Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Izorii
12.25.2011 , 11:26 PM | #101
I agree witht he OP (if I understand it). When I click an attack I need the attack to happen not to have my JC get a sack of rocks from his robes, put them on the floor then slowly summon up the power to throw thoese rocks at a droid. The biggest one I have noticed was with healing. Even after the insnaly long 3 second casting time he then creates the green healing orb and it moves over to the person needing healing, by which point they are dead.
I don't mind the .5 second global cool down just adds a bit of tatics into the game but the fact that even when I trigger and attack (or any ability) there is a delay of it working is the killer.

jtype_sw
12.25.2011 , 11:29 PM | #102
Agreed 100%.

If this isn't fixed by the end of the free 30 days, I am not going to come back.

lethal_ghost
12.25.2011 , 11:33 PM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by jtype_sw View Post
Agreed 100%.

If this isn't fixed by the end of the free 30 days, I am not going to come back.
i think im i the same boat ill get to 50 by the end of the 30 days and if BW have not said they are on it im gone

Kakarris
12.25.2011 , 11:36 PM | #104
Don't really have anything to add. I support this thread.

ShadowMasterRP
12.25.2011 , 11:37 PM | #105
I noticed right away that instant abilities were not instant at all.

And that's only compounded by various ability animation problems.
I've already had several cases where I performed a 3.0 second channeled ability animation only to end up not having actually performed the ability itself (didn't go on cooldown and I was able to use it right away afterwards).

They really overdid it with the various fancy animations for buffs and whatnot too. I like the way the animations look, but 99% of the time I don't have the time to see them: I use the ability and instantly start moving or attacking with some other abilities so the animation is lost anyway since it's so slow.

But aye, the delay itself is the biggest issue.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength; through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory; through victory, my chains are broken.

Feskitt
12.25.2011 , 11:42 PM | #106
Would someone answer/confirm my post? Cause I'm not sure I'm getting many points raised in this thread.

I'm personally having no problem; not sure what I'm missing?

Quote: Originally Posted by Feskitt View Post

Hmmm... I'm a lvl 47 BH Merc.

So folks are saying that the animation is taking too long, that when you hit a key, it should instantly fire off (or start charging) whatever attack that key is bound to?

How would you have realistic animations under that scenario? People in the SW universe aren't that spastic. 'Cept maybe Han, shooting Greedo!

(also, if it effects all classes, isn't it 'balanced' in that regard?)

Tracer Missile wasn't even close to a Merc's most powerful attack.
Suckwads spammed it, other suckwads lost to it.
Most apparently didn't even know they had an interrupt. Smart nerf, BW!

anasa
12.25.2011 , 11:43 PM | #107
This is the only thread in the general forum trash that is actually valuable.

Combat clumsiness should be the #1 issue right now It must be fixed since it represents the skeleton for the rest of the game.

Leilei
12.25.2011 , 11:44 PM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by ShadowMasterRP View Post
I noticed right away that instant abilities were not instant at all.

And that's only compounded by various ability animation problems.
I've already had several cases where I performed a 3.0 second channeled ability animation only to end up not having actually performed the ability itself (didn't go on cooldown and I was able to use it right away afterwards).

They really overdid it with the various fancy animations for buffs and whatnot too. I like the way the animations look, but 99% of the time I don't have the time to see them: I use the ability and instantly start moving or attacking with some other abilities so the animation is lost anyway since it's so slow.

But aye, the delay itself is the biggest issue.

At least they didnt make it so you are rooted when an animation is taking place o.o

Edit : fes theres nothig wrong with your post just like theres nothing wrong withtheirs.

Youre like me and want to watch the animations in a realistic manner while they want theirs speedy like fps style games.

The main problem with your post is when people get tense and or rushy. When the calm is taken out and they really want that heal to go off now because teres a rancor running after him n stuff. At those kinds of points there starts to be a disconnect with the player and the animations. And the general timing.

If you were calm and ahead of the system youre fine. If you rush and pace yourself too quickly, 0.5 secs feels like an eternity. Base that on the fact that they liked wows fps like responses make it even harder toget used to.

On tje other hand if you bring in someone who plays monster hunter or other slower paced games, theyre right at home.

Eboo-Kauri
12.25.2011 , 11:48 PM | #109
was a big pvper in wow....absolutely hate what has become of wow and hate fan bois in general...however...wow got this aspect right.i love this game but i've had times as a healer where im spamming my next ability while im casting and it never triggers and uses my cd!!!!as a healer i cant just tunnel vision one person i have to be able to interact with the ui as seamlessly as possible...any button lag means an extra opportunity for someone to die in pvp. this is prolly my biggest issue right now because it affects everything in the game say maybe space combat
Eboo
Widowmakers
I'm the droid you're looking for

Jebazel
12.25.2011 , 11:50 PM | #110
/signed

It seems to happen at certain times on all the servers I've played.

Volume must be playing a part.

HATE dying to the lag beast of no control...