Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Halacs
12.26.2011 , 08:10 PM | #1001
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkimor View Post
baznasty, your video was simplistically perfect. Now it's just a matter of getting the others to understand (that want to understand, not the trolls obviously). So you're good on your end.

Explaining it a different way though, like you're doing, doesn't hurt though!

I'll break dance naked through Beverly Hills if Bioware promises to fix this.
Some don't seem to want to understand. If you compare this game to anything else they stop listening.

I want this game to succeed.
Proper Dual spec please.
Free flying space combat
Cross server PVP, OP's, & FP's
Fix Ability Delay/misfire

shuffell
12.26.2011 , 08:10 PM | #1002
Great OP,

I fully agree, animations and GCDs should match up.

Hopefully there working on it.

Tinkersw
12.26.2011 , 08:11 PM | #1003
Quote: Originally Posted by Halacs View Post
Some don't seem to want to understand. If you compare this game to anything else they stop listening.

I want this game to succeed.
Agree!

CharagonIGN
12.26.2011 , 08:11 PM | #1004
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Blaster View Post
I beleive it to be completely an animation problem. They have priotized the animation over the ability.
If that's true, then everybody at BioWare needs to go back to Game Design 101.

Halacs
12.26.2011 , 08:12 PM | #1005
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Blaster View Post
I beleive it to be completely an animation problem. They have priotized the animation over the ability. If they could make it possible to clip the animation when the next ability goes off, I think it would solve alot of the problems.
I'm no expert but what you're saying sounds good.
Proper Dual spec please.
Free flying space combat
Cross server PVP, OP's, & FP's
Fix Ability Delay/misfire

Rafkin
12.26.2011 , 08:12 PM | #1006
i have two abilities that ignore the global cooldown, however, they will not go off until the previous abilities animation is done. This makes abilties that ignkre the gcd pointless

duckybro
12.26.2011 , 08:12 PM | #1007
Quote: Originally Posted by baznasty View Post
I think some of you are misunderstanding the point of my video. http://youtu.be/mj6LD6H0ys8

The point of this is to show you when a move is done casting you should be able to cast the next thing. Now, 2 instant cast moves shouldn't be able to immediately be cast on top of each because the GCD governs this.

But, when a move is longer than the GCD the move's end should signify a point when you can IMMEDIATELY cast another move....period.

I could have just as easily displayed this by being at a target dummy and casting frostbolts back to back to back with 0 downtime in between.
this is exactly the point. thank you for making this video

Gorgewall
12.26.2011 , 08:13 PM | #1008
Quote: Originally Posted by Hiramas View Post
Im explaining it again. There is nothing wrong with having a different system than WoW.
But when the GCD ends, you should be able to do your next move. And if that is an instant cast, it is so.
Nobody here talked about when the enemy is affected by your ability.
This is solely about your move, its animations and the corresponding UI response being somehow out of sync.
Right. But I haven't experienced any issue where I haven't been able to use an ability due to a conflicting animation, despite GCD being up. Every time the GCD enables me to use another ability, I can fire it off. But those abilities don't necessarily impact instantly, either--Grav Round is on a 1.5s cast time, and almost instantly impacts, but Demolition Round is an instant ability that has some travel time. I can fire off Demolition Round even as the blue laser from Grav Round is still in the air, but Demo Round isn't doing anything until it impacts its target.

The one exception is using High Impact Bolt after using Grav Round, if the target hasn't been afflicted by Grav Round's status effect (which enables the use of HIB) yet. But that's because, as of the time I press HIB, Grav Round hasn't "hit" and applied its debuff yet. Grav Round -> HIB might not work, but Grav Round -> Grav Round -> HIB does just fine.

If there are abilities that aren't syncing up properly, sure, fix those, but that's more an error with individual abilities and not a failing of the system as a whole, the latter of which is the point that most of the people in the thread seem to be making. "It's not like WoW where everything occurs .1 seconds after you press the button (or sooner) regardless of animation, so it must be wrong" is a bunch of crap.

mattjgibson
12.26.2011 , 08:15 PM | #1009
Completely agree and /signed.

This is what I always try to explain to people what WoW does the best. Fluidity of character movements based on what you're telling your avatar to do. WoW does it second to none.

SWTOR is very good (by far second best), but still not even in the same league as WoW.

Master-Blaster
12.26.2011 , 08:17 PM | #1010
Quote: Originally Posted by baznasty View Post
I think some of you are misunderstanding the point of my video. http://youtu.be/mj6LD6H0ys8

The point of this is to show you when a move is done casting you should be able to cast the next thing. Now, 2 instant cast moves shouldn't be able to immediately be cast on top of each because the GCD governs this.

But, when a move is longer than the GCD the move's end should signify a point when you can IMMEDIATELY cast another move....period.

I could have just as easily displayed this by being at a target dummy and casting frostbolts back to back to back with 0 downtime in between.
You have nailed it exactly. Wow allows you to skip an animation so the ability can go off. This is all SW:TOR needs to make it amazing. I can live with the other bugs till they can get them fixed.
"Too old, too old he is"......Yes, Yoda was a pervert.