Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Crazyeyexl
12.26.2011 , 12:43 PM | #501
/signed

I won't even go into a warzone because of it.

Leilei
12.26.2011 , 12:50 PM | #502
One solution would be to change all the abilities to have a cast time equal to the animation.

That would make it feel more like champions online which IMO was funner than WoW

Xcore
12.26.2011 , 12:50 PM | #503
Quote: Originally Posted by Leilei View Post
I cant get this to happen for my smuggler. I can use underworld medicine -> another ability in quick succesion the MOMENT my underworld medicine finishes casting

The cast bar hasnt disappeared yet but as long as I get to max cast time I can use another ability.
I don't know what to say if you can replicate it, there is enough anecdotal evidence in this thread to support the claim. Perhaps try the longest casting ability you have and spam your following ability .2-.3 sec before the first finishes?

and do this on a whole rotation, don't wait for animations to finish... before hitting the next key, be faster, make the rotation as crisp as possible so that there is no split second of your character not "doing something"

Basically Shatter Combo in WoW as a Frost Mage... I think that explains it well to a degree... (also the setup to the shatter combo)...

Cassanna
12.26.2011 , 12:50 PM | #504
Agree with this. Interrupts are hit or miss for me. Sometimes they'll go off when I hit them and the animation plays next, but other times I have to wait longer than I should after an an instant ability. The end result is PvP feels clunky. Yes I have the ability queue set to 0. It's just really annoying to watch an ability not go off or take longer because the animation stutters from spamming the button (which you feel like you have to do) or waiting for the animation to finish.

Leilei
12.26.2011 , 12:52 PM | #505
Quote: Originally Posted by Xcore View Post
I don't know what to say if you can replicate it, there is enough anecdotal evidence in this thread to support the claim. Perhaps try the longest casting ability you have and spam your following ability .2-.3 sec before the first finishes?

and do this on a whole rotation, don't wait for animations to finish... before hitting the next key, be faster, make the rotation as crisp as possible so that there is no split second of your character not "doing something"

Basically Shatter Combo in WoW as a Frost Mage... I think that explains it well to a degree... (also the setup to the shatter combo)...
I did say I used diagnostic scan and other moves RIGHT WHEN my cast bar fills up when I use underworld medicine

I also tried it with charged blast and I get the effect of BOOMBOOMBOOMPEWPEWPEWPEW when I chain charged blast -> flurry of bolts.

Shadowcatra
12.26.2011 , 12:54 PM | #506
I have found this to be an issue, especially tanking, missing a Sundering Assault because of this bug is a huge pain. Although I have found that this bug occurs more only when in groups or when multiple people are around, but I have rarely had this happen in PvP. It seems random at most, but it is a very annoying issue

Mandemalex
12.26.2011 , 12:54 PM | #507
Quote: Originally Posted by Leilei View Post
One solution would be to change all the abilities to have a cast time equal to the animation.
Funny, that a solution that effectively 'changes' nothing - would actually be perfect.

I don't mind Lightning Shock to have a longer cast time, so long as it doesn't lie to me about the cast time

But definitely a good idea, that would save weeks, if not months in re-programming!

Also from a balance point of view, i'm sure it is mostly based on cast timers and what someone can do in the space of 3 seconds or whatever... but with this ability-delay... this would be very hard, if not impossible to judge and balance.

I really do think something like this should be changed.

mbernert
12.26.2011 , 12:56 PM | #508
Not sure why people would post here only to say they don't agree and ****. If you don't agree great, but no need to be offensive about your precious game.

A few have said its not going to effect the population. I myself cancled my sub the very night i created it. I may be only 1, but millions are made up of 1s, remember that.

While canceling a sub might be an extreme this early in the game. I've seen this exact issue in so many other mmos in the last 10 years that I have little faith left it will be changed.

To those who are not noticing the problem. Great, I hope you have a good time, sincerely, no pun intended.

I think this problem could be compared to say a game of chess. Some people would play only to have fun, no caring at all about strategy, the rules of the game, or winning. While that is nice, I myself like the competition feel. I like trying to stategize, form a plan, have a person playing against me that makes me think and try harder. The current combat system takes that element out of combat for me.

Maybe myself I am asking for just a straight up, carbon copy of wows combat, and some might say then this game isn't for you. I can live with that, and move on. But having worked in a customer service field for 10 years I can tell you, if enough people see this as an issue, bioware will NEED to address it, whether its a broken mechanic or not.

Leilei
12.26.2011 , 12:57 PM | #509
ITs going to be merely a UI change. People who dont want the channel/cast time change can use how its working right now. If everyone is good with that we can make a shorter post summarizing everything and sending it over to the devs or something o.o

Edit :
If mods get supported we should be able to make this solution as a mod

Rendekar
12.26.2011 , 12:57 PM | #510
I guess this is one of the typical cases where you cannot get a response from developers of the game. If it was fixable, they would have fixed it long time ago in the beta. All other issues they recognize now were working without a problem in at least one of the beta builds.