fit what you really want... (unless you're into wookies or lizards, haha!), but I do agree that, given the current state of the game, it's a bit disconcerting that we will probably need to wait until either content patches or expansions to see more flirt/social options for everybody that's been ignored in the Retail 1.0 version.

Darth_Vicente
12.29.2011 , 04:57 PM | #48
Female agent gets flirt options as early as the second or third story mission.

Female Inquisitors don't get a flirt option until Alderaan. Compare this to MALE Inquisitors who have had the option to have sex at least twice by this point.
Grand Lord of The Sovereign Aeons Server: Ebon Hawk
The Kinslayer Legacy
Darth Näeblis | Darth Lanfear| Lord Ra'hvin| Cipher Agent Aludra| Ziare, Imperial Loyalist|Apprentice Telv'isa'sdra|Apprentice Gwynofar|Master Lews-Therin

SuperPixie
12.29.2011 , 05:00 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by shinyelf View Post
Both my Bountyhunter and Imperial Agent has had plenty of opportunity to flirt.
I think that perhaps you are looking at this the wring way, in the sense that while male troopers and Jedi are strong figures, they are also then kind of person that one might expect to flirt, wheras a strong woman, like troopers or jedi, value their independence and is seen by the general populace as an unattainable figure.
This is of course based entirely on my own notions, but to me it seems logical (plus stereotyping men as ***** bastards never seems to fail when you wanna earn some cheap laughs)
so ur saying strong females dont flirt or have fun?......

KiraDragon
12.29.2011 , 05:25 PM | #50
well I know from experience that the female smuggler can be kissed and proposed to by corso...honestly I'd hate to have to remake characters into males (being a female and not really into playing some dude thank you) just to see the romance options..was going to ask if you play all female characters do you have companions later on that you can romance or is it completely sexist the whole time..