Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore
12.25.2011 , 09:04 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Engeven View Post
This is an amazing post, I was expecting a hate post but this post is pretty good and constructive.

It's already too damn difficult to explain what this is, I think majority of people will not understand what exactly OP means but as a gamer who played most of the MMOs, I totally get it and I couldn't have explained it any better.

It's a FEELING which prevents me commit too much to any other game than wow. WoW is awesome about this. this feeling will be less disturbing as we get used to gameplay by playing a lot (again speaking with my MMO experience) however at the end of the day we will realize wow just feels more right. But I will try not to quit swtor because of this since this is an amazing game and I will try to get used to it as much as I can.
Exactly, and this Feeling that is so hard to describe is essentially the connection (real time connection) to your Avatar which is "how he/she/it responds to your commands" in real time. If there is any weirdness about it (ability delay... animation incorrectness etc.) you feel immediate disconnect and frustration.

WoW connects us to the Avatar the best, that is the secret to WoWs success.... "I believe"

Seismax
12.25.2011 , 09:05 PM | #12
Completely agree with everything you're saying, there will of course be people that are perfectly willing to accept this for no discernible reason. Regardless it is an issue, and resolving it could only enhance people's enjoyment of the game.

Artifexx
12.25.2011 , 09:05 PM | #13
I play a smuggler and it's especially bad and frustrating at times.

I can play PVE with it, but pvp is just too much of a hassle. Please fix this asap!

Jaku
12.25.2011 , 09:07 PM | #14
I've played WoW since it started, did a lot of competitive PvE/PvP, and I honestly do not notice any ability lag. Everything is instant for me, and the only thing I've noticed that lags after its cast bar finishes is the speeder.

When I hit an ability it instantly goes off, I'm not really sure what other way to put it.

But I don't doubt that it's happening to a lot of people, so I'm in no way saying it's not a problem. Hopefully Bioware knows of the issue and can fix it quickly.
"Your chances come in two shapes. Slim, and fat." - Mace Windu

Quote:
This is a story driven story.

Lucetar
12.25.2011 , 09:11 PM | #15
He says what we are all thinking!!

Sycleoth
12.25.2011 , 09:11 PM | #16
Thanks for posting this, this is something that has been bothering me for some time. I just hope that this post is kept alive for when the BioWare staff return from the holiday.

+1 to you sir for explaining it so well.

Xcore
12.25.2011 , 09:13 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Artifexx View Post
I play a smuggler and it's especially bad and frustrating at times.

I can play PVE with it, but pvp is just too much of a hassle. Please fix this asap!

Yep, I play Gunslinger (lots of cast time) and PvE you get by because its easy enough/forgiving (at these levels anyways) but PvP its very noticable... perhaps also because there is some other underlying optimization issues in Warzones but either way it is more pronounced in PvP.

Seismax
12.25.2011 , 09:13 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Jaku View Post
I've played WoW since it started, did a lot of competitive PvE/PvP, and I honestly do not notice any ability lag. Everything is instant for me, and the only thing I've noticed that lags after its cast bar finishes is the speeder.

When I hit an ability it instantly goes off, I'm not really sure what other way to put it.

But I don't doubt that it's happening to a lot of people, so I'm in no way saying it's not a problem. Hopefully Bioware knows of the issue and can fix it quickly.
It isn't so much start up time that I've felt is lagging, rather the finishing window on everything.

It's not that first attack that lags, it's that abilities don't smoothly transition into each other, as if the gcd and the attacks themselves are having a disconnect.

Well, it's hard to describe but that's been my impression.

lethal_ghost
12.25.2011 , 09:14 PM | #19
great post, i think more casual players will notice it less as they are not taking ever fight to the edge as much. In pvp or end game bosses a missed or delayed skill means a wipe or death, so it is important to hit the skills in time (when one animation ends you know its time for X move) but animation, global cool downs and execution just dont seem to match up correctly. This makes it feel unresponsive and results in skills not activating when they look like they should.

Xcore
12.25.2011 , 09:14 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Seismax View Post
It isn't so much start up time that I've felt is lagging, rather the finishing window on everything.

It's not that first attack that lags, it's that abilities don't smoothly transition into each other, as if the gcd and the attacks themselves are having a disconnect.

Well, it's hard to describe but that's been my impression.
I agree, I feel it most in a "Rotation"... like when I try to chain several abilities and cooldowns.