Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars Galaxies

rtackett
12.14.2011 , 11:32 AM | #111
i stopped playing SWG when they announced it was closing.

TheHarmless
12.14.2011 , 11:35 AM | #112
SWG was super nostalgic for me, too. I wish I could access my account and say goodbye.

;_;
Siriae Meik
SWG-Starsider, SWG-Emu

Slappywag
12.14.2011 , 04:19 PM | #113
SWG was great. I had a lot of good times on there, for sure. It was great fun for a long time, but all good things must come to an end. The NGE was...painful. So was CU, in all honesty. It was, by far, the best sandbox MMO (and one of the only ones) of all time.

Now we have TOR, though. While it isn't a sandbox (and it really couldn't ever be just by the cost of animations alone, *), I think we've got a good foundation for a game we'll all be enjoying a couple years down the road still. Who knows? So far, so good though, right?

(* I mean - seriously. I have no idea how much it would cost to maintain the same cinematic cuts, animations, etc in a sandbox world nor do I have any interest whatsoever in trying to add it all up, but I get the feeling it would be a lot. A LOT. So give 'em a break and let's see what this game evolves into and maybe they'll give us Kel Dor, Wookies, etc etc.)

Gundiok
12.14.2011 , 05:44 PM | #114
Was posting in another thread, which was locked...

Haven't played in years, but the only parts of SWG I miss are the memories pre-holocrons, which unfortunately lasted around 6 months from release.

The game had some great potential. One of the best crafting and resource gathering systems in any MMO to date. The open skill tree pre NGE gave players choice. The housing and guild cities facilitated user generated content... it was a blast. The one major flaw was lack of content, I'm sure everyone could agree. But it was a sandbox MMO, and I believe the players did well creating content for themselves.

I led our guild division on Lowca in the early months, with some 300+ players. I remember the first week making massive guild death runs to Endor in the first week to farm 999 quality resources, and the fields of harvesters on Naboo, nearly 1500 of them total before we could make the mid and larger size. Eight days to get my architect to grand master, factories building more factories and having two guildhalls built and placed on Tatooine.

MASSIVE pvp battles with our largest nemesis, Goon Squad. With a tight grip around all the top resources we made a fortune selling the best weapons and armor you could find on any server. In fact over time, we had people transferring servers just to buy Macross made weapons and transfering back. I remember a gang load of us speccing Commando up the fire tree, tamer for two grauls and medic, running around killing poor imperials and their brand new shinny AT-STs.

Then the holocrons came out.... People stopped pvping for the most part. Stopped defending the city, stopped mastering their professions. All the fun seemed to get sucked right out of the game. It was every man for himself, a race to be the first jedi... killing witches 24/7. This is what ended the game for me. I came back years later to experience jump to lightspeed, and that was fun. But the game was never the same as it was those first 6 months.

I know I'm probably the minority, but I'm so tired of the cookie cutter MMOs today. I'm still waiting for the next mmo which incorporates all the things that SWG did right and none of the things it did wrong......it wont be TOR, but maybe something else...

Ruberduckofdeath
12.14.2011 , 05:52 PM | #115
I have always missed the Pre-CU SWG. Being one of few to unlock Jedi and being able to PvP openly was amazing. Player Cities and Bases made it one of a kind. I would love to go back to it on the full scale it once was. Really sad to see it go (Pre-CU)

CU sucked and ruined it as we all know, it is time to lay it to rest.

If only someone else was able to create player cities, houses and bases again . . .
SWG - Eclipse/Oasis - Elder Jedi Ricko

Wildcardmlm
12.14.2011 , 06:44 PM | #116
I have fond memories as a Jedi hunting bounty hunter. Nothing like waiting just out of radar range for a hiding Jedi to come out of their house and then it was lightning cannon time

Rtech
12.14.2011 , 07:11 PM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by daedenilus View Post
thank god they are shutting that horrible game down! i've been asking for that, for a long while. Just really hoping they go bankrupt and all the idiots at SOE end up on the streets and picking food out of dumpsters
Since when was the last time you played SWG? SWG was really becoming a better mmorpg the last 2-3 years. Granted, the population on some of the servers had decreased. I played SWG for 8 years and in my opinion it was the best mmorpg on the market.

Sure, I was angry about cu/nge and all that but, I came back and had a blast the last few years with the game. Like others have said the crafting was awesome, I think the addition of instances and all the gcw additions made the game alot better.

SWG had alot of depth with crafting, combat and it had something for everyone be...but, you are entitled to your own opinion.
Cashoe
/__R_e_d___D_r_a_g_o_n___P_l_a_t_o_o_n__\

- The Darkside!. -

rob-darkstar
12.14.2011 , 07:33 PM | #118
6 years later people are still bitter about the NGE....Hard to believe.

I played for 90% of the games life and enjoyed it. But I have to say it should've been shut down a couple of years ago when they closed most of the servers. PvE turned into a token grind and PvP turned into which side had the Dire BH's to snare the 3rd floor of the med center in restuss. Oh and /assist lol.

SgtGrumbles
12.14.2011 , 07:34 PM | #119
SWG was a good game before the devs botched it with NGE. CU i didn't mind too much, got everyone out of composite armour. shouldn't have had jedi in that game either, because there weren't supposed to be any during the dark times anyway, but too many people would have QQ'd about it.

Hidalgo
12.14.2011 , 08:18 PM | #120
It's funny to read all the hate(potentially troll) comments posted by inflamed pre-nge users. The only bad thing the NGE brought to teh game was the mass reduction in classes and terrible lag. The lag got better, and they added multiple talent trees for each profession to kind of make up for the class destruction.

The game had more content and more ways to make your own content, had a combat system which was not broken or ruled by any single class. a great social sandbox with enjoyable PvP and PvE, But most people just remember being a pissed off 13 year old when the game changed, so that's how they feel now lol.
I used to play on Sunrunner, but then ... now i play on Prophecy of the Five.
SAIL!
Prophecy of The five Forums
Blame it on my A.D.D. baby...